Beat a Hellcat... WTF?

Blackoyote

Established Member
Definitely not doing anything wrong, I can bang gears with the best of them. The power to weight ratio of a 03 Cobra with 600whp and a bone stock manual Hellcat are VERY, VERY close. My car may have been heat soaked because we had been out driving around before we rolled it off and it was 90, but if that's what did it that's even more testament to how stout those cars are since mine had a twin screw and cooling mods. He had a solid 2-2.5 cars on me by 130 when I shut it down.

Those cars are monsters. Plain and simple.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
This is not at all unbelievable. Good "kill" OP. There's vid here of a scat pack challenger (lol at that disgusting name) beating a manual hellcat with drag radials multiple times. They're tanks and with a less than stellar driver they are not at all unbeatable by a 520+HP Mach 1.

And I kindly doubt homedude with the kitten went out and spent ~$70k on a 700+HP car so that he could put the "slow" key in it and try to pick on people. Makes no sense folks.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Op beat driver, guy could have pussy footed his car during break in phase. I would do that if I had a viper I knew I was keeping.

Either way, a win is a win, even if the much faster car lost.

DRK HRS

Established Member
^ That's what I'm thinking happened. It sounded like full throttle, but like somebody else said those things are limited to 500-something HP for 750 miles or so. That sounds about right for how bad I beat him when you consider the weight. I don't think I consider it a win.

DRK HRS

Established Member
This is not at all unbelievable. Good "kill" OP. There's vid here of a scat pack challenger (lol at that disgusting name) beating a manual hellcat with drag radials multiple times. They're tanks and with a less than stellar driver they are not at all unbeatable by a 520+HP Mach 1.

And I kindly doubt homedude with the kitten went out and spent ~$70k on a 700+HP car so that he could put the "slow" key in it and try to pick on people. Makes no sense folks.

Maybe if it was 520 at the wheels, but that's my estimated crank power. (448 x 1.16)

Jiffy

Established Member
Maybe if it was 520 at the wheels, but that's my estimated crank power. (448 x 1.16)

1.16 is an accepted multiplier? I had thought a stick shift lost about 25% (auto about 30%) through the drivetrain, but maybe that was older 60's generation cars...

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
Most people I see driving Hellcats are old folks. It was like when the 2007 and 13 GT500's came out. Very few young guys driving it; mostly car collectors looking for a cool car to drive. Now that I think of it, most old people drive SRTs. I guess they want to relive their golden years....

Anyway, good kill. The Hellcats are fast as shit, but like every other car out there, they are at the mercy of the "driver."

I remember when I had my stock 12 GT and held my own really well against a V2 CTS-V...

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
You beat that Hellcat due to his wheelspin. Cars at that power level don't hook up until 70. Had Johnny law not been present he would have freight-trained away from you.

Great motor, fat pig of a chassis. An E85, pulley, tune Hellcat was only running 178 at the Colorado Mile. They're dyno queens.

Bmr4life

Established Member
1.16 is an accepted multiplier? I had thought a stick shift lost about 25% (auto about 30%) through the drivetrain, but maybe that was older 60's generation cars...
Your numbers are way off for cars today. RWD manuals and autos are around 15% with some autos being just a couple points higher.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
You beat that Hellcat due to his wheelspin. Cars at that power level don't hook up until 70. Had Johnny law not been present he would have freight-trained away from you.

Great motor, fat pig of a chassis. An E85, pulley, tune Hellcat was only running 178 at the Colorado Mile. They're dyno queens.

I agree. Totally dyno queens. I mean, a 4400lb car that can crank off a 10 second pass right from the showroom floor is way overhyped. What is wrong with people

Jmurrz

Established Member
I believe it if he had the other key in. I raced an auto hellkitty with my ~600RWHP Cobra last week and pulled him quite a few lengths. My buddies bolt on GTR pulled a buss and a half.

Bmr4life

Established Member
Weight makes less of a difference once the vehicles are already in motion. Hellcats are 10.8s cars on drag radials in the quarter mile. So from a roll they are fast cars.

Cumbersome101

Established Member
We race 1000 ft and they barely break into the 9s. Nice cars. I got to drive a newer gt 500 that's the car u want. And with the weight even on paper it's faster than the hellcat the only thing is that ford doesn't advertise like mopar does. I've driven both now including countless zl1 Camaro. Oviously I like the SVT. But hey a driver can and will determine the race especially on the street.

Bmr4life

Established Member
Ones in my area run mid/high 11s at low 120s with drag radials.
Lots of things can contribute to that. Driver skill as well as enviroment. Doesn't change the fact that they can run 10.8s on DRs. Also, the 120s trap speed shows the are fast cars.

Last edited:

avgt500

Established Member
We race 1000 ft and they barely break into the 9s. Nice cars. I got to drive a newer gt 500 that's the car u want. And with the weight even on paper it's faster than the hellcat the only thing is that ford doesn't advertise like mopar does. I've driven both now including countless zl1 Camaro. Oviously I like the SVT. But hey a driver can and will determine the race especially on the street.

My local track is 1000 ft but unprepped, 9s on this track (willowsprings) is hauling ass.

Users who are viewing this thread