Battery Keeps Draining

Ghost11

Established Member
For some reason the battery in my Cobra keeps draining..

I had my battery checked it turned out fine.

If I fully charge my battery and drive the car for a hour or so
you can feel the car starting to lose power.Last time it actually
died at the stop light,Dead Battery again....

Bad Alternator?

It does have a aftermarket Stereo/Power Amp/Security System if
that matters.....

Any idea?

Fury327

Lurker
Established Member
Find out what voltage you have on the battery with the car running.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Well if u fully charge the car and it dies that's the alt not charging it back up. Check for belt slip and get a good alt now

Monster Mach

Established Member
Let's say it is the Alt....

Where should I purchase a new one?Do I want a beefed up one?

I would google mechman alt ( he is by far the best in the business) tell him it's for a car that eat alts which cobras do. Made to spin shit out of them. You pay a bit steeper of a price but you get a piece your not going to have to replace like the remans and give you enough juice to do whatever you like

cobracide

Established Member
Get the voltage reading, if your alt is bad the voltage will be low 12's or worse. Underspin the stock alternator with a larger pulley.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
I vote alternator...have your battery light came on anytime recently? Did your abs light come on before it died?

Emwun Garand

Established Member
You might be drawing too much power at idle and the alt can't keep up. Could try a smaller alternator pulley to increase the belt speed at idle.

Also, check to make sure all of your grounds are good. I'm chasing down electrical gremlins right now myself and I discovered a hack job of wiring that the last shop to work on my car left me.

X3FBrian

Established Member
Small alternator pulley? That's the worst advice I've ever heard. If anything put a bigger alternator pulley on to prevent your alternator from crapping out.

OP, my car is doing the same thing and I've put a 170 amp alternator, larger pulley and a new battery and it's still doing it.

Do a parasitic draw test before throwing money at a problem that can be a number of different things.

badazzebz06

Established Member
my brand new alternator ford oem took a shit at 1500 miles 13 months and it has a metco 3.5 pulley...those turds at ford wouldnt give me a new one cause its only a 12 month warranty lol anyway it sounds like your alternator....replace the alternator and while you are putting in the fresh one either buy a new battery or charge the current one to 100% with a battery tender

Tractionless1

Established Member
I would google mechman alt ( he is by far the best in the business) tell him it's for a car that eat alts which cobras do. Made to spin shit out of them. You pay a bit steeper of a price but you get a piece your not going to have to replace like the remans and give you enough juice to do whatever you like

+1 and I speak from experience. You want a billet tech and at least 180 amp.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
I had the same issue. My specific cars problem was a breaking wire from the connector harness to the alternator itself. One of the wires was broken which didn't allow the recharging system to work properly. I found this out after 3 brand new batteries and 3 alternators. I also finally went with a PA upgraded Alternator with the larger pulley to slow its rotation down during higher rpms. I also put a motorcraft battery in as well as a new belt. Once I got the wire on the connector harness figured out, my car is excellent now.

I also have an aftermarket subwoofer system and amp, as well as remote start and security system. None of that mattered.

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
I had the same issue. My specific cars problem was a breaking wire from the connector harness to the alternator itself. One of the wires was broken which didn't allow the recharging system to work properly. I found this out after 3 brand new batteries and 3 alternators.

Your not the first to have a connector problem.Was it at the plug itself or further up the harness?

Users who are viewing this thread