Automobile's 3 part ZL1 vs GT500 review

germeezy1

Established Member
The articles were biased but they were not biased against Ford or the Mustang only against the car they felt handled worse subjectively. I have already said that, and I find it hilarious that I already said I would not even drive the Camaro.
They picked the Focus over the Cruze simply because of its handling feel even though the Cruze was a better economy car.

These are not muscle cars, and they all handle amazingly well which is why the GT500 has gotten such great reviews. No one writes articles based on random people on a forum that do not appreciate handling. They judge cars subjectively based on their own preferences, and in these two tests the preferences were handling over straight line performance.

The bottom line is that many of the GT500's are currently sold with the SVT Performance Package which Ford offers for handling. If you only care about straight line performance than the GT500 is the wrong car for you.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The articles were biased but they were not biased against Ford or the Mustang only against the car they felt handled worse subjectively. I have already said that, and I find it hilarious that I already said I would not even drive the Camaro.

They have judged not by feel but by gm advertisements. GM says it handles so it must handle. Preconcieved notion is not how you inform readers!

This is all we are stating. As for GT500 handling it is better than most people believe, dare I say better than the zl1?:eek:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Things I have learned from this thread:

1. You should call anyone who has a different opinion from you a troll or fan boy, even if they state their opinion respectfully. Be sure and do a careful post count and join date assessment.

2. 32 pages of complaining about the bias of a magazine article is not actually whining.

3. If you thought that bench racing and arguing inanely were strictly winter hobbies, check your calender.

4. Any overstatement can be rationalized by blaming Al Oppenheimer and computer simulations.

Things I knew before the this article was written or this thread was created:

1. The GT500 is the most awesome muscle car of all time.

2. The zl1's MRC offsets it's weight and lesser power on a road course.

3. An IRS car with MRC will have a nice compliant ride on the street.

4. The Mustang vs. Camaro wars are now officially in full schwing.

jonesd

Established Member
They picked the Focus over the Cruze simply because of its handling feel even though the Cruze was a better economy car.

These are not muscle cars, and they all handle amazingly well which is why the GT500 has gotten such great reviews. No one writes articles based on random people on a forum that do not appreciate handling. They judge cars subjectively based on their own preferences, and in these two tests the preferences were handling over straight line performance.

The bottom line is that many of the GT500's are currently sold with the SVT Performance Package which Ford offers for handling. If you only care about straight line performance than the GT500 is the wrong car for you.

So who is the gt500 the right car for? Obviously the zl1 has the handling covered(according to magazine reviews), and the gt500 is wrong for a straight line(according to you). So i guess taking what you said and applying some logic to it... the new gt500 is a failure then?

I mean besides straight line and handling, i dont really see what else would be important on a "fun car"

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
So who is the gt500 the right car for? Obviously the zl1 has the handling covered(according to magazine reviews), and the gt500 is wrong for a straight line(according to you). So i guess taking what you said and applying some logic to it... the new gt500 is a failure then?

I mean besides straight line and handling, i dont really see what else would be important on a "fun car"

parking lot battles.....:lol1:

I refuse to engage that dude....so pathetic

All-Or-Nothing

Established Member

Bullshit.....the article was clearly biased towards the ZL1, and how can choosing a GT500 for straight line performance be wrong?

Give it up already.

mustang loco

Established Member
Things I have learned from this thread:

1. You should call anyone who has a different opinion from you a troll or fan boy, even if they state their opinion respectfully.

4. The Mustang vs. Camaro wars are now officially in full schwing.

1. ..yeah,weird/odd isn't it..jmho

4. More than never,actually can't wait to see the next big battle as well..

CJet vs COPO...this will be also very interesting!

Bob Cosby

Established Member
...The bottom line is that many of the GT500's are currently sold with the SVT Performance Package which Ford offers for handling. If you only care about straight line performance than the GT500 is the wrong car for you.

Wait a sec...if this is the case, what new car would I buy if I only care about straight line performance?

tbi0904

Established Member

Burnouts and donuts in the parking lot.

LostPony

Established Member
I can't believe I read the whole thing! I did only because I thought I should before adding my perspective.

I instruct for a living, and have participated in HPDE's for 14 years. Over the last few years, about '08 and on, I can only recall seeing 3 gen 5 Camaros at the track. Over the same period I have seen about a handful of new Challengers, and one of those being an SRT8. I simply can not count the number of '05 and up Mustangs I have seen there. The new 5.0 is very popular, with or without the "Track Pack" option, and the GT500 is there in DROVES!

Based on my observations, it would seem that GM missed the mark by focusing so much on road course performance in the Camaro. That is not to say I am not impressed at what they got out of it in that respect. However, I and many others who regularly track our cars know that numbers reported in a magazine for handling mean little when it comes to a road course and an HPDE. At our last event I witnessed a street Miata pass a Z06 Vette on a course that favors high HP cars. I highly doubt Mr Z06 was comforted knowing he had the superior car.

GM fans looking for a track toy will buy a Vette, Camaro fans looking for the ultimate Camaro will buy a ZL1, they are not the same demographic. When I looked for a car I could track, the GT500 was not considered, but the Boss and a used Z06 was. I settled on the Boss because I prefer the Mustang. I'm confident that my skill level will negate any advantage the ZL1 may have on nearly any road course with the average buyer of said vehicle. Heck, the last HPDE I personally did I passed a Lamborghini Superleggerra and a Aston Martin Vantage S only to be passed a lap later by a pro in a Lotus Elise! I chuckled to myself and thought, "that's road racing for ya!"

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I can't believe I read the whole thing! I did only because I thought I should before adding my perspective.

I instruct for a living, and have participated in HPDE's for 14 years. Over the last few years, about '08 and on, I can only recall seeing 3 gen 5 Camaros at the track. Over the same period I have seen about a handful of new Challengers, and one of those being an SRT8. I simply can not count the number of '05 and up Mustangs I have seen there. The new 5.0 is very popular, with or without the "Track Pack" option, and the GT500 is there in DROVES!

Based on my observations, it would seem that GM missed the mark by focusing so much on road course performance in the Camaro. That is not to say I am not impressed at what they got out of it in that respect. However, I and many others who regularly track our cars know that numbers reported in a magazine for handling mean little when it comes to a road course and an HPDE. At our last event I witnessed a street Miata pass a Z06 Vette on a course that favors high HP cars. I highly doubt Mr Z06 was comforted knowing he had the superior car.

GM fans looking for a track toy will buy a Vette, Camaro fans looking for the ultimate Camaro will buy a ZL1, they are not the same demographic. When I looked for a car I could track, the GT500 was not considered, but the Boss and a used Z06 was. I settled on the Boss because I prefer the Mustang. I'm confident that my skill level will negate any advantage the ZL1 may have on nearly any road course with the average buyer of said vehicle. Heck, the last HPDE I personally did I passed a Lamborghini Superleggerra and a Aston Martin Vantage S only to be passed a lap later by a pro in a Lotus Elise! I chuckled to myself and thought, "that's road racing for ya!"

thanks for your input....:beer:

germeezy1

Established Member
If you buy a ZL1 because the only thing important to you is road racing, than you are in the same boat as someone who bought a GT500 because all they care about is drag racing. A Miata or C5 Z06 will serve you better on a road course, and a Fox body will serve you better on the drag strip...IF that is all you care about. I would pick the GT500 because I like the GT500, and I like cars that are good at multiple things.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Where can I go out and buy a brand new 2012/2013 Fox-body? Would LOVE to be able to (3100 lbs with a 420 HP 5.0.....drool). But unfortunately, that's not reality.

If I'm a drag racer, and want the baddest new car out there that I intend to take the the drag strip, I get a GT500.

Users who are viewing this thread