Bicycle Ticket

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
I was riding home from a doctor's appointment the other day, about 2 miles from my house, when I crossed the street in the crosswalk and a motorcycle cop pulled me over. He asked if I knew why he was stopping me, and ofcourse I had no idea. He stated I was riding my bicycle on the wrong side of the street (against traffic). I almost thought he was joking because after crossing the street I was on the sidewalk (no bike lane, so I did not want to be in the street) but apparentally even on the sidewalk I was on the wrong side of the street.
I was blown away that he was actually giving me a traffic citation for this and then to top it off he looked at my bike and gave me another citation for not having brakes on my bike. I could not believe it. I was not riding like an idiot in and out of cars or anything. Wasn't bothering anyone either. Just minding my own business.
I use my bike a lot to save gas (poor college student) but now I don't want to ride anywhere because this cop is always out on the main street I use to travel to and from my house. This street also has tons of people riding bicycles on it, so I am not sure what I did to stand out apart from the crowd (other than being on the wrong side of the road, I guess?)
I plan on protesting it in court because I am barely scrapping by (working PT and school FT) and cannot afford to throw away $100 or whatever for a ticket on my bicycle.

Questions: Does anyone have any experience with this? I read that it may end up on your driving record, is this true? Again I drive for a job and cannot have anything on my record.

Thanks

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
So you were wrong, admittedly, and you're "protesting" it in court because you can't afford the fines? Interested to see how that works out for ya.

Most states do not apply "points" to your license for bicycle related offenses. Check with the court during your "protest"

And riding your bicycle against traffic, on the sidewalk and without brakes...I would consider a citation as well.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Your Opinion vs State Law = Fail.
Bicycles have to abide by the same Transportation Code just like a motor vehicle.
Protest or Contest the citation?
What is there to contest when you look in the law books and see you violated the law? Just because everyone else is breaking the law does this make it right? Hey, I got a ticket and he didn't defense is not going to cut it.
Play by the rules and go about your merry way, if not get your wallet ready.

txyaloo

Established Member
Good for him. The bicycle riders around most college campuses I've been to seem to think they own the road and do not have to follow the rules of the road. You were riding like an idiot. Riding on a sidewalk is illegal. Sidewalks are for pedestrians, not vehicles.

Here's some others for you... Yes, you have to stop at stop signs, and yes, you have to signal when you're turning.

Stay off the sidewalks, follow the rules of the road that you would while driving a car, and you'll be fine.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
If there is no bike lane is riding on the sidewalk illegal?
I did not get a ticket for being on the sidewalk, it was a ticket for being on the wrong side of the street.
Also, I disagree that riding on the sidewalk is riding like an idiot. Cars have zero respect for bicyclist. Riding without a barrier (curb) is asking to be hit. Here is a recent story of a drunk driver killing a bicyclist (local college student) and injuring several other bicyclists. All who were in the bicycle lane going with traffic. This happens all the time. So forgive me if I'm an idiot who does not want to get run over.

Suspected drunk driver kills cyclist, injures 5 in Ventura | abc7.com

And I will 'contest' the ticket, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
might want to familarize yourself with this page before you go to court:

Most Common Equipment Violations

I did not get a ticket for being on the sidewalk, it was a ticket for being on the wrong side of the street.
Also, I disagree that riding on the sidewalk is riding like an idiot. Cars have zero respect for bicyclist. Riding without a barrier (curb) is asking to be hit. Here is a recent story of a drunk driver killing a bicyclist (local college student) and injuring several other bicyclists. All who were in the bicycle lane going with traffic. This happens all the time. So forgive me if I'm an idiot who does not want to get run over.

Suspected drunk driver kills cyclist, injures 5 in Ventura | abc7.com

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member

Yes, but sidewalk tickets are usually based on local ordinances here in CA.

Iceman II was correct for CA as well, a bicycle on a highway is under the same rules as a motor vehicle. If you were riding in conflict with the vehicle code then you earned it. What were you cited for?

Now you know the plight of motorcyclists, only if you decide to use a bicycle as your method of transportation then you have to play by the rules and accept the risks involved.

BTW, here is an article of a bicyclist hitting and killing a pedestrian; as a juxtaposition to the article you posted to show bikes can be dangerous to others as well.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2012/02/randolph_ang_dionette_cherney.php

Good luck!

Last edited:

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
According to the website it states Some cities and counties prohibit riding bicycles on sidewalks. again I did not receive a ticket for being on the sidewalk.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
- azrael

In your article it states a bicyclist ran a red light and hit a woman in the crosswalk. Was the bicyclist on the wrong side of the road? If not I fail to see much relevance beyond an individual on a bike can do damage to a pedestrian. In my article it is specific to 1) bicyclist in the bike lane 2) going with the flow of traffic 3) hit by a car and killed.

I pointed those out because it was posted that I was an idiot because I choose 1) ride on a sidewalk and 2) against traffic

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Bike without brakes? There was a kid not that long ago in Winter park that was run over by a firetruck. He tried to pass it as it turned in and then couldn't stop.

Stupid Hipsters.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
According to the website it states Some cities and counties prohibit riding bicycles on sidewalks. again I did not receive a ticket for being on the sidewalk.
did you bother reading the STATE law I posted? at the very beginning it states that bicycles are to ride WITH traffic not against it and are subject to the same laws as motor vehicles.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
- azrael

In your article it states a bicyclist ran a red light and hit a woman in the crosswalk. Was the bicyclist on the wrong side of the road? If not I fail to see much relevance beyond an individual on a bike can do damage to a pedestrian. In my article it is specific to 1) bicyclist in the bike lane 2) going with the flow of traffic 3) hit by a car and killed.

I pointed those out because it was posted that I was an idiot because I choose 1) ride on a sidewalk and 2) against traffic

Like I said I posted as a juxtaposition to article you posted showing that bicyclists can be a danger to others as well. I said that when I posted it. It had just as much relevance as the article you posted about bicyclists hit and killed by DUI drivers.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member

Holy cow, you asked if it was illegal to ride on the sidewalk and I gave you an answer, based on local ordinance.

You have your answers, and it is clear you don't like them. Take it to court, you may find a sympathetic judge; otherwise pay the fines.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Oh look, another Donut Shop thread where the OP just isn't getting the answers he wants from the people that enforce the laws. So he'll just argue with them about something he admittedly knows nothing about.

Great thread OP. -2/10 :bored:

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
did you bother reading the STATE law I posted? at the very beginning it states that bicycles are to ride WITH traffic not against it and are subject to the same laws as motor vehicles.

I wasn't asking about riding with or against traffic. I was asking about being on the sidewalk, with the flow of traffic and wether or not it was illegal. And according to the laws it says some "cities and county ordinances" prohibit riding on the sidewalk. Again I did not get a ticket for riding on the sidewalk.

What kind of moron would ride a bike without brakes?

I ride BMX and my bike is designed for skatepark/street riding. I only use it to commute here and there. I am not riding across country.

Like I said I posted as a juxtaposition to article you posted showing that bicyclists can be a danger to others as well. I said that when I posted it. It had just as much relevance as the article you posted about bicyclists hit and killed by DUI drivers.

I never argued that bicyclist cannot be dangerous. Riding on the sidewalk was for my safety. I was arguing that it is more safe to be on the sidewalk than in the street. I guarentee you that more bicyclist are killed in the bike lane by cars than bicyclist riding on the sidewalk kill pedestrians. So what is safer and makes more sense?

Holy cow, you asked if it was illegal to ride on the sidewalk and I gave you an answer, based on local ordinance.

You have your answers, and it is clear you don't like them. Take it to court, you may find a sympathetic judge; otherwise pay the fines.

My response wasn't for you it was towards RDJ's website.

Oh look, another Donut Shop thread where the OP just isn't getting the answers he wants from the people that enforce the laws. So he'll just argue with them about something he admittedly knows nothing about.

Great thread OP. -2/10 :bored:

Interesting. My questions were "does anyone have any experience with giving out bike tickets for my infractions?" "does this end up on your driving record?"
and "is riding a bike on the sidewalk illegal?"

Most of the responses were "you're an idiot" "you broke the law" "you're dangerous" etc... What exactly have I argued with? Other than I do not understand why a bike must ride in the street instead of on a sidewalk. Since I obviously know nothing of this, please explain to me why bicyclist are required to stay in the street. Why is it not safer to be on the sidewalk? Can you honestly say bicyclist have killed/injured more pedestrians on the sidewalk than cars have killed/injured bikes in the bike lane? I am intersted in seeing the arguement for that. Again, I am not asking about against the flow of traffic on the sidewalk, just simply being on the sidewalk.
Thanks

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
In CA you can't ride your bike on the sidewalks (they are for pedestrians), you must have brakes to operate the bike on public streets and I have written hundreds of bike tickets, and arrested quite a few bike riders for DUI over the years. Most bike citations do not hit your driving history, although a DUI will.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I wasn't asking about riding with or against traffic. I was asking about being on the sidewalk, with the flow of traffic and wether or not it was illegal. And according to the laws it says some "cities and county ordinances" prohibit riding on the sidewalk. Again I did not get a ticket for riding on the sidewalk.
you are talking about going to court and "protesting" your ticket. you were given a ticket for being on the wrong side of the road. that makes what I posted 100% relevant. you don't have a case. go in plead guilty, poor and stupid because you are unfamiliar with the bicycle laws in your community and cannot afford the ticket. MAYBE he will take pity on you but take your checkbook just in case.
I never argued that bicyclist cannot be dangerous. Riding on the sidewalk was for my safety. I was arguing that it is more safe to be on the sidewalk than in the street. I guarentee you that more bicyclist are killed in the bike lane by cars than bicyclist riding on the sidewalk kill pedestrians. So what is safer and makes more sense?
make this argument in your state legislatures office not the judge. he rules on the LAW not on what YOU think makes moresense.
My response wasn't for you it was towards RDJ's website.
and again that website is what the STATE LAW is. you need to be aware of it and be familiar with it if you plan to "protest" your ticket in court. you are planning to go in there and argue something you have no argument for. you think we are being hard on you? wait till you go into the judge and watch the entire court laugh at you for what you are arguing.

since you were not ticketed for being on the sidewalk, when it comes to your court case it is a moot point. the fact that officers here may or may not write these tickets is irrelevant because the judge will not care about what the LEOs on SVTP may or may not do during their jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread