Attention MT-82 victoms!!!

jmatero

Established Member
I've owned and driven manual transmissions exclusively for 27 years.

I'm in 1st... Depress clutch fully.... Pull the lever down to 2nd... GRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND.... GRIIIIIIIIIND...THUNK.... BANG.....

That's my (and many others) experience shifting from gear to gear. What are we doing wrong exactly?

Last edited:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I disagree about there being nothing mechanically wrong with the drivetrain. There are close to 500 posts on this topic in the past 7 weeks at allfordmustangs.com with Ford reps monitoring and contacting owners (including me) regarding two known mechanical problems with the drivetrain. My car has been used by Ford to test a number of solutions... and is now being used to test what will most likely be an official fix. The last of the new-design parts arrived today and the car gets EVERYTHING between the crank and driveshaft swapped out with Job2/2012 parts. What do we know currently?

1. The majority of clutch issues on pre 09/2010-built Mustangs are a result of pressure-plate bolts backing out and not allowing full disengagement of the clutch. This eventually shears the flywheel dowels, destroys the clutch, and causes premature wear of the synchronizers. This is a known issue and the solution is replacement of the damaged components, installation of 6 redesigned pressure plate bolts, and a new reassembly procedure. There are few if any reports of clutch engagement issues on cars with the new-design pressure plate bolts.

2. Ford redesigned the synchronizers in the MT82. They began using the updated parts on August 24, 2010. There are few if any reports of gear grinding being reported by owners who's cars have these new synchros.

The pressure plate bolts, synchronizers, and Reverse (input shaft) on Job1 cars are proving to be "Mechanically unsound". There are HUNDREDS of posts on this... and the symptoms all start the same way:

Pressure Plate Bolt Issue: Early symptoms are a change in the engagement point of the clutch. Then, it becomes difficult to modulate the clutch. Smooth progressive launches in 1st become impossible. Eventually, gears begin to grind as shifts are taking place with the clutch partially engaged. In the final stages, the clutch fails completely.

Synchronizers: Early symptoms are grinding during cold shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. Eventually, grinding occurs on upshifts (to any, some, or all gears) irregardless of ambient temperature, or whether car is warmed up or not.

These are the facts. If you are not experiencing these issues, I'm very happy for you and you should feel comforted knowing that if they DO appear in the future, there will be a fix. I can see how... if you only read this particular thread... you would come to the conclusion "there was no issue". I would suggest you read all 600 posts on THIS thread to gain a better perspective of the major clutch and transmission issues so many of us a dealing with:

Official 2011 Mustang Manual Transmission Rough Shifting Thread - Ford Mustang Forums

Would you mind PMing me your contact info, and what dealer you're working with on this stuff? I'd like to provide it when I go in for service, so they see that it's a constant issue.

I think I'm starting to have clutch issues, as well.. I noticed today in traffic, that the clutch is starting to feel funny, and engage a little different. I have to push the clutch further in to get a smooth shift. Also, I get a strange popping noise and feedback through the clutch pedal when I push it to the floor/release.

Travis

POSFTW

Established Member
As the O.P. I figure I would throw some more gas on the fire. Amsoil Synchromesh has really helped my trans. The new fluid warms up really quickly and the trans shifts better sooner. I am still planning on switching to redline MTL mid spring. I have not been able to drive much this month due to the weather, maybe 200 miles. The trans whines way more with the synchromesh but I feel it shifts better.

I have recently tested and reviewed the Barton Industries shifter, I am patiently awaiting a Steeda shifter.

I am at the point with this car where I just don't care anymore, If it will not shift how I like or more importantly how it once did, I am out.

Rice1680

Established Member
The online service manual recommends the following:

GT500 (TR6060)--Mercon V p/n xt-5-qm (atf)

Mustang and Mustang GT (MT-82) p/n xt-m5-qs (75w90 synthetic)

It makes sense (to me) that a thicker fluid would give more problems in cold weather.

GT500 tr 6060 have same problem when cold. Notchy 1-2 to 2-3 when tranny is cold. Can feel slight gear roll when shifting till tranny warms up. I'm not sure if this is the problem. Our TR6060 have stickers that say use Dexron 3. Owners manual and Ford say use Mecron V. Tremec recommends running a Dexron 3 or mecron spec fluid for the TR6060. After doing research Corvettes and Camaro's TR6060 had problems with TR6060 running new spec Dexron Vl. Chevy actually issued TSB and started running Manual transmission and Transfer Case Fluid Dexron 3 without the name. As my GT500 is highly modied I'm not worried about warranty. When it warms and and snow melts I will switch the fluid. Mecron V won't hurt trans but Dex 3 worked best. So it comes down to who is right the people who actually designed and built tranny or Ford. As far as I know Ford no longer makes the old Dex 3(GM) or Mecron ATF(Ford) spec trans fluid. I think both stopped in 2006. Tremec says TR6060's actually ship with Dex 3 in them to ford.

Last edited:

jmatero

Established Member
They replaced everything between the crank and drive shaft last week. The new tranny is notchy compared to the old and it has popped out of gear a couple of times. I'm going to give it some break-in before forming an opinion but it isn't grinding like it did before.

99svtkjeld

Established Member
knock on wood.... luckily since buying my 5.0 back in Sep 2010 I have yet to experience any transmission or clutch problems and I'm pushing 6k miles.

RedlineHP

Established Member
GT500 tr 6060 have same problem when cold. Notchy 1-2 to 2-3 when tranny is cold. Can feel slight gear roll when shifting till tranny warms up. I'm not sure if this is the problem. Our TR6060 have stickers that say use Dexron 3. Owners manual and Ford say use Mecron V. Tremec recommends running a Dexron 3 or mecron spec fluid for the TR6060. After doing research Corvettes and Camaro's TR6060 had problems with TR6060 running new spec Dexron Vl. Chevy actually issued TSB and started running Manual transmission and Transfer Case Fluid Dexron 3 without the name. As my GT500 is highly modied I'm not worried about warranty. When it warms and and snow melts I will switch the fluid. Mecron V won't hurt trans but Dex 3 worked best. So it comes down to who is right the people who actually designed and built tranny or Ford. As far as I know Ford no longer makes the old Dex 3(GM) or Mecron ATF(Ford) spec trans fluid. I think both stopped in 2006. Tremec says TR6060's actually ship with Dex 3 in them to ford.

+1, the TR6060 doesn't like to be cold either. They came from Tremec with dex 3 in them. I had mine gone through under a TSB for the Clutch on the GT500.
Ford replaced the fluid with mercon V and right away you could tell a notchier difference. I replaced it with Castrol domestic multi vehical ATF, it is a Dex3 fluid, just can't call it that. Much improved feel to the shifting. Still have to let the trans warm up, but much better.
I talked to Tremec tech and he recommended GM synchromesh as the best fill, specificly Pennzoil synchromesh. I'll be trying that soon.

jmatero

Established Member
One thing I can say is that I never trashed the car... I've actually babied this thing because it's been a mess since 500 miles. So abuse doesn't factor in. In fact, my buddy picked the IDENTICAL car up a week before me, has 2x the miles, and does burnouts from the lot daily and his tranny and clutch are pristine. So odd.

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
After reading all this my head hurts. So do i replace whats in there with motorcraft XT-M5-QS? or Royal Purple Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid

Or leave it be?

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Boy, lots of folks with some misguided trust in Ford that they will simply "handle" any issue out there. It's a business -- they'll fix this issue if it makes economic sense to do it, i.e. if the bad publicity and lawsuits outweigh the cost of finding and instituting the fix.

Folks have been complaining about the clutch and transmission issues for months now. Either Ford's engineers cannot figure out how to fix it, or Ford has elected to not fix it. I will concede there may be some who imagine problems after reading threads, but not everyone's that sheepish.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
or the amsoil mtg equivalent is cheaper too..

Amsoil currently doesn't recommend ANY of their fluids for the MT82. Since they don't formulate a direct replacement, their legal department doesn't allow them to make a recommendation in public view. Now, sending an email to their tech team is a much different story. Those guys know what's up, and will suggest a lubricant they manufacture.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
One thing I can say is that I never trashed the car... I've actually babied this thing because it's been a mess since 500 miles. So abuse doesn't factor in. In fact, my buddy picked the IDENTICAL car up a week before me, has 2x the miles, and does burnouts from the lot daily and his tranny and clutch are pristine. So odd.

your on clubrsx also right?

POSFTW

Established Member
UPDATE: Synchromesh rocks in this tranny, go Amsoil. Ditched the P.O.S. Barton shifter (yes it is pretty and well built, WRONG GEOMETRY!!!) running the stocker until I feel like I really have a good feel for this tranny, again it is a totally different tranny now. I spoke to Dave at Barton, nice guy, nice product, terrible theory. Shifter is so wrong for these trannies, he is going to be eating alot of these things.

Disclaimer: I am yet to be wrong about these shitboxes, its not gospel just sound theory, testing and proof. Go Synchromesh, try again Barton.

RectalRampage

Established Member
UPDATE: Synchromesh rocks in this tranny, go Amsoil. Ditched the P.O.S. Barton shifter (yes it is pretty and well built, WRONG GEOMETRY!!!) running the stocker until I feel like I really have a good feel for this tranny, again it is a totally different tranny now. I spoke to Dave at Barton, nice guy, nice product, terrible theory. Shifter is so wrong for these trannies, he is going to be eating alot of these things.

Disclaimer: I am yet to be wrong about these shitboxes, its not gospel just sound theory, testing and proof. Go Synchromesh, try again Barton.

What amsoil are you using? Just their MT Synchro?

Why such the hard words against the Barton shifter? They seem to have a lot of happy customers.

Last edited:

Whocares05050

Established Member
Amsoil currently doesn't recommend ANY of their fluids for the MT82. Since they don't formulate a direct replacement, their legal department doesn't allow them to make a recommendation in public view. Now, sending an email to their tech team is a much different story. Those guys know what's up, and will suggest a lubricant they manufacture.

dont know what the hell you said, but somehow looked at the boobies, and when i looked up 45 minutes had gone by. didnt realise times flys when boobies are bouncing. :dancenana:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
So, I just got my car back from the shop.. It's been there a month, and got a full rebuild. New synchros, bearings, and input/main/counter shafts. It had a horrible whine, which was attributed to a worn bearing/race and one of the synchros had ate into the side of one of the gears.

Anyway..

The fluid that was in the trans originally was XT-11-QDC. We compared it to a new bottle on the shelf, and it was identical in color and consistency.

Ford supplied XT-M5-QS for this transmission job. I visually checked the bottles myself.

The new fluid makes this transmission shift COMPLETELY different than before. It has not made a single grind or notchy shift since I got it back. I can literally shift it with 1 finger. It might be a LITTLE bit harder to go in gear when cold, but, nothing like it was before.. and certainly nothing out of the ordinary. Honestly, I'm amazed at the difference, and as long as this thing holds up, I think I'm going keep it instead of getting an auto.

Travis

RectalRampage

Established Member
Someone needs to send some samples out for identification analysis, judging what used oil is in the trans based on what it looks/smells/feels like isn't exactly concrete science.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread