Battery Tenders

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Hi SVTP, first time poster here

What's everyone using for a battery tender on their car
I'm not sure I feel comfortable leaving it on around the clock but simply starting the car and letting it idle every Sunday is no longer working

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I have used these on multiple cars for 20+ years. Never an issue. Battery always last 8+ years easy. I use them almost year round actually.

IMG_2244.JPG

IMG_2245.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Battery tender 4 bank charger, battery tender 2 bank charger and the little trickle charger is what has worked for me. Been over a decade.
Leave them plugged in, all off season.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I have a bunch of Deltran's but have switched to CTEK when buying more. Another CTEK arrived yesterday.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The car is either being driven or on the tender..........24/7/365..
This one is 9+ years old, the one that went with my 2011 is 12 years old. The guy that recommended this one ran 7 of them..

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
^^^ I use the same Battery Tender model as Alibi. If my car is not driven for 2-3 weeks, I put the Tender on it overnight for about 10-12 hours and the battery attains full charge. I don’t leave it connected. I also have a Battery Tender Jr. for my motorcycles that I use for battery charge top off. It doesn’t stay connected either.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I went with a CTEK recommendation from someone on here a couple years ago and have No issues. It’s only 3 years old, but simple enough to use.

I put the car on it in the winter when I’m done driving. Never use it during the driving season.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve got a ctek that stays in the car all the time for like 8-10 years and it’s finally going out, I’ll buy another.

We leave battery tender brand ones on our generators year round.

Imho starting the car and letting it idle for a few does more harm than good if it’s not at full temp for a while to boil off the moisture you’re creating

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Have been thru many cars since 1995 but my battery tenders keep on ticking. Use them 24/7/365 and both are shown in the pic that was just taken today on the two cars in the garage. My original super smart tender was purchased in 11/95 as shown on the box and has never been down. 37 plus years old and still running 24/7. DSCN1871.JPGDSCN1873.JPG

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I did not think to add a picture. Use whenever I do not drive regularly. I do leave it on with no problems when not driving. Still have original battery on 2014 GT500.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I use the CTEK Multi US 7002. Excellent product and works well with the 2014 GT500.

I went with a CTEK recommendation from someone on here a couple years ago and have No issues. It’s only 3 years old, but simple enough to use.

I put the car on it in the winter when I’m done driving. Never use it during the driving season.

I’ve got a ctek that stays in the car all the time for like 8-10 years and it’s finally going out, I’ll buy another.

We leave battery tender brand ones on our generators year round.

Imho starting the car and letting it idle for a few does more harm than good if it’s not at full temp for a while to boil off the moisture you’re creating
I agree with ALL of this ^^. I have three CTEK chargers in my garage. The Shelby is on a Ford Performance M-10300-FP. The Z06 is on a (no longer made) US 3300 Corvette Model 1051 (made by CTEK for GM). I hot-swap a CTEK MULTI US 7002 between my Tacoma and my wife's BMW.

While many report leaving them connected for months at a time, I can't bring myself to do it. I saw pics (years ago) of someone's 2013/2014 GT500 that was badly burned, along with much of the owner's garage, by a battery charger/tender related fire. As details came out, it became clear the owner had done some kind of foolish daisy-chaining of his car and motorcycle on the charger. Despite the problem having been self-inflicted, I'll never forget the pics, so I unplug everything when we're not home. Obviously, YMMV...

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with ALL of this ^^. I have three CTEK chargers in my garage. The Shelby is on a Ford Performance M-10300-FP. The Z06 is on a (no longer made) US 3300 Corvette Model 1051 (made by CTEK for GM). I hot-swap a CTEK MULTI US 7002 between my Tacoma and my wife's BMW.

While many report leaving them connected for months at a time, I can't bring myself to do it. I saw pics (years ago) of someone's 2013/2014 GT500 that was badly burned, along with much of the owner's garage, by a battery charger/tender related fire. As details came out, it became clear the owner had done some kind of foolish daisy-chaining of his car and motorcycle on the charger. Despite the problem having been self-inflicted, I'll never forget the pics, so I unplug everything when we're not home. Obviously, YMMV...
I saw that fire but didn’t see about the daisy chaining crap. If you can afford a car and motorcycle like that you can afford multiple chargers

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member

This should never happen with a quality charger unless used improperly. Thats why you use one that is fused properly on the positive cable!!

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Can this be used when flashing the ecu? Your recommendation on anything electrical is pure gold! Will probably go with this. I want a 10A smart charger that can also function as a maintainer.

SS sleeps with this attached around the clock. Never an issue!!!!!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
This should never happen with a quality charger unless used improperly. Thats why you use one that is fused properly on the positive cable!!

Completely agree, my friend. I just can't get the images out of my head every time I plug-in one of my cars.

Can this be used when flashing the ecu? Your recommendation on anything electrical is pure gold! Will probably go with this. I want a 10A smart charger that can also function as a maintainer.
I'm also interested in @Vinnie_B's feedback. In my experience, power fluctuations or loss of power during the process can brick an ECU. I can't speak for the NOCO unit he recommended, but that's why I have my CTEK MUS 7002 connected in Supply mode anytime I'm flashing an ECU. (I'd guess the NOCO has a similar setting suitable to the task.)

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Either one of these would work fine @ShelbyGT5HUN as a battery Maintainer. I chose the 10 A version for my own personally needs.

I don't recommend using chargers/maintainers to flash a ECU or any Module @ShelbyGT5HUN @Norton . These are designed for charging/Maintaining batteries and the voltage is very unstable and fluctuates. When flashing a module maintaining clean, constant and reliable system voltage is what's critical. There are appropriate flash programming power supplies that need to be used or you risk bricking a module. Here is what im using:

ECU-Module Programming/Diagnostic troubleshooting power supply with battery support recommendation

schumacher-flash-reprogrammer-jpg.1741491

If you have any further quetions regarding this please feel free to reach out to me.

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I don't recommend using chargers/maintainers to flash a ECU or any Module @ShelbyGT5HUN @Norton . These are designed for charging/Maintaining batteries and the voltage is very unstable and fluctuates. When flashing a module maintaining clean, constant and reliable system voltage is what's critical. There are appropriate flash programming power supplies that need to be used or you risk bricking a module. Here is what im using:

ECU-Module Programming/Diagnostic troubleshooting power supply with battery support recommendation

schumacher-flash-reprogrammer-jpg.1741491

If you have any further quetions regarding this please feel free to reach out to me.

That's interesting. Thanks, @Vinnie_B.

I figured CTEK's Supply Mode, which is rated to provide a "steady" 13.6V, was better than risking power fluctuation on the battery alone. You've got me re-evaluating my process...

Users who are viewing this thread