Best fun car under 5k for daily driving

MysticRob

Established Member
99% of foxes are clapped out at this point. The non Junkers will be 9-11k minimum

Maybe in Georgia, but certainly not out here in sunny (well, not lately) Clownifornia. They're everywhere so prices are kept lower, I suppose due to law of supply and demand. But like I said earlier, there's a better selection further north or south of Fresno.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
You have the clap?

I remember when I was eleven.

You think a $5k gtp won't be a pile? There are plenty of $5k foxes here.

GTPs were piles the second they came off the assembly line. :D I didn't suggest a GTP.

Maybe in Georgia, but certainly not out here in sunny (well, not lately) Clownifornia. They're everywhere so prices are kept lower, I suppose due to law of supply and demand. But like I said earlier, there's a better selection further north or south of Fresno.

Yeah not here in GA. Hell modfoxes are 20+ out here....guys want 5k for decent rollers....

MysticRob

Established Member

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
If your going to find a daily for 5k with minimal amount of maintenance work while driving it won't be German car. I bought mine 5 years ago for 4K but I did numerous amount of work to get it in the tip top shape it's in now. I would look into Honda, Ford, or Chevy. If you want something with luxury and performance the older German performance cars are not bad if you can swing the costs of the upkeep. My buddy has svt focus and he calls it "old faithful", it has close to 200k still pulling strong. He hauls mustang parts around and drives it everywhere. I don't think he put a lot of work into maintenance either.

Last edited:

Rios302

Established Member
Yeah, but it's a Ford, it's a Mustang, and it's gonna be rust-free since OP lives in central CA.

Of course it is Fresno, so good luck finding one that isn't beat to hell, doesn't have a massive whale tail spoiler, or isn't cobbled together like this lovely example discussed in another thread. :D
https://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/5390073200.html

Might have to come up my way for a good notch then. :shrug:
That's true when it comes to fox bodies here in fresno Lol. The heat also melts Camaros apparently.

https://visalia.craigslist.org/cto/5409852249.html

Rios302

Established Member
The motorcycle buyer is just waiting for his taxes to buy it off from me so in the meantime I have a bit of extra time fantasying about buying a car. It's been an exciting hunt so far and many of the suggestions I have been contemplating. At the moment this are my choices of interest. 2006+ Mini Cooper S (not reliable) , S2000 (high mileage), 98+ Jeep wrangler, and the 350z. They all have their issues but if I am honest the best choice would probably be the 350z. However that's the car I am least interested of the 4.

Zemedici

Established Member
You and I need to go into biz together then. I'll buy them here, drive them out to you after ensuring they're in good enough shape, and you flip them out there. We'll be rich in no time!

We'll start with this one:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5417172827.html

I want this one for myself:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5416177772.html

That second one would bring 7-8k here easy. First one not too sure, maybe 10 but you'd have to wait for the right buyer with those mods. Clean cars are hard to come by here, it's why I sold my 110k mile 2004 cobra for 17,500. :)

Rios302

Established Member
You and I need to go into biz together then. I'll buy them here, drive them out to you after ensuring they're in good enough shape, and you flip them out there. We'll be rich in no time!

We'll start with this one:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5417172827.html

I want this one for myself:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5416177772.html

The white 5.0 looks good and it sure is a car I will recommend buying however there is no contact number. I just reply with an email see if they respond.

MysticRob

Established Member
The white 5.0 looks good and it sure is a car I will recommend buying however there is no contact number. I just reply with an email see if they respond.

You on your phone? I ask because I see the 'show contact info' button on my laptop just fine. Here's the # - 510.631.8383.

Last edited:

TaraFirma

Established Member
5 speed Honda civic.
Reliable, cheap, funish to drive, great gas mileage, and there are so many out there, you can find a nice one for a good price.
I DD an 03 civic hybrid with a 5 speed. I regularly see 48-50 MPG

MysticRob

Established Member
5 speed Honda civic.
Reliable, cheap, funish to drive, great gas mileage, and there are so many out there, you can find a nice one for a good price.
I DD an 03 civic hybrid with a 5 speed. I regularly see 48-50 MPG

You have to get the hybrid batteries replaced in that 13yr old car yet? My buddy had the CVT version and I liked that car a lot. I bought a 2008 Escape Hybrid, then later sold it for a C-Max Hybrid. Like 'em all, especially with our high-ass CA gas prices.

alicecooper

Established Member
You already have a fun car. Save money and buy a 5-spd Honda, maybe a Civic si, or maybe an Accord. Run the snot out of it, throw mulch in the back, give no Fxxks and save money for go fast parts.

Mitsubishi's of all years are junk. If you buy a $5000 Eclipse, 3000GT, SRT-4, WRX, I guarantee it'll turn into a $10,000 Eclipse, 3000GT, SRT-4, WRX within a year or so.

My whole town is full of those types of people that buy VTEC Hondas and beat on them trying to be fast, most need new rings now.

I would never own a non VR4 3kGT. But as for the VR4, every 60k miles they need like $5k worth of work so definitely a no.

Eclipses on the other hand, don't take much to up keep. Every 30k do the timing belt. Every 60k I would do the water pump. I don't remember about the oil pump, but since you're in there, could do that too. The maintenance isn't horrible on them and they're a really fun car. Just if you get one, first thing I would do is take some extra cash and do the water and oil pump(maybe?) and a Gates belt. The more stock the better as well.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I'd like to see evidence of "clean, sub 100k" ls1 fbodies for $5,000. :bs: Even nice 3rd gens command more than that. I have been a member of ls1tech for over a decade and i cant ever remember someone giving their car away for that cheap unless it had driven around the globe, twice.

ive always wanted a sunset orange metallic Ws6

Blown 89

Established Member
You can pick up decent 01 Cobras around that price range. They'll be over 100k miles though. I almost sold mine for that last month but I need time to get the stereo out and finish bolting on new shocks and struts. The hard part is getting one that's been taken care of well enough to be reliable.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
GTP or Regal GS - sleeper status. Pulley swap, intake, tune, and exhaust and your running low 14's or high 13's.

Zemedici

Established Member
I'd like to see evidence of "clean, sub 100k" ls1 fbodies for $5,000. :bs: Even nice 3rd gens command more than that. I have been a member of ls1tech for over a decade and i cant ever remember someone giving their car away for that cheap unless it had driven around the globe, twice.

preach.

nxhappy

Established Member
You can pick up decent 01 Cobras around that price range. They'll be over 100k miles though. I almost sold mine for that last month but I need time to get the stereo out and finish bolting on new shocks and struts. The hard part is getting one that's been taken care of well enough to be reliable.

Where is this 5 grand cobra you speak of ....

Dusten

Established Member

Best i can find is 150k lol
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5397174594.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ctd/5402776217.html

Here's what i found when i searched cl
9058eb54a4a760163988dbeb78ab4709.jpg

Jaysin

Established Member
Yea I never find any good deals on anything around here. I've never seen a new edge Cobra for 5k or less, maybe a roller that needs an engine and trans. You maybe could find a ragged out sn95 around that, most of those start around 7k. I have seen srt4s in that range, and for the money and fun factor I'd definitely have those at the top of the list.

Users who are viewing this thread