Votes: 56 24.9%
  • Manual

Votes: 169 75.1%

• Total voters

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
jackers said:
So no comments after reading those posts or is everyone too busy searching for people to swap their transmissions?

Actually, I haven't been in here for a while. Like I said, different strokes for different folks.

For us (like stated in the first link you provided), shifting through the gears is part of the fun in driving. I want to down shift and take off whenever I feel like it. I want to choose what gear to be in, when I want. Not have it done for me. BTW - My wife's mach is her DD.

Again, if everyone was the same, life would be boring.

03SonicBlueL

Established Member
jackers said:
I would go auto all the way!

I have a 2003 cobra that I swapped a solid axle in and now am getting my automatic built by Hermann. Dont think that this auto is like the one someone above made reference to their mini-van. This thing has a completely manual valve body (meaning I have to shift every gear) a trans brake so I can launch from a stop with boost, a 4000 rpm stall (meaning I dont lose RPM's during the shifts like the 5 or 6 speeds), and I wont go through clutches when I make upwards over 600 horsepower.

This is a 4R70W (same transmission that you mach guys have, well until the late run 04's, you guys have 4R75W's). I spent alot of money on this transmission. You guys have the option to have that from the factory and still go with a manual, you are nuts.

Now dont come and bash me about how my car is only track driven. It is my daily driver. It is my only car, and I regularly take trips from Maryland to North Carolina (5+ hours) and sit in alot of traffic here in Southern Maryland.

Basically, a properly setup auto will DESTROY a manual car. It allows you to truely utilize the power your car makes. So dont be so quick to bad mouth them until you actually ride in a properly done up one.

I am buying an 04 Comp Orange Mach 1 next week. It has 4:10 gears, manual valve body, transbrake, and a 4000 PI stall converter. Other than those mods to the transmission, it is pretty much stock. It has run a best of 12:55. My question is....Is the stall converter hard on an auto transmission? I had a buddy tell me that they are and that I would have problems with it in the future.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
I am running a 4000 rpm stall also. As long as you have some upgrades to your transmission cooler (inline fluid cooler like a B&M) you will be fine.

Got Boost?

Established Member
i would def go with manual makes a car feel 2x as mean and dumping the clutch is fun if you ask me, not to mention machs with manuals have better cranks in em than machs with autos

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
2x's faster, are you kidding me? Take a ride in my car and then take a ride in someone else with the same mods I have, minus the transmission, then tell me which one feels faster.

Got Boost?

Established Member
never said 2x as fast, i said too times as mean meaning overall badass, might not be faster but can do 10x better burnout than an auto cuz you can dump the clutch, plus i dont feel like i am actually "driving" unless im ripping gears with my right hand

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Got Boost? said:
never said 2x as fast, i said too times as mean meaning overall badass, might not be faster but can do 10x better burnout than an auto cuz you can dump the clutch, plus i dont feel like i am actually "driving" unless im ripping gears with my right hand

Ever power brake?

jackers said:
2x's faster, are you kidding me? Take a ride in my car and then take a ride in someone else with the same mods I have, minus the transmission, then tell me which one feels faster.

That is quite bold. How many cars have the EXACT SAME setup as you? Are you saying that yours is VERY common?

Auto's are for consistency. Manny's for the fun factor.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
A lot of cars have the same mods.

Ported Blower
2.8 upper
4# lower
Midpipe and Catback
CAI
Solid Axle

Very common mods for these cars

Autos are not just for consistancy. They are designed to get the power to the ground in a lot more efficient way.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Hey guys, first time to the track since the auto install.

Only made two launches (didn't even run out 1/8th)

1.67 60 foot first time launching the car.

1.56 60 foot. Started to build boost (about 6#s) at about a 4000 RPM launch.

Last edited:

Grenade

Banned
Sticks are way more fun, If you are anywhere near stock. If you put enough hp in a car, then an auto is ok. More consistant than a stick at the race track. Not many true sports cars with auto's. But I'm a stick guy.

New Mach

Established Member
I had a 1984 5.0 for 20 years and it was a manual, I got so sick of changing gears it wasn't even funny. When I had a chance to trade for a 2004 Mach 1 Auto, I jumped on it.

In the future, I will get a manual again or even better an auto with tiptronic. I'm enjoying my auto, but I do at times miss the 5 speed.

Tiptronic is the best of both worlds IMO.

Michael

Last edited:

glittle75

Established Member
holy zombie, mummy post. 6 years old. this has to be some sort of record. how did you find this?
Either way, I have a 3650 and am growing more and more tired of it every track visit. Wish i had an auto, or could find someone to trade.
And fyi, tiptronic is a POS system. You will spend more time in a repair shop paying to have t fixed than you will tipping gears. Good in theory, bad in practice, mechanically speaking.

New Mach

Established Member
That's funny. I didn't realize I erected this thread from the dead, I joined many, many years ago, 2005 to exact, and I had a list of threads that I was subscribed to which I was checking out back in the day and the list was still accessible, I didn't realize it was a Zombie thread.

Sorry about that,

Explosive

Established Member
Auto, I like to go to the track. With a tune it's just as fun a a manual. My fox with a built small block is a 5 speed and I will be auto swapping it.

clc44

Established Member
I have a Stick and love it while driving, but hate it while racing sometimes. I fear breaking things to easy. My next car will be a stall and geared auto. Then I'll make sure digs only ;)

Users who are viewing this thread