At What Speed do you just say screw it...

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Silver03svt, I see your points and you explained them well... The chases you spoke of were not dangerouse in your professional opinion/experience... My point is do you or do you know when it's time to call it quits... And would you? I'm guessing at this point your muscle memory might counter common sense?
Just cause a guy is cursing at 100 don't make him an axe murder. There is a reasons the autobahn is one of the safest roads in the world.

FYI, I would never wish that on anybody's family, BUT things tend to hit closer to home (no pun intended) and people's priorities change very quickly when their own family is involved.

The example I used was exactly, and only, that.

DNT H8

Established Member
it is extremely different than drivers in the USA. They are more courteous, know NOT to just cruise in the far left lane, they USE their mirrors as intended, and will move over for the faster traffic. You sure as hell won't see that happening much here. Most Americans drive with their heads so far up their own asses that they have to brush their teeth through their pissholes. This is also true in the USA during pursuits. While MOST pursuit crashes may not be able to be avoided, I can almost guarantee you that if people paid more attention to what is going on around them while driving, you would see a reduction is the number of crashes involving other vehicles.
Agree 1000% on all points above, looks like we can learn a thing or two from the Germans. Not only on driving habits but rules of the road!! A lot of our traffic laws are almost dangerous and in place for revenue. We need to find a happy medium between the Germans and the Russians.

As with the young punks swerving in and out of traffic at 100 giving us a bad name there are leos that abuse there ability and use 0 discretion when they own a 600hp cobra ;-)

Digital

Established Member
I watched a SUV cop try to chase a bike the other day, rollin that beast in and out of traffic after him. That was pretty hilarious. Dude looked back and made the "really?" motion. He down shifted and put EXITs on that cop lol.

Last edited:

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
Interesting thread. I'm both surprised and not surprised at the same time by most of this.

I pretty much assumed that anyone that flies 130+ past a cop they might not give chase, or if they do you're already so far behind that I don't see how it's logical or will end up catching them if their in a high performance car.

With that being said, I blew past a cop years ago doing pretty high triple digits maxing out a buddies new bmw with him for fun at 3am on a deserted road. Happened to be a cop there. I saw him flick his lights on instantly and pull out. I thought ok I am already going XXX speed, but this car (328i) is nothing special and I pulled over. I had been coasting still triple digits while thinking this through for a second and the cop was still a heck of a ways back, lights on and coming. I just pulled over and the cop gave me a lecture about speed, deer at said speed, common sense etc. He let me go with a verbal warning and I am glad I stopped.

I was scared that I was screwed, and gave my buddy my debit card and pin for bail money expecting to go to jail.

I don't do that anymore, save it for the track.

But seriously, if someone is going 140mph+ and blows past one of you guys, how long is it going to take you to get to that speed? 30 seconds? I don't see how you would catch up to a capable street car?

Last edited:

silver03svt

Established Member
Agree 1000% on all points above, looks like we can learn a thing or two from the Germans. Not only on driving habits but rules of the road!! A lot of our traffic laws are almost dangerous and in place for revenue. We need to find a happy medium between the Germans and the Russians.

As with the young punks swerving in and out of traffic at 100 giving us a bad name there are leos that abuse there ability and use 0 discretion when they own a 600hp cobra ;-)

You'd probably not be surprised to hear that quite a few of LEO academies use videos and techniques from European police to train. If you ever watch them, they will talk to themselves as they are driving, calling out what they are seeing as they are driving. It has been proven that this helps to avoid that tunnel vision that is common when driving fast. I know I catch myself doing that at times, too. I think it is a great tool to use. I just wish it would help with the driving of the turd I am chasing.

And I agree with you on the abuse. Thank goodness I don't have a 600 hp Cobra. :beer:

Sick03Vert

Banned
I watched a SUV cop try to chase a bike the other day, rollin that beast in and out of traffic after him. That was pretty hilarious. Dude looked back and made the "really?" motion. He down shifted and put EXITs on that cop lol.

You didn't finish the story:

Then there's a call to the local PD the next day that Johnny didn't come home last night and the family is worried. So the police start searching for him and find his crotch rocket busted to shit and what's left of Johnny's ass in small, incremental pieces scattered across 100 yards of brush. Seems Johnny didn't realize that, in the dark, the road he had turned off on and fled down was a dead end and the iron fence didn't give a shit.

But yeah....he was a badass. Now, they're out there blotting him up with Handy Wipes...but he was sooo cool.

Seen it happen.

Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member

Then there's a call to the local PD the next day that Johnny didn't come home last night and the family is worried. So the police start searching for him and find his crotch rocket busted to shit and what's left of Johnny's ass in small, incremental pieces scattered across 100 yards of brush. Seems Johnny didn't realize that, in the dark, the road he had turned off on and fled down was a dead end and the iron fence didn't give a shit.

But yeah....he was a badass. Now, they're out there blotting him up with Handy Wipes...but he was sooo cool.

Seen it happen.

and then they call me, the firefighter, the garbageman of society, to scrape up the little scumbag..lots of bleach decons everything.

Digital

Established Member

Seen it happen.

Let's be honest. 99% of the time the bike just gets away no problems. But if it gets you off to think otherwise go ahead.

silver03svt

Established Member
Let's be honest. 99% of the time the bike just gets away no problems. But if it gets you off to think otherwise go ahead.

Not around here. I would say, realistically, that 65-70% actually get caught. At least on the interstates. Can't say anything about what happens with our county units.

well at least the crotch rocket guys wear leather so their bodies stay intact.

NOT always true, especially at high speeds!

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Reading some of the stupidity here reminds me of when I disliked police. Then, I became an adult. I honestly have only ran into two officers that were douchebags. All other officers I have met, not necessarily through stops, have been really cool people.

I am alive today thanks to a perfect example of a good officer. It is amazing the ignorance people show towards those who sacrifice so much for the community. Some of the comments here in the LEO Section prove how shitty society has become. "My crimes are ok, go arrest some other law breaker!" What a bunch of retarded BS.

The same people bitching about getting stopped for speeding probably would be the first on the news bitching about where the LEOs weren't if their family was killed due to a retard just like them.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Reading some of the stupidity here reminds me of when I disliked police. Then, I became an adult. I honestly have only ran into two officers that were douchebags. All other officers I have met, not necessarily through stops, have been really cool people.

I am alive today thanks to a perfect example of a good officer. It is amazing the ignorance people show towards those who sacrifice so much for the community. Some of the comments here in the LEO Section prove how shitty society has become. "My crimes are ok, go arrest some other law breaker!" What a bunch of retarded BS.

The same people bitching about getting stopped for speeding probably would be the first on the news bitching about where the LEOs weren't if their family was killed due to a retard just like them.

Blaming a Cop because you received a ticket is like blaming the mail man for putting a late notice in your mail box.

The Mail Man didnt forget to mail in the payment. you did.

DevilDog81

Can't fix stupid!!!
Established Member
I love how the people that pay the least amount of taxes can afford to pay Police Officers salaries and buy their equipment!!! :bs:

Zemedici

Established Member

bingo, sir. I used to have the unwarranted 'eff the police' mindset, then i realized they were just people doing their jobs. Their rather dangerous jobs, and I have come to find out that if you treat the person with respect and as a human being, they'll give you a break 99% of the time, even when they shouldnt.

Some of these guys just need to grow up.

jbs$

Established Member
Even a triple digit ticket will cost less than $2 large. Running could cost you your car or possibly your life, stupid choice. Just stop, wait for the cop and give it your best shot and hire a good lawyer.

Dragu1a

Established Member
If I knew about a punk smart ass officer going THAT fast (endangering the public X2), driving MY cruiser (YES, MY tax dollars) .... I'd raise holy hell. I know many officers in various local PD's ... One a captain, he says (I've asked him "what if - speeding questions) his boys have 60 (or 90 seconds) to call in and get "permission" to pursue, and 98% of the time I tell them NOT to (as long as no other cars are involved, not involved in a crime, etc, .... Said "it's you VS the deer .... Knock yourself out"). We also discussed hot headed cops cops (young and old), are the first to get FIRED. Says it creates too much unwanted and negative public perception ... Nothing more of a headache then a young cop, or even a older one with a chip on his shoulder. My punk ass, change the world neighbor kid cop (long since been fired now), tried to nail me one night on a multitude of charges including fleeing. OK for him and his daddy (still lives at home) to do John Force style burnouts in front of their house. So, long story short, let's just say I MADE him follow me home one night ... And yes, ALL charges were dropped instantly, oh wait ... Bargained a 10 dollar "equipment violation". My point is: you younger, change the world cops .... Watch your ass and don't forget who pays your salary. Wanna get ballsy, got a real set between your legs ? ...... Go pull over a carload of "animals" on the south side of town ... Quit picking of the pretty boys (sober and clean) going a few MPH over.

i'm sure you're so powerful in your awesome NE Ohio community. boss status...probably bc you and the capt are bff's.

Ok, lets try this, your 16 year old kid is killed by someone being pushed by the cops. they have been in high speed pursuit for over 5 minutes. I'd want some ass.

lets try this. some 17yr old in daddy's corvette goes past a cop doing 110 in a 55...cop says "meh, i don't want to push him", said 17yr old then t-bones your boyfriend's PT cruiser that pulled out in front of him and killed him. you're crying at his funeral saying "why didn't the police stop him?? :cryying: they just watched him fly by :cryying:"

Last edited:

Tyler72

Established Member
I have a few friends that are either currently cops or used to be cops. I met them while they were cops, and they are all super nice guys and they enjoy cars like most of us. Also, Ive probably been stopped 8 times since I've been driving and only twice was the cop a prick. One out of those 2 times, I deserved it, I was young and being stupid. The second time I don't know what his problem was, bad day I guess. Point is, cops aren't all bad. MOST are great guys and women just trying to do their jobs. If I get stopped, all I ask is that you treat me in a professional manner. Don't be a smart ass or be disrespectful (unless I disrespected you or someone around you) to me. If I made a mistake, fine, I'll pay the consequence. But nobody is mistake free so cops should just keep that in mind (most do).

However, If I passed a cop doing more than 100 mph, I'll stop when you are behind me with the blue lights on. But, I'm gonna get off the interstate ASAP and try to get home or to a buddies house pretty quickly but in a safe manner. If you lose me, fine. I wont flee though, my life and the lives around me are not worth a ticket.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
People are so quick to insult someone who doesn't agree with them on the internet, got to love it....

Users who are viewing this thread