At What Speed do you just say screw it...

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Most the police and people I talk to say that only time a no chase rule applies is with motorcycles and that usually only state troopers go after bikes, not true? This was awhile back though...

And I don't condone this course of action but when people say "you can't outrun the radio", That is why if you plan on running you don't stay on the same road, I mean seriously... If the cop is behind you because he is too far back or his view is obstructed get off the highway take a boat load of turns and either get the heck out of dodge or park your car in a spot and get out.

I had a not so bright friend going 65 in a 45, instead of stopping he floored it got enough distance and went into a wendys parking lot. He got out and went a few stores over and had someone pick him up all before his car was surrounded by like 3 cop cars.

The cops waited there for hours! Not sure why they didn't just tow his car, he never got in trouble but was a huge gamble.

I dont encourage this, just think it is easier to get away then some people think. Then again easier to get hurt....

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Ok, lets try this, your 16 year old kid is killed by someone being pushed by the cops. they have been in high speed pursuit for over 5 minutes. I'd want some ass.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
Last Few car chases around my area resulted in the police shooting the driver and then a funeral. Luckily this last 70 year old guy lived after being shot 5x.

I'd say, Just stop and admit to going fast. if you know you're had, it's better than a shoot out. If you got the balls not to, and you know it wouldn't be the first time....Just watch out for the radio and don't make any mistakes.

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
There's a 800 HP SRT8 Dodge Challenger 392, a 750 HP Dodge Charger, and a few other high-powered units around here, including a C6Z06.

They don't play down here......if you ain't stopping, you better be hauling some serious ass.

HELLFYR

Back in the game
Established Member
See, around here you may as well keep running. If you are caught at triple digits, they WILL run you down and it is automatic license suspension and jail time if there is ANY wreckless endangerment (consider that pretty much every case). No questions asked.

Not condoning it, just stating the facts.

Does me no good to run, my car is too readily recognized (and slow). :)

MGC

Established Member
Ok, lets try this, your 16 year old kid is killed by someone being pushed by the cops. they have been in high speed pursuit for over 5 minutes. I'd want some ass.

You're right, I'd blame the jackass who ran from the police... I think most logical people would.

In your scenario, the police chasing is a byproduct of the criminal fleeing, so if they stopped chasing there is no guarantee that the same 16 year old would not be killed, as the criminal has already shown disregard for the law, so why would he slow down if they stop chasing?

Not to mention, police are trained for high speed pursuits, if anyone is going to make a fatal mistake it likely won't be the people who are trained to drive like that.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
So are some of us.

He did NOT say high speed driving. There is HUGE difference is being trained for high speed driving and being trained for high speed pursuits.

High speed driving is what the asshole I am chasing is doing. He is NOT using ANY due regard for the safety of other drivers. He is doing everything he can to get away from me.

High speed pursuit driving is me chasing that asshole while still avoiding the tunnel vision that those speeds produce. I am always cognitive of my surroundings, including other motorists, traffic warning signs, traffic lights, etc....and I am still required to operate at those speeds with a due regard for safety to other people.

To the other post in reference to my child being hurt/killed as an innocent person as the result of a pursuit, this scenario actually has happened. I know of one LEO that had a child killed in an auto accident that resulted from a pursuit. The turd running caused it blowing through a red light. He was wanted in an armed bank robbery. That LEO totally held the LEO that was giving chase NOT accountable for the actions of the felon that was fleeing. I know it is a hard pill to swallow, but INNOCENT people have NO REASON to run.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
My departments rules are "don't chase in the SUV". Now that we don't have a SUV....you run, you get chased and ran down.

Now this would be fun! But seriously I know our city police and sheriffs hate to chase after 130ish range especially once curves are involved the cruisers can keep up on a highway if you top out around 150-160 but where they always get lost is curves and repeated breaking.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
If I knew about a punk smart ass officer going THAT fast (endangering the public X2), driving MY cruiser (YES, MY tax dollars) .... I'd raise holy hell. I know many officers in various local PD's ... One a captain, he says (I've asked him "what if - speeding questions) his boys have 60 (or 90 seconds) to call in and get "permission" to pursue, and 98% of the time I tell them NOT to (as long as no other cars are involved, not involved in a crime, etc, .... Said "it's you VS the deer .... Knock yourself out"). We also discussed hot headed cops cops (young and old), are the first to get FIRED. Says it creates too much unwanted and negative public perception ... Nothing more of a headache then a young cop, or even a older one with a chip on his shoulder. My punk ass, change the world neighbor kid cop (long since been fired now), tried to nail me one night on a multitude of charges including fleeing. OK for him and his daddy (still lives at home) to do John Force style burnouts in front of their house. So, long story short, let's just say I MADE him follow me home one night ... And yes, ALL charges were dropped instantly, oh wait ... Bargained a 10 dollar "equipment violation". My point is: you younger, change the world cops .... Watch your ass and don't forget who pays your salary. Wanna get ballsy, got a real set between your legs ? ...... Go pull over a carload of "animals" on the south side of town ... Quit picking of the pretty boys (sober and clean) going a few MPH over.

I don't think some of you cops will ever get it, or will come back highly defensive at me. Before you do, take ONE minute to think about my (our) taxpayers and upright citizens perspective.

Basically what I'm saying is, you want to change your community ? .... Quit picking on "well to do" speeders, and go use your "profiling skills" and get out there and make a difference (again, if you got the balls). I know some of you like to power trip on us "well to do" middle/upper class .... Step outside your realm and make a difference.

Now, my turn to get flamed .... But don't let your emotions blind what I just said, because "some" of it may hold some validity.

Wow man, you just have all the answers, don't you? It must be nice to judge other people's decisions from the safety of your "middle/upper class" keyboard, while real men and women are actually out there, doing the dirty work. But you just keep thinking the way you do, with your holier than thou, entitlement mentality. It makes for a good read.

(On second thought, it was actually damn near impossible to read that rambling, drivel of a post). Good day to you sir.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Passing you some BC Powders brother! They always work well against these types of headaches.

I appreciate you having my back brother! :beer
I too chase everything and have been for the past 24 years.

WOT 88

Established Member
If I knew about a punk smart ass officer going THAT fast (endangering the public X2), driving MY cruiser (YES, MY tax dollars) .... I'd raise holy hell. I know many officers in various local PD's ... One a captain, he says (I've asked him "what if - speeding questions) his boys have 60 (or 90 seconds) to call in and get "permission" to pursue, and 98% of the time I tell them NOT to (as long as no other cars are involved, not involved in a crime, etc, .... Said "it's you VS the deer .... Knock yourself out"). We also discussed hot headed cops cops (young and old), are the first to get FIRED. Says it creates too much unwanted and negative public perception ... Nothing more of a headache then a young cop, or even a older one with a chip on his shoulder. My punk ass, change the world neighbor kid cop (long since been fired now), tried to nail me one night on a multitude of charges including fleeing. OK for him and his daddy (still lives at home) to do John Force style burnouts in front of their house. So, long story short, let's just say I MADE him follow me home one night ... And yes, ALL charges were dropped instantly, oh wait ... Bargained a 10 dollar "equipment violation". My point is: you younger, change the world cops .... Watch your ass and don't forget who pays your salary. Wanna get ballsy, got a real set between your legs ? ...... Go pull over a carload of "animals" on the south side of town ... Quit picking of the pretty boys (sober and clean) going a few MPH over.

I don't think some of you cops will ever get it, or will come back highly defensive at me. Before you do, take ONE minute to think about my (our) taxpayers and upright citizens perspective.

Basically what I'm saying is, you want to change your community ? .... Quit picking on "well to do" speeders, and go use your "profiling skills" and get out there and make a difference (again, if you got the balls). I know some of you like to power trip on us "well to do" middle/upper class .... Step outside your realm and make a difference.

Now, my turn to get flamed .... But don't let your emotions blind what I just said, because "some" of it may hold some validity.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
You're right, I'd blame the jackass who ran from the police... I think most logical people would.

In your scenario, the police chasing is a byproduct of the criminal fleeing, so if they stopped chasing there is no guarantee that the same 16 year old would not be killed, as the criminal has already shown disregard for the law, so why would he slow down if they stop chasing?

Not to mention, police are trained for high speed pursuits, if anyone is going to make a fatal mistake it likely won't be the people who are trained to drive like that.

Think it through before posting, the guy running would have probably slowed down as soon as he thought the cops were off his back, get real.

I'd blame both of them.

"Not to mention, police are trained for high speed pursuits, if anyone is going to make a fatal mistake it likely won't be the people who are trained to drive like that."

Yeah ok.

Last edited:

DNT H8

Established Member
The Leo's in here that "chase everything" are only after the adrenaline and the ability to drive like they are in the dukes of hazard... Cat and mouse. No blame I can see the attraction...

Fact remains there is a point were a chase is dangerous to civilians, and you "Leo's" KNOW IT. At that point put your pride aside and know when to stop the chase, use real police work to track down the bad guy. Crime has no bearing...

I for one have seen far to many you tube vids of poor civilians being killed from a high Speed chase.

JST A HDA

Established Member
The Leo's in here that "chase everything" are only after the adrenaline and the ability to drive like they are in the dukes of hazard... Cat and mouse. No blame I can see the attraction...

Fact remains there is a point were a chase is dangerous to civilians, and you "Leo's" KNOW IT. At that point put your pride aside and know when to stop the chase, use real police work to track down the bad guy. Crime has no bearing...

I for one have seen far to many you tube vids of poor civilians being killed from a high Speed chase.

My last chase that was for "adrenaline and the ability to drive like they are in the dukes of hazard" got me 11.2 grams of Meth, 50 grams of weed, 5 stolen phones, 3 stolen GPS's, 3 stolen laptops, countless other stolen property, video of him actually breaking into houses and stealing the property, video of him actually selling drugs and the fact that he ran from our State Patrol 4 months earlier, wrecked his dads van, fled on foot and got away.

Its not called wanting "adrenaline and wanting to be like the dukes of hazard." Its called doing our JOB moron.

You must of voted for Obama too. :bash:

silver03svt

Established Member
Think it through before posting, the guy running would have probably slowed down as soon as he thought the cops were off his back, get real.
I'd blame both of them.

"Not to mention, police are trained for high speed pursuits, if anyone is going to make a fatal mistake it likely won't be the people who are trained to drive like that."

Yeah ok.

So not the case. The people running are more likely to keep running because they know that police in area will be looking for them more diligently. They want/need to get as far away as possible, hence why they keep going.

I could care less about the adrenaline rush. In 15 years, I have been in more pursuits than I can count. I've caught many a suspect WITHOUT incident of any type, other than the suspect crashing and not involving other parties. I've had pursuits where I have intentionally put my cruiser in a position to force the suspect to hit me or stop to protect other people, and I have been in 1 serious crash that totaled out my CV as well as the suspect I was chasing after we both got hit by a tractor-trailer. For me, it is not the adrenaline rush. For me, it is about letting people know that if you run, I will chase you and catch you.

Another uninformed statement. Again, as in the adrenaline case, it is not about pride. It is about performing a job I am sworn to do. I don't see where ANY LEO has stated a pursuit is not dangerous. If I missed it, please feel free to quote it and point it out to me. :beer: Crime has no bearing, okay. If I were pursuing a suspect that was believed to have killed your family AFTER raping them all and burned their bodies in your house, and the ONLY information I had was a car tag number that came back to a stolen car from 3 states away, would you want me to pursue that car or let it go and hope that somebody makes a phone call BEFORE the suspects ditches that car and/or does the same horrible stuff to another family?

Of course you have. That's all that's on YT. All the videos of suspects getting caught WITHOUT incident aren't posted. Seriously, how many hits would a video of a short pursuit be when the suspect just pulls over and gives up. People post shit for ratings. If it isn't going to get ratings, why bother posting it? Not to mention, videos where suspects get caught are more than likely being used for evidence in court and are NOT going to be released publicly.

DNT H8

Established Member
You must of voted for Obama too. :bash
Lol I'm about as "right" as you can get... I have about as much tolerance for the left as I do stuck up power hungry arrogant Leo's. You assume all conservatives love ya?? Wrong.

Silver03svt, I see your points and you explained them well... The chases you spoke of were not dangerouse in your professional opinion/experience... My point is do you or do you know when it's time to call it quits... And would you? I'm guessing at this point your muscle memory might counter common sense?
Just cause a guy is cursing at 100 don't make him an axe murder. There is a reasons the autobahn is one of the safest roads in the world.

silver03svt

Established Member
Lol I'm about as "right" as you can get... I have about as much tolerance for the left as I do stuck up power hungry arrogant Leo's. You assume all conservatives love ya?? Wrong.

Silver03svt, I see your points and you explained them well... The chases you spoke of were not dangerouse in your professional opinion/experience... My point is do you or do you know when it's time to call it quits... And would you? I'm guessing at this point your muscle memory might counter common sense?
Just cause a guy is cursing at 100 don't make him an axe murder. There is a reasons the autobahn is one of the safest roads in the world.

Knowing when to call it quits is more of a common sense issue, and many factors come into play into making that determination. The longest pursuit I have been in lasted less than 10 minutes, and that was chasing a Hyabusa. Yes, I caught him and in the process pinned the bike/rider under my rear bumper...lol. I work a busy interstate (I-95). Have I ever terminated a pursuit that I started? Yes. Have I ever had to terminate a pursuit bc a supervisor told me too? Yes. Have I ever NOT caught a suspect I was pursuing? Yes, but that was only bc I had to terminate the pursuit. I never said that the guy running excess of 100 was an axe murderer. But if he keeps driving that fast on a regular basis, odds are he will be a convicted of manslaughter at some point in his life.

Now, in regards to the Autobahn, it is safe because of several factors. If you look at the disciplines and habits of the drivers on the Autobahn, it is extremely different than drivers in the USA. They are more courteous, know NOT to just cruise in the far left lane, they USE their mirrors as intended, and will move over for the faster traffic. You sure as hell won't see that happening much here. Most Americans drive with their heads so far up their own asses that they have to brush their teeth through their pissholes. This is also true in the USA during pursuits. While MOST pursuit crashes may not be able to be avoided, I can almost guarantee you that if people paid more attention to what is going on around them while driving, you would see a reduction is the number of crashes involving other vehicles.

Please DO NOT get me wrong here, as I am not blaming the innocent people in ANY way, shape, or form. I am merely stating that if people had BETTER driving habits overall, the amount of crashes would significantly be reduced (and NOT just pursuit crashes).

MGC

Established Member

I'd blame both of them.

Yeah ok.

I did think it through, it's you who isn't thinking logically. If a LEO stops chasing, guess what they're doing? Setting up roadblocks and a perimeter, any criminal worth his salt would use that time to get out of the area as fast as possible before the perimeter closes in on him.

I think what you're trying to imply is that if you ran and some innocent died as a result, that it would somehow be the LEO's fault, am I right? This is such a dumb conclusion. You guys are worried about fines and some jail time for speeding, so your answer is to run? I shouldn't need to explain how incredibly stupid that is.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. If you're caught speeding, pull over and take the consequences like a man, it's far more cowardly and stupid to compound the danger and risk killing someone just because you are scared of some fines.

I have racing experience, and can drive pretty good, because of this I think my maturity has shown itself in that I realize the risks involved in driving fast, therefore I'm responsible enough to keep it on the track where the only person I could really hurt is myself.

Users who are viewing this thread