Best Posi for the GT500 for street/strip & why?

Pure_Evil_GT500

LS7 BUD
Established Member
Just like the title says... It's time to buy a aftermarket posi for my GT500... My car has gone in to have the factory one replaced under warranty but over the winter I want to replace it... I wanna hear personal experience which each type of posi and what you think of it... Thanks

Last edited:

bossnova3

Established Member
I'm on the same boat, according to my extent research I've come to the conclusion that the best all around Posi for our heavy cars is the Detroit true trac... I know there's people with different experiences but, this is what I've gathered. Any other info or pro advice is highly welcome.....

Genius

Established Member
Well I broke a Truetrac with about 400 crank hp
Stock tires, 2008 Bullitt.
Better check to make sure it will be coverd with your hp!

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I have an 84 F150 with a big block. Built it years ago and wanted positive traction. For 35 bukck I brought a mini spool from summitt. Cheapest for positive traction and worst thing to have on the street. Tight turns are a no go unless you just slide the rear around. Wet weather and your defintely drifting around corners lol. It's the best for drag racing but not for the street. You want something that will give for the corners and tight turns

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
For a street/strip car my choice was a Trutrac - 800whp and so far no issues.

the Wavetrac seems to be a great unit, a friend put on in recently and is happy, however its 2x the cost of the Trutrac.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Trutrac 03 cobra here, no issues yet, 4,000 miles. They handle incredibly well, really makes the car seem more willing to transition when in a set of turns and greatly improves the feel of control. If you drag race though you will blow it up with about 450hp and 1.4-1.5 60fts. Great handling differential but vulnerable to drag racing/huge long burnouts. The seem to take rolling burnouts well though or atleast mine has.

If you drag race it a lot, you might have to go with a Detroit locker and deal with the clicking

Kostas

Established Member
I have the wavetrack for over a year and a half now. I race at the track with slicks, i beat the hell out of it on the streets, drove in the rain with it, and have taken 1000 mile trips, with NO issues. Its pricey but it works, has life time warranty, and now they make it for the 8.8 rear.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I have the wavetrack for over a year and a half now. I race at the track with slicks, i beat the hell out of it on the streets, drove in the rain with it, and have taken 1000 mile trips, with NO issues. Its pricey but it works, has life time warranty, and now they make it for the 8.8 rear.

Kostas thats impressive. I'm going to look into one. A lifetime warranty would be great. I like my trutrac but I'm scared to launch with it. On slicks how were your 60fts? Also do you know the rough weight of your gt500?

Edit: sorry nevermind, I just checked their website and didn't see a listing for an IRS. Cheers on yours though, sounds like a great diff

Last edited:

69b302

Established Member
Tru trac in my car, with over 200 passes. I have many 1.6 and some 1.5 60s. I beleive the design was changed at some point to increase stength. The current Tru Tracs, for the 8.8, do not break at 450HP, as my car is around 900 crank HP. The wavetrac was not avialable when I went with the tru trac, but would consider it, if I ever break the Tru Trac. Truc Trac drives like stock, always spins both wheels, and can handle a beating.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
69b302, do you think I'll be fine launching with slicks on mine? I bought it in 2008. I've done a few 40mph burnouts to about 80 with it on freeway ramps and it didn't make any noises, do you know roughly about the time Rey stengthened the units?

69b302

Established Member
From what I recall early versions only had two internal gears, and the newer ones have three. My unit has three, and has yet to break. do you recall how many internal gears yours had? Not sure on how the IRS unit is different, so we may not be comparing apples to apples here.

Sinovac

Established Member
The Torsen T2 is an excellent road course/street differential but cannot handle the shock load of drag strip use. I busted mine in 6 months and after about 20 passes with 700rwhp and 1.6x 60' times. Like the Torsen units, the TrueTrac is also a helical gear differential, but it is apparently stronger than the Torsen unit. I just installed a TrueTrac in my car and I'm anxious to see how it holds up. I know it isn't the best choice for the strip but I didn't want to spend the money converting to a Wavetrac. The Wavetrac is also a helical gear differential but is billed as the best helical gear diff. However, it requires 33 spline axles (stock is 31 spine) and c-clip eliminators.

A Detroit Locker or spool are probably the best choices for the strip but they are a pain on the street.

Last edited:

bossnova3

Established Member
See what I mean, as far as drag racing and these heavy cars are concerned the truetrac is the overall winner, if you're going on the twisties then go with the t2r...

armycook1981

Established Member
i have what ever is in the factory 8.8 and im thinking mine is starting to go...
i will usally cut 1.6s and have done 1.4-1.5's with 460 to the wheels on mt et streets when doing a burn out my right wheel will be just about to smoke or at full smoke before the left one will start to hop and then spin.. ive heard thats normal for the stocker and ohh your diff's clutch packs are going?

Last edited:

Genius

Established Member
The Truetrac that I broke was the newer 3 pinion design.
I sent it back to where I bought it, then they sent it back to Eaton.
I was ask what it was in and how much HP.
I had my choice of a refund or a new unit...I took the refund.
I also had Trutrac's in one of my Jeeps, (frt & rear) the older 2 pinion design.
They worked real nice in it with 33in tires and alot of hard trailing with no issues!
I would not buy a Trutrac for a GT500 with the Wavetrac now available.
The extra cash for the Wavetrac is nothing compared to grenadeing a diff and gears plus labor and the chance of your warranty being denied.
A Detroit Soft Locker is not a bad choice IMO if ya dont mind a little bang here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread