Best way to paint cobra brakes

moot09

Established Member
Whats the best to to paint the cobra calipers? I'd like to paint the caliper gloss black with blue letters.
Would you just paint the whole caliper and then go over the letters with a small brush?

HwyKng

Street Beast...
Established Member
Paint whole caliper. Get a razor blade and scrape off black paint on "Cobra" letters. Paint letters with small brush with Ford touch up paint.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Paint whole caliper. Get a razor blade and scrape off black paint on "Cobra" letters. Paint letters with small brush with Ford touch up paint.

thats exactly what i did...

IMG_0600.jpg

moonltgold

Ditto. Or what I did -- put vasoline on a Q-tip and very carefully "greased" the letters, then painted the whole thing. After an hour, letting the paint dry good, I just wiped the letters -- the paint doesn't stick to them.

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
i painted my calipers with red caliper paint a foam brush.....i then painted the cobra letters with a black paint pen.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Where can you buy caliper paint to apply with Foam Brush?
The brush on G2 kit or duplicolor kit is crazy expensive, can you just spray the aerosol in a cup?

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
Sounds good. Like the black with yellow. Been wanting to do this for a while now. Good luck! Post pics when done please....

03_termi

Established Member
Kinda an old thread but I did mine a couple months back. I took the calipers off and had a friend sandblast them cuz the brake dust was not coming off with red scotch bright pads and then used some 1000 grit sand paper to sand the tops of the cobra letters smooth. Here is a pic after they were sandblasted and sanded
ae6e37f0.jpg

Used black gloss caliper paint. Applied 2 or 3 coats and a min in-between each coat. I let it dry over nite then used a razorblade to cut off the paint on the cobra letters and used a scotch bright pad to shine up the letters. Here are some finished pics.
cb157219.jpg

5009306a.jpg

Last edited:

346CamaroSS

Established Member
Clean the BAJESUS out of them with brake cleaner. Scrub them with a brush/wire brush. Repeat about 10 times. Then paint them with a G2 brake caliper painting kit. Use a razor blade to scrape off the paint over the "COBRA" on the caliper once the paint is dry.

Satyr

Established Member
I would recommend taking them off, too. I have done them in both fashions and definitely think it's easier with them off. Result is usually better, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread