Automatic....Would you?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Make the auto an option, why not?

If the have the dough for it, sure.

I think they could probably throw the ZF 8 speed in this car and call it a day, but if they want a true 'race-ready' car to beat the Z06 or whatever, it should have a DCT. And developing that would cost mad coin.

Last edited:

steeltoe

Established Member
If the have the dough for it, sure.

I think they could probably throw the ZF 8 speed in this car and call it a day, but if they want a true 'race-ready' car to beat the Z06 or whatever, it should have a DCT. And developing that would cost mad coin.

I think not having a DCT is going to negatively affect the reviews for the C7Z, CTS-V, and ATS-V. It always seems to come up when its a DCT vs a flappy paddle conventional auto.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Zero interest in a 2 pedal car. I don't care if an auto, dct, what ever, is faster. I enjoy shifting, heel toe, all of it.

Writing is on the wall manuals may eventually go away, but for now I'll buy manuals when given the choice. Raptor would have been if a choice.

TFStang

Established Member
Zero interest in a 2 pedal car. I don't care if an auto, dct, what ever, is faster. I enjoy shifting, heel toe, all of it.

Writing is on the wall manuals may eventually go away, but for now I'll buy manuals when given the choice. Raptor would have been if a choice.

Manual Raptor...now we're talking!

reason4treason

Established Member
I think it is insane that Ford sticks to their "manual trans only" philosophies.

I loved how they offered the 4R70/75W in the Mach1's back in 03-04.....but have always thought it was silly to not offer an Auto in the SVT models.

That said, Ford never really had an auto offering as "nice" as their current.....so there is a very solid chance SVT models will get autos in the future.....ESPECIALLY with GM throwing the auto in everything these days. If Ford wants to claim the GT500 as the best Mustang made, they should offer the best transmission to go along with it, which is currently the 6R.

I would never buy anything with an auto. IMO I feel a lot more connected to the experience when rowing gears.

At the same time, I'm very sure an auto option would sell very well in all Mustangs including the top dog, whatever that eventually turns out to be. I've seen polls on various forums and it's always surprised me how many people prefer auto. that having been said, from what I've seen of Ford I'd guess their decisions about what to produce rarely if ever depend on any poll results. much more likely to be the accounting department calling the shots. and the manual seems to be becoming the endangered species.

Mustangtcs

Established Member
I have had a lot of mustangs. 3 years ago I sold my manual 10 second fox and my manual GT/CS and I bought an auto GT. All because of a bad knee injury. I can still drive a manual but it causes a lot of pain. I couldn't take the car out for the day and walk around with my fiancé. And I am only 29. I would love a GT500 but did not buy one due to it not having an auto. I think they should come out with an auto with paddle shifters that is meant to be used. It would have to shift just as fast as you hit the paddle with no lag. So for me I would buy one.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
With new video surfacing of Dodge's 707 HP Fat Cat running a 10.8 1/4 Mile at over 126 mph the questions rises...Should Ford give an Automatic option for the 2016 SVT Mustang? No doubt that the automatic has a huge advantage at the drag strip and partial reason for the Fat Cat's impressive ET's. If a 2013-2014 GT500 had a nice Auto offering like the 6R80 or something able to withstand 662 HP it would be a 10 sec car out of the box as well, maybe faster than Fat Cat...Food for thought.

Would you go Auto? What Auto should Ford give us? and finally who wants to see what the Fat Cat runs with a manual transmission first before it's proclaimed new King of the strip?

JimIII

The questions is not if, its if they can do it correctly. I'm truly wondering if Dodge is only making a few hundred of these Hellcats for more then one reason. 1 to create a major muscle car desire for the masses (me included). 2 possibly because its not easy to create a reliable auto trans that can hold 700 plus hp/tq let alone in a 8 spd, hence they are hoping production numbers will be so rare that most people will be keeping very low mileage on them. IMO ford really needs to change things up a bit with the next svt Cobra. Hope its a cobra and they get rid of the Shelby name, no disrespect to Carrol but he has passed so lets move on and move forward. But that's another story.

Last edited:

91z28350

Established Member
Not sure exactly what Carroll Shelby has to do with whether an automatic is offered in the next SVT boulevard bruiser (if they offer one), especially since quite a few of the 67-70 GT500s had a c6. I for one like it, but if it comes out as a SVT Cobra I am fine with that as well.

With regards to the Hellcat, to the best of my knowledge from being on the Challenger forums, Dodge will gladly make as many Hellcats as people will buy. No different than Ford did with the GT500. The price of admission will dictate how many see the street.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Just give us a choice. I bet sales would double. Lot of folks out there that won't buy because manual is not an option. I'm building a car that Ford never made. They could have made it. All the parts were on the shelf but corps can't do stuff just for fun. I am literally Jonesing for a Cobra but has to be an automatic and I'll have to take flak from people because "it's not a real Cobra" haha. So I'm leaving off all the Cobra bling and It cost me more than just buying a real Cobra with half the resale value.

this. plus women. a lot more women would buy a shelby mustang (gt500 etc) if it came in auto. look at how many vettes are sold in auto, and porsches. i bet a lot of ctsv are as well. i bet the number of Z06s sold will increase by quite a bit now that the auto and vert will be offered. sure, many will be driven by posers (like many porsche owners) but the more they produce the better pricing will be on new and used cars/parts.

if i had the choice, i would go auto. i would drive my car a lot more. i hate getting stuck in any kind of traffic in my gt500. my pullied hdf150 with auto is much more tolerable to DD. even though its a basic 4 speed auto.

an 8 speed auto with real paddle shifters in a gt500 would be awesome.

i never hear anyone complain that amg cars arent available in manual. BUT, i think ford should offer both. it would suck balls if fans of manual trans were forced to buy an auto car, like the SRT line up before. and i see waay more SRT chargers, challengers and Jeeps than i do GT500s.

avro206

Established Member
so the autos faster then the 1/4 mile. Big deal. I'ts not as involving to drive and takes less skill. I'll keep my manual.

I don't mind it as an option.....on certain models....like no Boss 302 autos or Camaro Z/28s

Last edited:

JD09GT500

Established Member
QUOTE=Mustangtcs;14473584]I have had a lot of mustangs. 3 years ago I sold my manual 10 second fox and my manual GT/CS and I bought an auto GT. All because of a bad knee injury. I can still drive a manual but it causes a lot of pain. I couldn't take the car out for the day and walk around with my fiancé. And I am only 29. I would love a GT500 but did not buy one due to it not having an auto. I think they should come out with an auto with paddle shifters that is meant to be used. It would have to shift just as fast as you hit the paddle with no lag. So for me I would buy one.[/QUOTE]

I am in the same situation. I just had my third knee surgery a couple of months ago. I'm probably facing knee replacement in 8-10 years. I will still be in my late 40's. So I'm still a young pup with shitty knees. That would be my left knee to boot. So as much as I hated to I had to sell my 04 Cobra and 09 Shelby. That's why I recently bought a 14 GT auto. I'm very happy with it.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
A friend of mine is about as big of a car and racing fanatic as you can get. He follows F1, Indy, NASCAR, you name it. Dude has always had manual cars and drivers cars like the S2000, 335i, 135i, etc. He just recently traded in the 1 series and got an automatic 335i and loves it. Says it was a great decision because the ZF 8 speed is just that good. Throttle blips in sport mode and everything. There is a reason EVERYONE is putting the ZF in their vehicles. Hell, even the SRT Grand Cherokee has it with paddle shifters, basically the same trans as the new Z06 in an SUV.

Include it as an option for sure and watch sales numbers skyrocket. M3 did it and had tons of haters for being an 'unpure M car', but damn if they don't sell a lot of DCT cars. And that is one badass trans.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Traditional manual trans is going away or is dwindling. Ford needs to get with the times.

I agree they need to offer it and their 6R80 should handle it but they have to keep a manual also, only way I'd buy one but fully agree they should offer auto.
-J

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Absolutely would consider it. If its anything like the transmission in the Lexus IS-F it would a damn rocketship.

Users who are viewing this thread