Bicycle Ticket

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Interesting. My questions were "does anyone have any experience with giving out bike tickets for my infractions?" "does this end up on your driving record?"
and "is riding a bike on the sidewalk illegal?"

Most of the responses were "you're an idiot" "you broke the law" "you're dangerous" etc... What exactly have I argued with? Other than I do not understand why a bike must ride in the street instead of on a sidewalk. Since I obviously know nothing of this, please explain to me why bicyclist are required to stay in the street. Why is it not safer to be on the sidewalk? Can you honestly say bicyclist have killed/injured more pedestrians on the sidewalk than cars have killed/injured bikes in the bike lane? I am intersted in seeing the arguement for that. Again, I am not asking about against the flow of traffic on the sidewalk, just simply being on the sidewalk.
Thanks

What's interesting is that your original post was filed with you whining about things that aren't relevant to your question(s). "i'm a poor college student" "I wasn't bothering anybody" "I was minding my own business"

None of those things you posted are required to occur to meet the elements of the laws broken. You can still be a poor college student and commit traffic infractions on a bicycle.

When people commit traffic infractions the Police are not offended. We don't take it personally. It doesn't bother me when you commit traffic infractions, but I can still write a ticket for it. Get it?

You say you aren't sure what you did to stand out in the crowd but then state in the very next sentence what you were doing to stand out.

If you were wishing to have a debate about bicycle safety and the reasons laws are made you might want to direct yourself to another forum. The police don't write the laws, nor do we do the studies on accidents involving bicyclists. So I'm sure if you do some searching I believe you will find people that have done studies and research, unlike yourself, on the matter you are wishing to argue.

Good luck. I know you are well versed in bicycle safety. :bored:

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
In CA you can't ride your bike on the sidewalks (they are for pedestrians), you must have brakes to operate the bike on public streets and I have written hundreds of bike tickets, and arrested quite a few bike riders for DUI over the years. Most bike citations do not hit your driving history, although a DUI will.

You have written tickets for bicyclist on the sidewalks? Was that the sole reason you contacted them or was there something else?

you are talking about going to court and "protesting" your ticket. you were given a ticket for being on the wrong side of the road. that makes what I posted 100% relevant. you don't have a case. go in plead guilty, poor and stupid because you are unfamiliar with the bicycle laws in your community and cannot afford the ticket. MAYBE he will take pity on you but take your checkbook just in case.

For the fifth time I was asking solely about riding on the sidewalk. Not my situation of being on the wrong side of the street and being on the sidewalk. But thanks for the personal attacks. I was not planning on 'contesting' my ticket for being on the sidewalk, since I was not given a ticket for being on the sidewalk.

make this argument in your state legislatures office not the judge. he rules on the LAW not on what YOU think makes moresense.

Was not planning on making a case on this either. Just simply asking why it is this way, because I am just a stupid kid that knowns nothing about the law.

and again that website is what the STATE LAW is. you need to be aware of it and be familiar with it if you plan to "protest" your ticket in court. you are planning to go in there and argue something you have no argument for. you think we are being hard on you? wait till you go into the judge and watch the entire court laugh at you for what you are arguing.

Doubtful an entire court will laugh at me, but thanks for the concern. I plan on doing more research on my situation, I have not thought about how to 'contest' my infraction.

since you were not ticketed for being on the sidewalk, when it comes to your court case it is a moot point. the fact that officers here may or may not write these tickets is irrelevant because the judge will not care about what the LEOs on SVTP may or may not do during their jobs.

I was simply asking because I have no experience with this. I thought it was a little strange that something like this was a straight ticketable offense and found it odd. Not sure if there is an underlying reason I got stopped. People drive 66mph on the freeway everyday, if I got a ticket for 66mph in a 65mph I would find that a little odd as well. I am not arguing that it is not against the law, but I found it out of the ordinary that it went straight to a ticket and was asking if officers here usually give out tickets for something like this?

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
What's interesting is that your original post was filed with you whining about things that aren't relevant to your question(s). "i'm a poor college student" "I wasn't bothering anybody" "I was minding my own business"

None of those things you posted are required to occur to meet the elements of the laws broken. You can still be a poor college student and commit traffic infractions on a bicycle.

You are correct. It does not matter to the law who broke it, just that I did something against the law and was given a ticket for it. But wait, if I was an officer and showed him my badge would that have made a difference? I bet you it would. I put I am a college student and work because that is different than a known gangbanger riding down the street looking for trouble. I attend a well known Christian University, volunteer at two different organizations, and work as a paramedic. My ambulance license shows up when they run my information and I was wearing one of my school shirts. So I do not think I stand out as someone looking for trouble. Tickets are given all the time for biasis reasons. If I gave the officer attitude I could certainly see the reason I was given a ticket, however, other than my 'no sir' & 'yes sir' responses I do not think this was the reason.

You say you aren't sure what you did to stand out in the crowd but then state in the very next sentence what you were doing to stand out.

I was not aware that riding a bicycle on the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street stood out so much from the crowd?

If you were wishing to have a debate about bicycle safety and the reasons laws are made you might want to direct yourself to another forum. The police don't write the laws, nor do we do the studies on accidents involving bicyclists. So I'm sure if you do some searching I believe you will find people that have done studies and research, unlike yourself, on the matter you are wishing to argue.

Good luck. I know you are well versed in bicycle safety. :bored:

Than I suppose it would be unfair for those accusing me of acting stupid and an being an idiot. Since noone can tell me I was not acting unsafe for being on the sidewalk, only simply I was not following the law because it was the sidewalk on the wrong side of the street. If someone wants to post statistics on riding a bicycle being on the sidewalk as unsafe as opposed to the road I will gladly admit that it was 'idiotic' and 'stupid'

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
You are correct. It does not matter to the law who broke it, just that I did something against the law and was given a ticket for it. But wait, if I was an officer and showed him my badge would that have made a difference? I bet you it would. I put I am a college student and work because that is different than a known gangbanger riding down the street looking for trouble. I attend a well known Christian University, volunteer at two different organizations, and work as a paramedic. My ambulance license shows up when they run my information and I was wearing one of my school shirts. So I do not think I stand out as someone looking for trouble. Tickets are given all the time for biasis reasons. If I gave the officer attitude I could certainly see the reason I was given a ticket, however, other than my 'no sir' & 'yes sir' responses I do not think this was the reason.

I was not aware that riding a bicycle on the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street stood out so much from the crowd?

Than I suppose it would be unfair for those accusing me of acting stupid and an being an idiot. Since noone can tell me I was not acting unsafe for being on the sidewalk, only simply I was not following the law because it was the sidewalk on the wrong side of the street. If someone wants to post statistics on riding a bicycle being on the sidewalk as unsafe as opposed to the road I will gladly admit that it was 'idiotic' and 'stupid'

You clearly do not understand. Get over it dude, you're taking it personally. It's not. You don't have to be a gang banger to get a ticket.

My wife was involved in a traffic accident in which she was given a ticket a few weeks ago. The vehicle was registered in my name, had a Fraternal Order of Police License plate, and had ME in the passenger seat! Doesn't matter, she was at fault, she got the ticket. Didn't matter who I was. So you can take that argument and...I think you can fill in the rest. :bored:

You confirmed everyone's suspicions on here.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
You clearly do not understand. Get over it dude, you're taking it personally. It's not. You don't have to be a gang banger to get a ticket.

My wife was involved in a traffic accident in which she was given a ticket a few weeks ago. The vehicle was registered in my name, had a Fraternal Order of Police License plate, and had ME in the passenger seat! Doesn't matter, she was at fault, she got the ticket. Didn't matter who I was. So you can take that argument and...I think you can fill in the rest. :bored:

You confirmed everyone's suspicions on here.

So in your statement cops have no personal opinions on such matters? Simply if someone breaks the law they get a ticket regardless of any circumstance? Are you as a LEO not taught discretion? Do you have to be a gangbanger to receive a ticket? Of course not. I am trying to figure out if it is reasonable that LEOs give tickets for such offenses? As I said earlier if I got a ticket for going 66mph on the freeway I would find that odd. Do most cops give tickets for that? Doubtful. Do some? Sure. Just wondering if there is an underlying reason I got stopped.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
So in your statement cops have no personal opinions on such matters?
of course they have personal opinions you have been given several in this thread and argued with them.
Simply if someone breaks the law they get a ticket regardless of any circumstance?
cops have some disgression at to whether or not they write a ticket or give a warning and it will depend on the circumstance
Are you as a LEO not taught discretion?
of course they are and they are taught how to use it
I am trying to figure out if it is reasonable that LEOs give tickets for such offenses?
asked and answered multiple times. LEOs can and do give tickets for such offenses so yes it is reasonable. why are you continuing to harp on this stupid question
As I said earlier if I got a ticket for going 66mph on the freeway I would find that odd. Do most cops give tickets for that? Doubtful. Do some? Sure. Just wondering if there is an underlying reason I got stopped.
the underlying reason you got stopped is because you were breaking the rules. if you want any more "underlying reason" you need to go to court and ask the cop. anything you get here is going to be speculation and obviously not meet your expectations so you will continue to argue invalid and irrelevant points about questions that have already been asked and answered.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
asked and answered multiple times. LEOs can and do give tickets for such offenses so yes it is reasonable. why are you continuing to harp on this stupid question

Fair enough. I asked multiple times because I have no experience with it. I have riden bicycles over 20 years and have never once been stopped or told that riding on the sidewalk is illegal. That is why I asked, and since I have no experience with it, I decided to ask those who do give tickets for riding a bike on the wrong side of the street. I was not aware that it was such a common ticket.

the underlying reason you got stopped is because you were breaking the rules. if you want any more "underlying reason" you need to go to court and ask the cop. anything you get here is going to be speculation and obviously not meet your expectations so you will continue to argue invalid and irrelevant points about questions that have already been asked and answered.

Very unlikely I will get much out of the LEO at court. And it is possible that this cop saw me on the wrong side of the street and that was that. However, simply breaking the rules does not always constitue a field investigation. Cops pull people over everyday, and many times it's not just for breaking the rules. But whatever, got what I needed out of the thread.

Thanks, I will post a follow up after court.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
So in your statement cops have no personal opinions on such matters? Simply if someone breaks the law they get a ticket regardless of any circumstance? Are you as a LEO not taught discretion? Do you have to be a gangbanger to receive a ticket? Of course not. I am trying to figure out if it is reasonable that LEOs give tickets for such offenses? As I said earlier if I got a ticket for going 66mph on the freeway I would find that odd. Do most cops give tickets for that? Doubtful. Do some? Sure. Just wondering if there is an underlying reason I got stopped.

We don't use personal opinions in our decision making You seem to think discretion and personal opinion are the same thing. They are not.

It is absolutely reasonable for you to be cited. That Officer used discretion.

Was there an underlying reason you were stopped?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

You can ask the officer in court what the underlying reason for the stop was. It was likely related to riding on the wrong side of the road. So do you feel that just because someone cannot afford the fine they shouldnt get the ticket?

Also, since you cant afford the ticket how will you pay the medical bills of the person you hit because your bike doesnt have brakes?

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
Being unable to pay the fines are more of my motivation for contesting it in court. And I wouldn't be able to pay someone's bills if I had brakes or if I didn't.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Being unable to pay the fines are more of my motivation for contesting it in court. And I wouldn't be able to pay someone's bills if I had brakes or if I didn't.
dont contest it. you are guilty as charged. plead that way and ask the court for time or a reduced fine.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
dont contest it. you are guilty as charged. plead that way and ask the court for time or a reduced fine.

Might be a way to go. Thanks

A bike without brakes is NOT designed for street riding. Dig a little bit deeper next time.

LOL, do you ride? Go look at this bike catalog and tell me how many bikes do NOT have brakes, and how many are not even designed with brake mounts to put in brakes. There are several reasons BMX bikes are designed without brakes for street/park riding.

Bikes at Danscomp

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Might be a way to go. Thanks

LOL, do you ride? Go look at this bike catalog and tell me how many bikes do NOT have brakes, and how many are not even designed with brake mounts to put in brakes. There are several reasons BMX bikes are designed without brakes for street/park riding.

Bikes at Danscomp

A bike without brakes is not suitable for street riding according to the LAW! Who gives a shit what a catalog sells!! How on earth does a catalog trump the LAW??? :bash:

I've said it once before, I'll say it again. You just don't get it. Sadly I don't think you ever will.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
A bike without brakes is not suitable for street riding according to the LAW! Who gives a shit what a catalog sells!! How on earth does a catalog trump the LAW??? :bash:

I've said it once before, I'll say it again. You just don't get it. Sadly I don't think you ever will.

The street riding I was referring to is not the same as commuting on the street. And I never said having no brakes wasn't against the law. I was responding to Lt. Z06 comment as to 'what moron rides w/o brakes' and responded my bike is set up for street riding (rails, stairs, ledges). Not commuting. 2 different things. But thanks for chiming in.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
When and if you lose your case, there are a lot of times the court will assess a larger fine. I had court last week where a lady got on the stand and basically said a deer was chasing her. BS! Yea, i was trying very hard to keep a straight face and be professional!
She was afraid the deer was going to run into her truck so she kicked her speed. Instead of 200.00 it cost her 300.00.
Of course you can always sit it out in the clink. In Texas, it's 50.00 a day time served.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member

Bikes at Danscomp
There are only a few instances where a bicycle manufacturer can sell a bicycle without brakes. The vast majority of them (yes, even BMX bikes) have brakes.

Does your bike free-wheel?

Last edited:

five0three

big deal
Established Member
ive put alot of seat time into fixed gear bikes. if you know what you're doing, they stop fine. growing up in Portland Or, bikes ruled the road, at least in the down town area. hell, most of the cops were on them. didnt know laws were so stringent elsewhere...

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
The street riding I was referring to is not the same as commuting on the street. And I never said having no brakes wasn't against the law. I was responding to Lt. Z06 comment as to 'what moron rides w/o brakes' and responded my bike is set up for street riding (rails, stairs, ledges). Not commuting. 2 different things. But thanks for chiming in.

Were you riding your bike on the street? Yes you were. Nice try at spinning yet another post.

Might just be time to step away from this thread.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
ive put alot of seat time into fixed gear bikes. if you know what you're doing, they stop fine. growing up in Portland Or, bikes ruled the road, at least in the down town area. hell, most of the cops were on them. didnt know laws were so stringent elsewhere...

Cops ride fixed gear bikes in Portland?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread