BAD result from 4lb lower and Preditor

SliverSnailSVT

Established Member
I just got my 4lb lower pulley and Preditor put on my 02 L. Everything felt good in 1st gear but when i was getting out of second i was hearing a slight detionation. I called my local performance shop and i took him for a ride and he said it is ok for now and that he was going to call metco about the pulley and see if i needed to run colder plugs. They said the L didnt need colder plugs w/ what i did. So my local performance shop told me to go on the highway and see if it makes a louder detionation noise in 3rd gear so i did. I was accelerating to 115 and it would go any faster. So when that happened i called the guy back and he told me to come in to the shop. In the mean time i was heading back and i hit it to pass a truck and was doing 70 mph and i threw a rod threw the oil pan and put a huge crack in the block. So i had it towed to the shop and and they put all my stock parts on and stock tune and erased all the codes in the computer after disconnecting the battery. So tomorrow im bringing it to the dealer to hope it will be covered under warranty. I only had 25000 miles on it and i still have time on my warranty so hopefully it will all work out.

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
Really sorry to hear about your bad luck, but I also can't believe that guy told you to run your truck harder to see if it made the noise louder. I hope you get it all taken care of under warranty!

Rob

speeder

Established Member
The guy at your local performance shop is an idiot and knows nothing about tunning a Lightning, first, when you hear detonation the last thing you do is get on it harder, that part is your fault to for not knowing better. second, its always a good idea to change your plugs when you add more boost, if your local performance guy knows anything about vehicles with superchargers, then he should know that. I hope you get lucky and ford covers your motor under warranty, otherwise your looking at a lot of money out of your pocket for a new engine. the above is just my opinion because I see/hear of to many people that go out and buy a Lightning and then start moding it with out doing any research, and sometimes the results come out very bad, as in your case.

(Flame Suit On)

Last edited:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
damn i'm sorry to hear about that......i hope everything works out for you with warranty and all. when everything gets situated, put the parts back on but get JLP to give you a tune

SICKBOY

Established Member
Originally posted by LOKOSVT
And it all happened with just a 4# lower.

And a whack ass predator loaded tune....no doubt the "pulley" tune with the 2million degrees of timming and a wicked lean a/f, on stock plugs...and on a hint a detonation, is advised to beat it harder.......speachless to be honest with you...it sux no doubt...again this is why it pays to do your research...and feel free to flame the piss outta me....JUST THE FACTS

Last edited:

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
I agree with Sickboy...if something doesn't sound right....don't piss it off even more. Deal with ppl who race and make performance parts for a Lightning....for a living. Don't just go to "Joe-Shmoe's Shady Tree Service shop"....do more homework next time!!!

Not trying to piss ya off bro....i hope all gets better for ya and ya get the bolt running soon!!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Originally posted by Red03SVT
I don't think it's ford's fault. I'm sorry to hear about your L, but thats just what I think

-Mike

Very true, you're slowing the growth of my stocks. If mine blew up tomorrow I wouldn't try to waranty it, not only because it's dishonest but because it'd be time to upgrade.

redz_02

Established Member
good point to make JLP my best friend when i start modding. My friend had a 2002 with a 6lb lower and when winter came along it detonated on the freeway while running with a vette. Shattered 2 of the valves. Tunning was the issue b/c he went with an aggressive tune. Guess it didn't matter to him b/c he fixed it and traded it in on an 02 z06 which now is a 600 hp z07. Just wished i had my lightning then so i could have had his bassanni catback and kooks headers.

Last edited:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
you mean your not supposed to push down harder on the loud pedal when you hear detonation?:dw: this is new to me, i just thought you were getting a better burn:bash:
well i guess we know of atleast 2 more people who dont know shyt about Lightnings or cars in general

team23jordan

Subaru Legacy GT
Established Member
Originally posted by SID297
Very true, you're slowing the growth of my stocks. If mine blew up tomorrow I wouldn't try to waranty it, not only because it's dishonest but because it'd be time to upgrade.

ditto
i wouldn't lie plus it's not ford's fault
its not right to go through the warrenty
its your fault, i wouldn't go through warrenty if i were you
fraud is not cool

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Those were my first thoughts as well...

Sucks though...

Originally posted by speeder
The guy at your local performance shop is an idiot and knows nothing about tunning a Lightning, first,

OH-MAN

Established Member
Well if ford won't give you a motor perhaps you could try predator
Seems this is a common thing and they might see the problem as a coutinuing thing ?
Or am I being crazy?

Users who are viewing this thread