Best heat exchanger currently on the market?

irontexan

Established Member
I know this is a topic that has been heavily discussed, but I haven't been able to find much in the way of answers and with VMP recently improving their product, has the gap finally been opened up a little?

The two I am comparing is the new VMP triple pass with 11" fans and the C&R dual pass with 9" fans, both sitting at around $800. I am leaving out the C&R Super Competition with 11" fans due to the additional $400 price tag.

As a person who knows diddly about heat exchangers and heat exchanger cores, the VMP unit would seem to be the superior unit and comparable or better than the Super Competition Unit. That said I have read plenty of reviews raving about the performance of the C&R unit with 9" fans.

So while I have no doubt both products work, with the changes in the market, is their clearly a better product available right now?

TheGovernment

Established Member
I've just started looking at this as well and the VMP and CR's units are the 2 that I see that people run, mostly the CR unit. I will just be using mine on the street, no trackon my 08 500. I've noticed that heat soak is a huge problem in my 08, to the point where its boring to drive.
I'm getting 3:73's next week and with the HE, should be much better to drive.

From what I see the CR unit looks to be a bit more oem in install and the VMP unit looks to be the same size as the bigger CR for 1100$ I don't know about the quality of materials of either one and would like some info as well.

I try only to put high quality parts on my vehicles, though I'm sure either one would be awesome!

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I have ran the c&r unit on my car flawlessly for the last 3 years and it works. Wiring it in was a bit of a pain but that isn't my strong suit splicing wires in. The vmp is plug n play with no wires to cut, any of them will work great at keeping temps down. Do the bigger reservoir and cooler t stat while your at it.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Well, according to VMP website, their unit is a custom made from AFCO, and a triple pass is defiantly better than double (I'm going with the VMP unit next month).
Although I haven't tried either one and I don't know the quality of either one as well. But that is how I see it at least.

No doubt both units are good, and both AFCO and C&R are popular (not sure about the VMP TRIPLE).

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I doubt you will any difference in cooling between the C&R, VMP or AFCO units

+1. Just make sure you get something with cooling fans. I have been running the C&R on the street and track since 2009 with no problems.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I'm in the market as well, I was also looking at the Shelby units made by C&R. I'm looking for ease of installation as well as performance and price. The competition models are not in my budget. I'd like to hear from the vendors themselves as well as customers of each.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I run an AFCO ProSeries. Same one we sell. I had it well before we built our own dual pass/dual fan. Works great. No issues ever.

Our dual pass/dual fan unit was made to our spec by AFCO, as is the new triple pass/11" fan model.

The triple pass/11" unit is massive. If I were road racing it's exactly what I'd get as I'd want every bit of air I could get in there and the third pass through cooling would be great But as a daily driver/track dog, my AFCO works just fine. I can be in the pits after a pass, with the engine/pump/fans off and see 170* downstream because it's been sitting there boiling in its own heat. Turn on the fans/pump and it'll drop to 120 in about a minute. Couple that with a tune that designed to take advantage of that cooling (ie spark pulled for high iat being shifted up and not so aggressive) and I don't see any performance loss at all.

Your call, but either one will work. Yes, our version is totally PNP but the AFCO piece doesn't require much to make it work. About another 5 minutes, if you stop and have a sandwich.

We have both in stock.

bj

TheGovernment

Established Member
BJ how is the fitment in the 08's? I know it says there is a bit to cut on the bottom of the support. Is there any pics of the actual mod needed? I won't be doing it myself, one of the mechanics at work will be doing it. Is there good instructions to go along wit it? he will have a poop if he has to do it blind lol

I know from experience that bigger usually means a pain in the ass..... hehehe but seriously When I had my Regal, I went through a bunch of rads and intercoolers to find one that fit properly. Going froma small stock HE to that monster, it's got to be extremely tight.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
The triple pass/11" unit is massive. If I were road racing it's exactly what I'd get as I'd want every bit of air I could get in there and the third pass through cooling would be great But as a daily driver/track dog, my AFCO works just fine. I can be in the pits after a pass, with the engine/pump/fans off and see 170* downstream because it's been sitting there boiling in its own heat. Turn on the fans/pump and it'll drop to 120 in about a minute. Couple that with a tune that designed to take advantage of that cooling (ie spark pulled for high iat being shifted up and not so aggressive) and I don't see any performance loss at all.

Same here. When I installed my C&R, it was not PNP, but I am an electronics technician so wiring in the relays and fans plus a bypass switch was not difficult.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
BJ how is the fitment in the 08's? I know it says there is a bit to cut on the bottom of the support. Is there any pics of the actual mod needed? I won't be doing it myself, one of the mechanics at work will be doing it. Is there good instructions to go along wit it? he will have a poop if he has to do it blind lol

I know from experience that bigger usually means a pain in the ass..... hehehe but seriously When I had my Regal, I went through a bunch of rads and intercoolers to find one that fit properly. Going froma small stock HE to that monster, it's got to be extremely tight.

A couple of guys have done it....I haven't personally. We've talked about doing it on my car just for fitment purposes, but haven't done it. If you're concerned about the fitment being really simple, just buy the AFCO.

bj

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I have Revan Racing unit, works great.

Its going to be a Ford/Chevy debate. Everyone will think what they run is the best

MattR

Established Member
My Revan/C&R was a bolt in, front cover removal is intimidating but is really easy. The wiring isn't hard either, but if someone offered a plug and play that would sway me for sure.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I run the Steeda triple pass H/E and I have 10 inch spal fans. The Steeda unit ha a truly easy to use plug and play harness, it works great and is put together very well.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I run the Steeda triple pass H/E and I have 10 inch spal fans. The Steeda unit ha a truly easy to use plug and play harness, it works great and is put together very well.

I almost bought this unit during a sale steeda was running but the unit was fairly new and I hadn't heard much about it except steeda's claims that it was the best one on the market. I still haven't heard much about it but if they ever have another 20% off sale I might have to try it.

Does VMP offer an svtperformance discount? If so, how much and what's the code?

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
I almost bought this unit during a sale steeda was running but the unit was fairly new and I hadn't heard much about it except steeda's claims that it was the best one on the market. I still haven't heard much about it but if they ever have another 20% off sale I might have to try it.

Does VMP offer an svtperformance discount? If so, how much and what's the code?

I looked at that too. Plug and play is nice.

Users who are viewing this thread