Automatic....Would you?

MedVader

Established Member
From this thread alone, it sounds like an auto SVT would sell well.

I'd take the auto over the stick for performance reasons alone.

TheGovernment

Established Member
I'd take an auto over a stick any day. Sooo much faster. Less crap to deal with too. As long as they build them right. Heck, I've got a 2013 Sierra 6.2L running a Eaton 2.3, cam, etc, 660 RWHP on the stock trans, 2800 stall, it's awesome! My second gear grinds in my 08 GT500 and it's got 16K on it lol

steeltoe

Established Member
Would I buy a conventional auto over a manual? No
Would I buy a DCT over a conventional manual? Yes

I'm about 99% positive that Ford will offer an auto in whatever the S550 Halo car is called. A 6R140 modified for a gas engine would have easily held the power of the 5.8SC motor after all thats what Ford did for the 2nd gen L.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
Yes, I would definitely buy an automatic. I have had 9 manual Mustangs, and loved them, but an automatic available on the top performance model would be for me now.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Posted this in another thread also but since we are discussing automatic transmissions here, figured this would be good news to some future GT350 owners. Not sure if I believe it will happen but I would buy a GT350 Auto in a heartbeat if this is true.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2016-ford-shelby-gt350-mustang-feature-automatic-transmission

Meh, I watched that video and the others a bunch of times trying to figure out if it was an auto or manual. First, the cameras are in terrible positions because the car shifts maybe once or twice in that entire video. The other vid with both cars shows a few shifts and they are definitely from a manual.

All I'll say is that Ford either have a newly developed twin clutch trans or a version of the ZF 8-speed. Nothing less will suffice. Can't believe they didn't put the ZF 8-speed in the GT and Ecoboost...

Last edited:

lchauvin88

Established Member
I wouldn't. The halo car being a GT350 with road racing in mind, the manual is the better choice. Seeing how we will never see a DCT automated manual. My vote is still for manual trans. It's what makes road racing and auto X fun. That's why my car is manual.

As said the older guys are buying the gt500s. Well they can afford the car, they can afford to auto swap should that be what they choose.

Deranged2013

Established Member
Everyone has a preference but some folks have disabilities or they just can't shift well. Ford should give the consumers an option. I'm healthy now but I'm sure in 20 years or so, an automatic would be the better option.

lchauvin88

Established Member
I think an auto is needed to keep up with the auto hellcats and the auto z06s that are coming out.

Howso? The auto hell cat shifts in 250ms. The driver for Billet Pro Shop Tremec 6060 a gt500 full weight car that's in the 8s, shifts that car in 75ms. There's a video to prove it. So with enough practice, you will out shift the auto hellcat.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Howso? The auto hell cat shifts in 250ms. The driver for Billet Pro Shop Tremec 6060 a gt500 full weight car that's in the 8s, shifts that car in 75ms. There's a video to prove it. So with enough practice, you will out shift the auto hellcat.

That doesn't make it easier to drive fast or launch hard, especially for the average Joe just because one shop car did it?

Last edited:

lchauvin88

Established Member
That doesn't make it easier to drive fast or launch hared, especially for the average Joe just because one shop car did it?

True, but how many Average Joe's are going to be driving a 700 hp car? Or drag racing them at a track. Fact is if you can't handle a high powered car, you shouldn't be trying to launch it hard or shift it fast.

All I was point out, is that with practice you can out shift the hellcat auto. No one's going to drag race a 700 hp car without a sticky tire. A slick out back will make it easy to launch. Now handling it from there is up to the driver.

91z28350

Established Member
Yes, I would prefer an auto, if/when the GT500 is released. for the GT350, if it's mission is to be the road racer, I would think the 6 speed would be fine.

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Hellcat shifts are 160ms, not 250.

True, but how many Average Joe's are going to be driving a 700 hp car? Or drag racing them at a track. Fact is if you can't handle a high powered car, you shouldn't be trying to launch it hard or shift it fast.

Anyone with $60k will be driving a 700hp car. 1200 people at least. Hell, how many 700hp cars are on this site alone??

And I don't believe the 75ms manual trans shift, sorry. That's faster than a DCT M3.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Yes I would choose a hi-po auto if offered. As long as my car was not a daily driver. Week end street/strip warrior, yes!

<yes, I know. Contradicting myself here...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread