Best heat exchanger currently on the market?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I was considering the Killer Chiller but this seems much less work since I already have the HE in place.

The Killer Chiller rocks! But it is quite a bit of work to install it. Just depends on the level of cooling you want for your IAT2. With my Chiller, after some hard runs, I have yet to measure coolant temps above 72* in the reservoir and the outer skin of the intercooler itself using a laser thermometer. And that's on a 90+* day. So imagine how cool the IAT2 is. There is a drastic difference in power between having the unit "activated" and not. (It's not really "activated" since it's a passive cooler that uses your AC system to work.)

Is the stock pump sufficient for the triple pass?

It should be since it's not pumping fluid up any vertical length worth noting. You'd have to have either a very restrictive passageway or a gargantuan HE for the stock pump to not move the coolant fast enough.

On the units with the fans, they are wired to always turn on with the intercooler pump, right?

What happens when you are moving at high speed, say 80mph+? Could the fans become more of a restriction at high speeds than not having them on? Imagine a long top speed run, I don't think I'd want the fans running at anything over 80mph. Just wondering about that, read that somewhere.

I had this discussion with Van a couple years ago. The fans will free-spin at speed. As long as the air flowing through the fans doesn't push them past their max RPM, there shouldn't be any restriction worth noting. If the fans get to a point where they simply can't spin any faster, that's when you have a restriction. No idea how fast you'd have to be going, though.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Core Technology! You know, the thing the air passes through..

Core technology is everything with radiators and heat exchangers. Hell, I have a $1,900 radiator for these cars that very few have purchased but they know and understand the critical nature of the core for critical cooling.

We use Visteon and Denso cores in the Revan Racing heat exchangers and radiators.

Van

How does Afco's cores compare to C&R's Visteon and Denso cores?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
How does Afco's cores compare to C&R's Visteon and Denso cores?

Van has commented on the picture below in past discussions, the Comp. unit specifically, maybe it is relevant to the core discussion? maybe not?.............

012_zps3b03657f.jpg

R

Last edited:

99SSls1

Established Member
I am after real world results, so far.
Steeda 110 max at idle ambient 90 ( I would like to know the max after some wot runs. I am guessing it has fans)
Killer Chiller 72 max ambient 90 (we all know this works)
Stock 2011 HE one fan installed 120 idle (5 mins) max of 131 on back to back wot runs. ambient 83

Anybody else got numbers?

Last edited:

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Van has commented on the picture below in past discussions, the Comp. unit specifically, maybe it is relevant to the core discussion? maybe not?.............

012_zps3b03657f.jpg

R

Not being a smart ass, I honestly don't know. Is this an answer to my question? If so I'm not familiar with what Van commented on either or. In all honesty I don't know which one is which lol. I'm very close to buying a dual fan Afco but if I have compelling evidence that the Afco core is inferior to C&R's it may sway my decision.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Not being a smart ass, I honestly don't know. Is this an answer to my question? If so I'm not familiar with what Van commented on either or. In all honesty I don't know which one is which lol. I'm very close to buying a dual fan Afco but if I have compelling evidence that the Afco core is inferior to C&R's it may sway my decision.

Van has said in the past that the picture I added shows the efficiently of the core. Note the fan that can be seen through the core. He has said that this view that I captured in a picture shows that in addition to being able to remove the heat efficiently, the C&R core is also not very restrictive in airflow across the core. <<This is also an efficiency factor to consider, how efficient is the airflow through the core? Van would have to comment further.

I would guess it could be compared to the I/C below the S/C.............the 2007-2012 have a CFM airflow rate that is less than the 2013/14, and the KB BIGUN I/C that has recently been released has a better/less restrictive airflow across it's core. <<I guess this "could possibly" be a comparison?

Efficient heat removal and also minimal airflow restriction through the core is the goal.

R

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

Brian

Here is a better question. Where are the AFCO dealers and other manufacturers or distributors of said product coming into the thread and offering information as to what brand core they are using? What say you other brands? What core are you using?

irontexan

Established Member
While browsing around the 13/14 section for H/E info I found a couple interesting posts

---First from Jim from JDM in reference to upgrading the stock 13/14 H/E

I have spoke with AFCO and Fluidyne about this and they both commented that the stock unit does so well it wouldn't be worth it for them to make an upgrade unit. There isn't much room for improvement unless you want to add some fans, which benefit in traffic and at the track for quick cool downs.

---And the one from Van regarding results from the Super Competion Unit vs the stock 13/14 H/E

Two cars. Same Mods. Same day. Same hot dyno.

C&R Competition Heat Exchanger was 20 degrees cooler IAT2 on the dyno versus OEM.

When these cars first came out I was skeptical as to whether or not a dual fan unit was necessary. Heck, I ran a 2:28 at Sebring on the stock cooling system in the summer.

As customers began damaging cores due to rock chips etc. we gradually started putting them into service and I started getting phone calls about improved performance.

I recently had two Super Competition Heat Exchangers specialty coated black (for that OEM look) that also provide improved heat exchange. I have data with the OEM unit and after install I will perform similar back to back to back to back to back testing and I will publish data.

----

That gives me some pause in going with an Afco product being that they don't seem to have a counter product to the 13/14 stock H/E, yet Van has posted his product having notable improvement over the 13/14 stock unit.

Does anyone have any numbers or experience with the VMP triple pass?

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I think only one company actually tests their product and post results. If someone really wanted to know the difference then the search would provide you all the information you needed. Asking which one someone else is running isn't researching

TheGovernment

Established Member
While browsing around the 13/14 section for H/E info I found a couple interesting posts

---First from Jim from JDM in reference to upgrading the stock 13/14 H/E

I have spoke with AFCO and Fluidyne about this and they both commented that the stock unit does so well it wouldn't be worth it for them to make an upgrade unit. There isn't much room for improvement unless you want to add some fans, which benefit in traffic and at the track for quick cool downs.

---And the one from Van regarding results from the Super Competion Unit vs the stock 13/14 H/E

Two cars. Same Mods. Same day. Same hot dyno.

C&R Competition Heat Exchanger was 20 degrees cooler IAT2 on the dyno versus OEM.

When these cars first came out I was skeptical as to whether or not a dual fan unit was necessary. Heck, I ran a 2:28 at Sebring on the stock cooling system in the summer.

As customers began damaging cores due to rock chips etc. we gradually started putting them into service and I started getting phone calls about improved performance.

I recently had two Super Competition Heat Exchangers specialty coated black (for that OEM look) that also provide improved heat exchange. I have data with the OEM unit and after install I will perform similar back to back to back to back to back testing and I will publish data.

----

That gives me some pause in going with an Afco product being that they don't seem to have a counter product to the 13/14 stock H/E, yet Van has posted his product having notable improvement over the 13/14 stock unit.

Does anyone have any numbers or experience with the VMP triple pass?

The problem with all that is, it still isn't evidence of anything, just chat room talk. the Afco and the C&R are both popular based on going through all the forums I searched before I bought mine. Who's to say you couldn't plop an afco into a 2013 and not get close or the same 20 Degree difference if no ones tested it. Maybe Afco doesn;t feel 20 degrees is wirth going after, hell I dunno. With no data everything is just speculation. If the C&R unit is better than the AfCO, then thats awesome for C&R.

Although I do find it strange that there isn't 1 real comparison between the 2, at least that I could find.

Van@RevanRacing

The problem with all that is, it still isn't evidence of anything, just chat room talk. the Afco and the C&R are both popular based on going through all the forums I searched before I bought mine. Who's to say you couldn't plop an afco into a 2013 and not get close or the same 20 Degree difference if no ones tested it. Maybe Afco doesn;t feel 20 degrees is wirth going after, hell I dunno. With no data everything is just speculation. If the C&R unit is better than the AfCO, then thats awesome for C&R.

Although I do find it strange that there isn't 1 real comparison between the 2, at least that I could find.

Customer Derek V. had a C&R Competition Heat Exchanger on his 2013 GT500 with a Kenne Bell 3.6 Supercharger and running the Texas Mile. At the mile a fan failed (first and only time I have ever seen a SPAL Fan fail) the blade broke off and punctured the core. We thought Derek was done for the event however he was able to secure an AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger to get through the event. After the event he reported back to me that he constantly monitors IAT2. He observed before and after the Texas Mile his IAT2 temperatures were noticeably higher with the AFCO unit.

I will ask him to come into the thread and provide his observations.

Last edited:

Derek5774

Established Member
Customer Derek V. had a C&R Competition Heat Exchanger on his 2013 GT500 with a Kenne Bell 3.6 Supercharger and running the Texas Mile. At the mile a fan failed (first and only time I have ever seen a SPAL Fan fail) the blade broke off and punctured the core. We thought Derek was done for the event however he was able to secure an AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger to get through the event. After the event he reported back to me that he constantly monitors IAT2. He observed before and after the Texas Mile his IAT2 temperatures were noticeably higher with the AFCO unit.

I will ask him to come into the thread and provide his observations.

I was using the C&R super heat exchanger, I have a temp sensor that monitor it's coolant temps and I monitor IAT2. The C&R was way more efficient than stock.
When I put the AFCO on it could not keep up at all. IAT2 would rise and my car pulled timing. I ran the AFCO at the last event also and my car ran through the half with 200 mph capable speeds but it would fall on its face after the half and run 189
The IAT2 was up to 170 and the AFCO took a while to bring coolant temps back down

The C&R would bring coolant temps down a lot faster and provided lower IAT's

The AFCO proved to be less efficient than stock when the air got over 75 degrees.
With 90 degree air and the AFCO
My car stayed heat soaked at the track
And I had only 14 degrees of timing

But if you still believe in the AFCO
I would gladly sell you mine
It has a brand new wiring kit that I never used.

The C&R had brought down temps faster and kept temps lower at WOT

I did a lot of testing just recently with the AFCO to solve my heat soak issues. I found that the heat exchanger was part of the problem.

Have a lot more but have to cut it short
I'm working.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
That's some damaging evidence, I wonder if the mile is just too much for the Afco. I know there are plenty of satisfied Afco users, I guess if there were more reports of guys switching, it probably won't happen because once you have a dual fan HE on its unlikely your going to take it off unless there's a failure like the C&R's fan, there would be more convulsive evidence. Why doesn't either C&R or Afco if they're brave enough do a side by side comparison? This in my eyes would be conclusive evidence but what Derek wrote definitely has me thinking twice. Some great info here.

Just thought of this, you also have to take in to consideration that Derek was using the competition C&R which I'm assuming will work better than the standard C&R so comparing it to a lesser model with a 500 dollar price difference isn't a fair comparison.

Last edited:

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Just thought of this, you also have to take in to consideration that Derek was using the competition C&R which I'm assuming will work better than the standard C&R so comparing it to a lesser model with a 500 dollar price difference isn't a fair comparison.

That was the first thing that came to my mind. Although some good info from Derek, the real question is how does the VMP triple compare to C&R competition.

I'm very interested in this as I'm buying one in a couple of days.
If anyone have similar experience with the triple please share.

Van@RevanRacing

I personally have switched out five AFCO Dual Fan versus the original C&R Dual Fan Heat Exchanger. IAT2's are lower with the C&R which uses a Visteon Core. When are people going to start asking what core and where it's from?

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
So I did a little more generic testing with the Steeda today.

Ambient 75F
Max IAT2 at idle in open air= 110F
Max IAT2 at idle w/little to no external air flow= 113F
Max IAT2 cruising at 25mph= 100F
IAT2 range when slowing and stopping= 102F-109F (IAT2 falls to 100F instantly when speed resumes.)

Don't quote me but I think the Steeda is a CSF core, I swore I saw their stamp or sticker on my core somewhere. I would like to see numbers for the Shelby/C&R super competition, that H/E looks like the best option if cost is no concern.

Last edited:

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
So, it all comes down to the core?
Well, after I read the info in here I'm confused. Which one should I get, VMP triple or C&R competition?
I need the best one.

Users who are viewing this thread