Average income for 03 CObra owners

What HOUSEHOLD income bracket to 03 Cobra owners fall under?

• Confidential, None ones business....

Votes: 62 4.1%
  • $0 to <$20,000 (Student, unemployed, no need to work)

Votes: 116 7.7%
  • >$20,000 to <$50,000

Votes: 301 20.1%
  • >$50,000 to <$80,000

Votes: 399 26.6%
  • >$80,000 to <$110,000

Votes: 268 17.9%
  • >$110,000 to <$170,000

Votes: 226 15.1%
  • >$170,000

Votes: 130 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Cool idea...I've seen some flyers for pre-engineering majors that pay $14/hr but I don't think that applies to me yet considering I'm only taking one engineering class and its just getting familiar with MATLAB. But I think I want to go into mechanical engineering....not really sure yet.

Pyro

Established Member
I would try and get an internship in a manufacturing plant even if it's just a runner job. Just to be able to say that you've worked in the industry helps a lot. The next summer you can go back or go elsewhere and upgrade your experience. I interned for the Plant Engineer for a Sara Lee meat plant and I wasn't even an Engineering major. Then next summer, the R&D Department found out that I was a Food Science Major and hired me the next summer. When I graduated, I was offered a job but I took one that paid more. The intern job only paid $10/hr in 1994. Now, 10 years later, I get 4X+ more per hour. Not bad considering the wife makes as much as I do.

Last edited:

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Originally posted by SNCBOOM
I'm an engineering major so something with that in mind would be great but then again I'm just a freshman.

An engineering degree can be very versatile. From there you can attain most any graduate degree that will allow you to make serious income. My undergrad was in EE and many of my former classmates have since become attorneys or doctors. As for me, it's been a long time since I've done design or stamped blueprints...I do financial consulting with a Big 4 firm.

The hardest part of an engineering curriculum is slogging your way through the coursework. That, and the lack datable girls in the classroom (read, no eye candy).

It's easy to switch majors away from engineering. However, it's more difficult to get in.

Just don't be a Civil Engineer...they just don't get a lot of respect. :)

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
Internship...Internship...Internship. They dont pay that well but it's a great investment in your future.

Yes, Definitely! This is a criteria for selecting recent graduates. When I interview a candidate, I ask him/her about internship experience and what they were able to learn and what they would do differently.

Last edited:

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by RedfireVert
Just don't be a Civil Engineer...they just don't get a lot of respect. :)

My brother and father are both Civil Engineers and RedfireVert is correct....they dont get much respect. They are looked upon as expensive blue collar workers BUT they do make a nice living depending on what you do with it. My father (foreign educated)has his own business and growing up, we were by no means "Rich" however, my father (almost) single handedly put three children through college and owned 3+ homes in Northern California. Of course, having your own practice is a big part of that. My brother, on the other hand, graduated in Civil Engineering from Cal Poly, SLO which is a great school if you plan on working in Cali but no big deal elsewhere. He now owns 2 homes in North Cali worth over 1+ million for the pair. They're not "rich" by any stretch of the imagination but they do quite well considering his wife's income is nowhere near his. In short, it depends on what you do with your degree and how hungry you are. As for me, I needed to marry well in order to get the goodies I have, i.e. got the first house and working on a second for retirement purposes.

Take some brotherly advice....work as much as possible in your respective discipline even though you're not sure if it's the discipline you want to follow. Also, money isn't the most important thing. Making 6 figures is no good if there's no security in it. Making $200K is no good if you only work for a few months before you get laid off. At the ripe old age of 34, I've figured that the important things are family, security, and health.

haskett

Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
Internship...Internship...Internship. They dont pay that well but it's a great investment in your future. What type of engineer?

This will guarantee you a job as soon as you graduate. Everyone these days seems to be an engineer or business grad. I interned for two summers (not engineering) before I graduated. When I graduated, I had 3 offers. Good luck.

Ditto!!! Through summer jobs, internships, part-time work, etc, I had been an IT professional for 7 years by the time I got my Bachelor's degree. I made decent money during the process, learned great skills, and most of all, established a great resume when most of my friends' resumes were filled with fast food joints and grocery stores. It takes a lot of hard, persistent work to get those jobs without a degree, and there were times that I had to take "non-professional" jobs when work dried up, but it is well worth it.

haskett

Established Member
My wife and I are on the upper end, but we pay our dues in a fierce kind of way with outrageous work hours and job stress.

Weeks can go by without driving the Cobra, simply because there isn't enough time left over in the day. :(

Just saying that anything good in my life has come at a price. I imagine this is true for most.

That's the side of the equation that is often not made made visible. I'm doing pretty well (wife works only when she wants to, we have a comfortable house, 03 Cobra, etc), but it comes at the price of me being on the road a lot and working 60-80 hour weeks. That means the wife, kids, 03 Cobra, 66 Mustang restoration, and everything else don't get the attention that they should.

Pyro

Established Member
It's comforting to know that I'm not alone with the above statement.

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
When you work...

You trade your available time to receive income. Your available time is a measure of your life. Therefore you are receivng income but trading away some of your life.

Wow, I need a beer.

Pyro

Established Member
When you work...

You trade your available time to receive income. Your available time is a measure of your life. Therefore you are receivng income but trading away some of your life.

Wow, I need a beer.

This is why it is important to love what you do. Unfortunately, I only like what I do. "Loving" my job would be if I drove my 03 Cobra for a living!:)

capnlbj

Beam Me Up Scotty!
Established Member
I work for the gov't and absolutely love what I do. Money had absolutely nothing to do with my career choice. Nobody gets rich working for Uncle Sam. But the job satisfaction rates off the scale!!! Had to love it with the hours, but now transferred, it's almost 9 to 5 with time to play with the toys and the family! And also in the Reserves, since getting off active duty years ago.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
WOW THAT'S HEAVY !

When you work...

Wow, I need a beer.

This statement just stopped me and made me think, great analogy 'RedfireVert'.

:eek:

CheeseFrog

Established Member
I don't own an '03 Cobra yet. I just started working for myself 3 weeks ago, and I'm pulling a very humble $2100 or so a month. I run a subscription-based website which I charge $20/month, recurring every month (not cheesefrog.com). My goal is to get about 1000 users (I'm averaging about 30 new users per week) as quickly as possible. The beauty of it is I wake up whenever I want. I go to bed whenever I want. I play Quake for hours on end. I go out cruising on nice days... Maybe go catch a movie. I can run my site from wherever. Not really tied to one location. I actually "work" (more like FUN to me though lol) about 4 or 5 hours a week. Not sure why I didn't start doing this a lot sooner. I just can't believe I wasted so many years of my life in a cubical working for idiots.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Can we trade..?

Originally posted by CheeseFrog
I don't own an '03 Cobra yet. I just started working for myself 3 weeks ago, and I'm pulling a very humble $2100 or so a month. I run a subscription-based website which I charge $20/month, recurring every month (not cheesefrog.com). My goal is to get about 1000 users (I'm averaging about 30 new users per week) as quickly as possible. The beauty of it is I wake up whenever I want. I go to bed whenever I want. I play Quake for hours on end. I go out cruising on nice days... Maybe go catch a movie. I can run my site from wherever. Not really tied to one location. I actually "work" (more like FUN to me though lol) about 4 or 5 hours a week. Not sure why I didn't start doing this a lot sooner. I just can't believe I wasted so many years of my life in a cubical working for idiots.

Your story is inspiring to those of us who want to be entrepreneurs but still are afraid of the risk. Congrats, would love to and will someday own my own business. Until then it's 50 hours a week to Corporate America. Just curious, ist he $2100 a month before or after taxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread