Best Street Clutch

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
my McLeod rxt sucked b@ll$. it was destroyed in less then 3k miles an 20 track passes. you NEED to get adjustment PERFECT and i can't stress that enough or you will have a $1500 paper weight

blksnake

Established Member
Im going to help you out. its hard to get good advice, people dont like to feel like they made a bad choice and wasted money so they tell you that what ever part they are running it is the best. Dont buy a spec the pedal is heavy and its really noisey. In my opinion the worst on the market. I have a centerforce. I knew better than to buy this clutch but i took some bad advise and tried to save some money. The centerforce is a little heay and is way too grabby for a daily driver. although it is quiet. Spend the money and buy the mcloud twin disk. dont make the same mistake as me. Im going back to a mcleod twin disk.

monX

Established Member
im going to help you out. Its hard to get good advice, people dont like to feel like they made a bad choice and wasted money so they tell you that what ever part they are running it is the best. Dont buy a spec the pedal is heavy and its really noisey. In my opinion the worst on the market. I have a centerforce. I knew better than to buy this clutch but i took some bad advise and tried to save some money. The centerforce is a little heay and is way too grabby for a daily driver. Although it is quiet. Spend the money and buy the mcloud twin disk. Dont make the same mistake as me. Im going back to a mcleod twin disk.

+1

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
Im going to help you out. its hard to get good advice, people dont like to feel like they made a bad choice and wasted money so they tell you that what ever part they are running it is the best. Dont buy a spec the pedal is heavy and its really noisey. In my opinion the worst on the market. I have a centerforce. I knew better than to buy this clutch but i took some bad advise and tried to save some money. The centerforce is a little heay and is way too grabby for a daily driver. although it is quiet. Spend the money and buy the mcloud twin disk. dont make the same mistake as me. Im going back to a mcleod twin disk.

thats funny, because i just bought and installed a Spec 3+ clutch and its awesome, nothing like you decribed. Ive also owned a Centerforce Dual Friction so if thats the model you were describing as having a heavy pedal you were wrong again. Talk about bad advice..

Last edited:

Volatile

Destroyer of Alternators
Established Member
I'm in the process of installing a 26 spline Mcleod RST as we speak. I'm hoping it's as smooth as all of you guys are saying.

Jroc

Established Member
I'm in the process of installing a 26 spline Mcleod RST as we speak. I'm hoping it's as smooth as all of you guys are saying.

Make sure you install it right.(seriously follow the directs, and don't just think you know what you are doing) I hated mine at first, and it turned out that the problem with it was the pressure plate wasn't torqued down to the give spec's and the were tight unevenly from side to side which was only letting half of the clutch disengage. Got that fixed and I loved it. There's an extra disc, and friction plate to take up room under the pressure plate so you need to have it setup correctly as these not much room for error like there is with a SD clutch.

At the slightiest bite of trouble call McLeod and talk to Lee.(Lee is McLeods Mustang expert) Trust he WILL lead you straight to the problem and save you a lot of heartache. It amazed me at how he lead us straight to the problem over the phone when we spent months trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

Last edited:

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
I have a McLeod RST with 26 spline input shaft. I installed everything myself. I didn't use any aftermarket shims. I did use a adjustable pivot ball. I also reused my stock flywheel just got it resurfaced. So far I love the clutch have zero chatter. The clutch pedal feels is like a honda or a toyota real soft.

Last edited:

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
Hello everyone. I just wanted to give some info regarding the above post regard the RST. I recently had my shop install a Spec 3 and I personally hated it due to the chatter/shudder getting into 1st gear -chattered like hell in the trans area and sounded like wheel hop in the rear-, although I was told this is normal during break-in. It did get a lot better around 1000 miles -not completely gone though- but I jumped the gun around the 400 mile mark and ordered the McLeod RST/FRPP TOB/Lethal Sleeve/Clutch Fork/ and replaced the center plate in the Fidanza aluminum flywheel for a second time as I replaced it for the new Spec 3 as well. Anyway, the RST does have an incredibly light pedal feel -softer than my wife's Scion!- but it does still have a slight chatter/shudder getting into 1st, but it is a fraction of what the Spec's chatter was at the same point-in-time during break-in. Now, I'm only at about 300 miles into break-in with the RST so this may be premature as it may completely disappear very soon, but from what other posts I've read and what my tuner explained -they have installed dozens of McCleod twin disc clutches on many high performance cars- this too is normal and expected from even the McCleod twin disc, but should completely disappear with time. Just keep in mind the chatter/shudder from the very beginning was substantially less than what I experienced with the Spec 3, but it does still exist with the RST. Personally, I do not drag or abuse my car, and driveability is of utmost priority which is why I replaced the Spec with the RST, but to be honest, I was and still am somewhat disappointed that there has been even an ounce of shudder with this expensive, and arguably the best, clutch setup on the market. Other than getting into first, the clutch shifts, feels, and performs perfectly although as I said, I'm still in the break-in period. Maybe someone out there can explain to me why even the organic twin disc shudders when I thought this upgraded clutch would not have such an issue from the start. Can anyone confirm that even a 'softer' organic material twin clutch can/will chatter during break-in? Maybe because I have an aluminum vs. steel flywheel?? Anyway, I do enjoy the clutch and pedal effort but I simply hate the slight chatter from a start. This setup costs way too much to put up with this. I hope it goes away soon! Sorry for the long post.

Black Sex

Established Member
My last 3 clutches have been Centerforce Dual Friction. My last one I got for $312 shipped. Good holding power and great pedal feel.
I had a spec stage 1 in my 98 and I hated it. There was no slipping it. It was all or nothing. Maybe that had to do with me not really breaking it in.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
although I hated my mcleod i just bought another rxt because I loved it and hated it at the same time. Ive done tons of research and the installment and adjustments are 95% of the reason why they fail prematurely.

ans ScottsdaleSnake the chatter will go away, trust me. but I cannot explain the deal with the chatter and the material

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
although I hated my mcleod i just bought another rxt because I loved it and hated it at the same time. Ive done tons of research and the installment and adjustments are 95% of the reason why they fail prematurely.

ans ScottsdaleSnake the chatter will go away, trust me. but I cannot explain the deal with the chatter and the material

What exactly did you hate about it? Just the complexity of the install and adjusting?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
What exactly did you hate about it? Just the complexity of the install and adjusting?

I had a reputable shop install it and it only lasted less then a month and I did proper break in before I put it to the test.

Then when I removed the clutch because it was slipping like a motha, we called mcleod and they tried to blame me for not knowing how to drive but I've been driving vehicles with a clutch for 7 years, the shop who installed because they didn't know what they were doing but we followed directions to a t and they had installed twin discs before and millions of other clutches. Then mcleod said ship it back at my expense so they could look at the clutch and determine what was wrong. Then if I wanted I could pay to have it rebuilt and would be without a car for more then a month.

I just had a really bad taste in my mouth from how I was treated and I was one of the first people to install the RXT in my car so you would figure they would be all over me trying to make things right but I was basically told to pound sand and had to buy another clutch and waste $600 more on top of the $1600 I was already out between shipping and installation.

Users who are viewing this thread