Best Mods to start out on a stock 03 cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.

8oh4terminator

Novice Termonator *****
Established Member
Hey guys im new here to SVTP but have been checking out the site for quite a while but I finally bought my first cobra its an 03 convertible with 70K miles 100% stock and was just wondering what some the best bang for the buck mods would be within reason. Im kind of on a budget and would like to spend no more than $1500-2000 starting out...any advice would be greatly appreciated

7.62x51

Established Member
Id say go with a Cold Air Intake, Pulley, Cat-Back and tune (if funds allow), should give you some decent numbers

8oh4terminator

Novice Termonator *****
Established Member
What he said, but if you go with a pulley you 100% need a tune.

any recommendations on pulley size, like i said its got 70K on it so I dont want anything thats gonna push it too hard and also Im going to buy the LM1 catback exhaust and JLT intake right off the bat but I dont really know so much about superchargers or tuning and honestly dont really trust any of the shops around here unless someone has a recommendation, I live just outside Richmond VA :??: ...sorry for all the questions but im a noob to the fullest and just want to get everything right the first time

agmarsha

Established Member
I'm new to this too!

I just bought an '03 with 7,000 miles on it! I'd like to have some recommendations on a pulley size too!

Good luck with your search!

Mystic03

Established Member
any recommendations on pulley size, like i said its got 70K on it so I dont want anything thats gonna push it too hard and also Im going to buy the LM1 catback exhaust and JLT intake right off the bat but I dont really know so much about superchargers or tuning and honestly dont really trust any of the shops around here unless someone has a recommendation, I live just outside Richmond VA :??: ...sorry for all the questions but im a noob to the fullest and just want to get everything right the first time

2.8 imo not to big nor too small makes great numbers so you dont chance pegging the maf

mach1033

Established Member
If you dont trust any of the shops in your area you can go for a remote tune. VMP tuning has a great rep. Amazon has a great rep as well. There both vendors on here. If you go through the search function you will read a bunch of opinions on who some of these members use.

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
i have to agree on the performance side of mods, id say the new JLT intake, with a 2.8 pulley, and tune.. as far as exhaust, SLP suck! IMO.. too damn raspy!! you can pick up a better exhaust for the money.. id would say an off road X, and either magnaflow, mac, or bassani catback.. they will all sound amazing!! if you can swing the money, id say a posi race port also...

8oh4terminator

Novice Termonator *****
Established Member
If you dont trust any of the shops in your area you can go for a remote tune. VMP tuning has a great rep. Amazon has a great rep as well. There both vendors on here. If you go through the search function you will read a bunch of opinions on who some of these members use.

Thanks alot I didnt know that was on here great reference :banana:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
i have to agree on the performance side of mods, id say the new JLT intake, with a 2.8 pulley, and tune.. as far as exhaust, SLP suck! IMO.. too damn raspy!! you can pick up a better exhaust for the money.. id would say an off road X, and either magnaflow, mac, or bassani catback.. they will all sound amazing!! if you can swing the money, id say a posi race port also...

I beg to differ on the SLP I love mine....

you have a vert right? This....

Subframe connectors
BF IRS Brace
catback (ur choice of brand)
hi flow x pipe?

Then be patient and find a ported Eaton and pulley from a seller. Get that, JLT CAI, and a MAF install and tune, possibly a BAP
If you wanna forgo the ported blower then get a 2.80 as suggested and a JLT CAI. Intall and tune it

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Cold air and exhaust.

AND THAT'S IT!

I recommend driving it for a minimum of 2 months before you mod anything else.

FIRST< verify the OE I/C pump is 100% operational and that the cooling fan is not also ready to tank.

Make sure the coolant has been changed at least once, preferably twice.

These are not new cars any more and a lot of these cars are a little long in the tooth.

Save some money to fix stuff that might break or wear out.

Plus by driving it close to stock for a while gives you a better chance to learn the little quirks of the car while it is still relatively sane(safe). You will appreciate the power insanity much more if you drive it (semi)stock awhile longer.

READ THESE LINKS AND FAQs!!! http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-you-post-read-terminator-faqs-hot-links.html

TRBO VNM

Hey guys im new here to SVTP but have been checking out the site for quite a while but I finally bought my first cobra its an 03 convertible with 70K miles 100% stock and was just wondering what some the best bang for the buck mods would be within reason. Im kind of on a budget and would like to spend no more than $1500-2000 starting out...any advice would be greatly appreciated

IMO, those statements contradict eachother. If you have been checking it out for quite a while, you would have your info already.

Cold air and exhaust.

AND THAT'S IT!

FIRST< verify the OE I/C pump is 100% operational and that the cooling fan is not also ready to tank.

These are not new cars any more and a lot of these cars are a little long in the tooth.

Plus by driving it close to stock for a while gives you a better chance to learn the little quirks of the car while it is still relatively sane(safe). You will appreciate the power insanity much more if you drive it (semi)stock awhile longer.

READ THESE LINKS AND FAQs!!! http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-you-post-read-terminator-faqs-hot-links.html

Some of the best damn advice and it was free. Also, don't put DR's on it and drive it in the rain or you will be looking for another car very quickly.

va boy

Established Member
Also might want to check out the "Terminator parts" for sale over in the Market, you can save a lot of money!
Good luck man.

fangs99

Established Member
I say a JLT, off road mid pipe and CB of your choice, sub frames, a shifter, Hawh HPS break pads and slotted rotors, and a good set of tires.

This will make for a great and fun all around car.

1hot281

Established Member
Don't forget a decent short shifter, subframe connectors, and some quality tires... no point in adding a bunch of power if you can't put it to the ground

hotcobra03

Established Member
ive only did exhaust,,handheld tune....car is fast enough as it is,,,and i got a tight wallet

as you read you will see all the problems that come from changing parts,,than the cost of the parts...

as jimmy as said,,drive car for awhile,,go over the car good

see sad day for cobra...

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Cold air and exhaust.

AND THAT'S IT!

I'll add subframe connectors and an IRS Brace or a new diff cover to your simple list.:thumbsup:

Guys we're selling a lot of this stuff now and we'd love to earn your business.:beer: If you would like a quote on anything you can call us at 502-489-0136 or shoot us a pm and we'll respond back.:beer:

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
Cold air and exhaust.

AND THAT'S IT!

I'll add subframe connectors and an IRS Brace or a new diff cover to your simple list.:thumbsup:

Guys we're selling a lot of this stuff now and we'd love to earn your business.:beer: If you would like a quote on anything you can call us at 502-489-0136 or shoot us a pm and we'll respond back.:beer:

^^ This.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread