Best fun car under 5k for daily driving

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
My vote is for a 350z, I've had two and love them for daily drivers. You should be able to find a decent '03-'05 DE in that price range, the last one I bought was a high mileage '03 for $3900.

vergil

Established Member
yeah has 205.000 miles but got a better clutch/transmission than my 2012 GT. Just had to change couple seals and gaskets and had to drove it from Pensacola to Orlando which is like 8 hours without any issues.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
You can get a nice LS1 for that. Don't lsiten to these guys saying it will be junk that cheap. I flip fbodies regularly. I got $4800 for my last one. It was a full bolt on 99z28 with 107k miles. 6speed. All new ac. Etc etc.

Kiohtee

Established Member
In all fairness, OP will have to look through a lot of LS1s that end up being just that; junk. But with a $5-7k budget, you should be able to get something nice with 80-125k miles, depending on color and options.

FWIW, I bought a base model '98 Z28 with ~150k miles a few years ago for $3,800. It had 2.73 gears and a automatic transmission but still mustered out a solid 8.8 with my heavy ass in it! Great cars/motors that will easily last 200k+ miles with proper maintenance.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
You already have a fun car. Save money and buy a 5-spd Honda, maybe a Civic si, or maybe an Accord. Run the snot out of it, throw mulch in the back, give no Fxxks and save money for go fast parts.
There is an old saying that goes "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow".

LS1 F-bodies are pretty reliable if you don't mind replacing window motors, sloppy steering columns, VATS. But don't expect more than 18-20 real world mpg's.

Mitsubishi's of all years are junk. If you buy a $5000 Eclipse, 3000GT, SRT-4, WRX, I guarantee it'll turn into a $10,000 Eclipse, 3000GT, SRT-4, WRX within a year or so.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I was just going to post the same. I really loved my 97. Quite possibly the best $1,500 I ever spent. Sometimes I think I had more fun in that than my Z06...until I hit the go pedal in the Z LOL. I'm actually looking for another NA Miata to add to the stable. I miss it that much.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
OP- Go with a nice bolt-on foxbody. Talk to Never Enough, he finds them all day for $5k apparently, lol.

Depending on what you want, I've occasionally seen 96-01 Cobras around $7000, F-body can be had (I'm partial to the Formulas) for the similar.
00-01.5 S4 would be good if you want to try AWD and better interior, etc. Prices really aren't bad for repairs/mods, about the same as a SN-95. Only pricey thing really is turbo's which are in the $2000 range depending on what you want.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Mitsubishi's of all years are junk. If you buy a $5000 Eclipse, 3000GT, SRT-4, WRX, I guarantee it'll turn into a $10,000 Eclipse, 3000GT, SRT-4, WRX within a year or so.

Only because you'll end up wanting to mod them.

Unless you get pos examples. Though I've never spent close to that on any of mine. My 350hp 16g setup was maybe $3k all in and both my 2nd gens were commuters. I put 80k on my last one in three years.

Dusten

Established Member
new edge gt is very reliable, and not something you'll want to mod because in bolt on form they make shit for power.

MysticRob

Established Member
Get a decent aero notchback from 89-93 (or CA cars from 88) since they came with MAF and are easier to mod. Throw a CAI, some aluminum heads, headers, and exhaust and you're looking at real fun.

Dusten

Established Member
Get a decent aero notchback from 89-93 (or CA cars from 88) since they came with MAF and are easier to mod. Throw a CAI, some aluminum heads, headers, and exhaust and you're looking at real fun.
Youre also looking at a 25+ year old car as a dd.

MysticRob

Established Member
Youre also looking at a 25+ year old car as a dd.

Yeah, but it's a Ford, it's a Mustang, and it's gonna be rust-free since OP lives in central CA.

Of course it is Fresno, so good luck finding one that isn't beat to hell, doesn't have a massive whale tail spoiler, or isn't cobbled together like this lovely example discussed in another thread. :D
https://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/5390073200.html

Might have to come up my way for a good notch then. :shrug:

BladeX10

Established Member
I daily drove a 1998 Camaro Z28 from 09-11. The thing was bulletproof reliable. Bought it with 173k miles on it for $4200 and sold it with 193k. Plus it made 315RWHP on the dyno with mild bolt ons. Cant get any better than that.

As a matter of fact, I'll be on the hunt for another one since i cant stand driving a 4 cyl ecobox any longer.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

I was just going to post the same. I really loved my 97. Quite possibly the best $1,500 I ever spent. Sometimes I think I had more fun in that than my Z06...until I hit the go pedal in the Z LOL. I'm actually looking for another NA Miata to add to the stable. I miss it that much.

+65,000

If i were looking for a fun dd/toy i would go the small and handles on rails route.

Users who are viewing this thread