Attn: Early built Cobra owners (pre 11/02)

v8pwr

Established Member
Have you had problem with ticking head? Lot of people say pre 11/02 cobras had cooling issue with driver side head, but my 8/02 built cobra with 15Kmiles have had no tick...yet (knock on wood)

Just want to know how other early built cobras are doing.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The "tick" issue was officially tagged to pre-12/02 Cobras, but it is a known fact that it affected later '03s and even some 04s. Seems that most that were affected saw it with relatively low miles on the car. If yours doesn't have it by now you should be okay. If it ever does, it hasn't been shown that the issue affects driveability, but you can, of course, just have the latest heads installed. About $1,500. for the set plus installation.

I take it that you have another daily driver? 15K miles on an earlier run '03 is VERY low. And only 14 posts since December, 2004? Where the heck have you been? :lol1:

2003 Silver

Banned
;-)
CobraBob said:
The "tick" issue was officially tagged to pre-12/02 Cobras, but it is a known fact that it affected later '03s and even some 04s. Seems that most that were affected saw it with relatively low miles on the car. If yours doesn't have it by now you should be okay. If it ever does, it hasn't been shown that the issue affects driveability, but you can, of course, just have the latest heads installed. About $1,500. for the set plus installation.

I take it that you have another daily driver? 15K miles on an earlier run '03 is VERY low. And only 14 posts since December, 2004? Where the heck have you been? :lol1:

How does 5,200 miles sound on a early run '03..... ;-)

v8pwr said:
Have you had problem with ticking head? Lot of people say pre 11/02 cobras had cooling issue with driver side head, but my 8/02 built cobra with 15Kmiles have had no tick...yet (knock on wood)

Just want to know how other early built cobras are doing.

No ticking head problem on my 01 Cobra born March 01, but I have a ringing cam chain problem that is apparently normal for our cars. Only hear this ringing (sounds like coins being slapped togther) when the car is idling.

jcobra

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
No ticking head problem on my 01 Cobra born March 01, but I have a ringing cam chain problem that is apparently normal for our cars. Only hear this ringing (sounds like coins being slapped togther) when the car is idling.

As far as I know it only applies to the 03-04's.

03 VENOM

Established Member
1268Melberger said:
;-)

How does 5,200 miles sound on a early run '03..... ;-)

LOL 4300 miles on August '02 build date.......no problems here *knock on wood* :thumbsup:

Scotts 03 COBRA

Established Member
My car was Built 8/02 with 8k miles and no obvious tick----I was able to get both heads replaced back in April by Ford( Jan. 05 heads) I put 1k on my car since the install, no problems and heads seem quieter -----------Scott

03 VENOM

Established Member
Scotts 03 COBRA said:
My car was Built 8/02 with 8k miles and no obvious tick----I was able to get both heads replaced back in April by Ford( Jan. 05 heads) I put 1k on my car since the install, no problems and heads seem quieter -----------Scott

Did the dealership drop your engine to install the new heads???

88sc_gt

Cobra #4178
Established Member
is there a sound clip posted anywhere of the tick? i saw one soundclip on streetfire of a guy who claimed to have the tick, it sounded like someone slapping a ratchet against his fenders. i dont imagine its that bad in all cases?

just curious.

69cobrajet

333 Half Evil
Established Member
tick tick tick 1st motor.2nd motor ticking for now.Next motor when needed VT stroker and reworked heads. :pop:

v8pwr

Established Member
CobraBob said:

I hope Iwon't develop tick...I hear some people develop tick wel after 20K miles so...Good thing I still have warranty for few more months.
Hehehe...yes, I do have another daily driver. However, I just bought this car about 3months ago. I've been searching 03-04Cobra since 2004 and I finally found the right one after over a year of searching. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread