Bicycle Ticket

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
When and if you lose your case, there are a lot of times the court will assess a larger fine. I had court last week where a lady got on the stand and basically said a deer was chasing her. BS! Yea, i was trying very hard to keep a straight face and be professional!
She was afraid the deer was going to run into her truck so she kicked her speed. Instead of 200.00 it cost her 300.00.
Of course you can always sit it out in the clink. In Texas, it's 50.00 a day time served.

Thanks for the heads up.

There are only a few instances where a bicycle manufacturer can sell a bicycle without brakes. The vast majority of them (yes, even BMX bikes) have brakes.

Does your bike free-wheel?

There are still ones you can buy without brakes. Never have I said this was legal.

Were you riding your bike on the street? Yes you were. Nice try at spinning yet another post.

Might just be time to step away from this thread.

Spin what? Go and read the conversion between Lt. Z06 and myself. Since you don't understand there is a difference between 'street' and 'road' when it comes to BMX bikes. I can get a 'road' bike to commute, travel, tour, etc. with. A 'street' bike is designed to grind rails, ledges, etc. Is my 'street' BMX legal? No because it does not have brakes. No where in my thread was I arguing the ticket for no brakes.
Was I riding my bike on the street as in the roads that people drive on? Yes. But it was designed as for riding skateparks and grinding rails, ledges, etc on the STREET. Which is why I built it without brakes and it is called a 'street' BMX bike.

Since this is my thread I do not have to go anywhere. Feel free to not respond anymore if you have a problem with my posts.
Thanks

Last edited:

4a7191a

Established Member
eh.... just gotta use the peddles like on a bmx.

i dont think thats against the law in texas not having brakes, and if it is im sure the officers in my area have better things to do.

Last edited:

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Sec.*551.104.**SAFETY EQUIPMENT. (a) A person may not operate a bicycle unless the bicycle is equipped with a brake capable of making a braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
(b)**A person may not operate a bicycle at nighttime unless the bicycle is equipped with:
(1)**a lamp on the front of the bicycle that emits a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet in front of the bicycle; and
(2)**on the rear of the bicycle:
(A)**a red reflector that is:
(i)**of a type approved by the department; and
(ii)**visible when directly in front of lawful upper beams of motor vehicle headlamps from all distances from 50 to 300 feet to the rear of the bicycle; or
(B)**a lamp that emits a red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of the bicycle.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
With the amount of drivel you post in here I am surprised you have not been placed on read only status. The only people that get the advice you are claiming are those that come in here bitching that they got a ticket that they deserved and wanting to avoid taking responsibility or it. Kinda like you do.

Removed by Mod.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Might be a way to go. Thanks

LOL, do you ride? Go look at this bike catalog and tell me how many bikes do NOT have brakes, and how many are not even designed with brake mounts to put in brakes. There are several reasons BMX bikes are designed without brakes for street/park riding.

Bikes at Danscomp

Being designed that way does not mean they comply with the law for road use. If they do not have brakes they clearly do not comply with the law in almost every state.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
Being designed that way does not mean they comply with the law for road use. If they do not have brakes they clearly do not comply with the law in almost every state.

As I have said in the last three of my posts. I was merely stating why I bike is designed w/o brakes. I have NEVER said it was LEGAL

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Spin what? Go and read the conversion between Lt. Z06 and myself. Since you don't understand there is a difference between 'street' and 'road' when it comes to BMX bikes. I can get a 'road' bike to commute, travel, tour, etc. with. A 'street' bike is designed to grind rails, ledges, etc. Is my 'street' BMX legal? No because it does not have brakes. No where in my thread was I arguing the ticket for no brakes.
Was I riding my bike on the street as in the roads that people drive on? Yes. But it was designed as for riding skateparks and grinding rails, ledges, etc on the STREET. Which is why I built it without brakes and it is called a 'street' BMX bike.

Since this is my thread I do not have to go anywhere. Feel free to not respond anymore if you have a problem with my posts.
Thanks

It's your thread and you'll cry if you want to right? :lol:

Street is street dude. You were riding your bike on the STREET! I'm sure you argued your special form of logic with the officer. One thing we consider when using discretion when issuing tickets is whether or not the violator will cease from committing similar violations. You clearly don't think you did anything wrong. Which may be a reason you were cited.

As I have said in the last three of my posts. I was merely stating why I bike is designed w/o brakes. I have NEVER said it was LEGAL

Then quit riding it on the STREET. :shrug:

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
Street is street dude. You were riding your bike on the STREET! I'm sure you argued your special form of logic with the officer. One thing we consider when using discretion when issuing tickets is whether or not the violator will cease from committing similar violations. You clearly don't think you did anything wrong. Which may be a reason you were cited.

Wow. You still have no idea what I am talking about and continue to point out things I have already addressed. No I did not argue with the officer because for the 10,293,094,905,095,429,890,435 time I already admitted and never denied having no brakes was not illegal.

NO BRAKES IS ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you understand that part, but I am not sure you will. Oh well...

cohhbra

Established Member
With the amount of drivel you post in here I am surprised you have not been placed on read only status. The only people that get the advice you are claiming are those that come in here bitching that they got a ticket that they deserved and wanting to avoid taking responsibility or it. Kinda like you do.
Haha, you get my point finally. Just because something might be going on doesn't mean you're allowed to break laws to get to it because you simply don't know whats up. That's why people like me make you mad because we know how to stop you from getting anywhere near us legally, but you just do it anyway and then get it in court from an attorney.

And the kind of people that take my advice are the ones that ended up better off after everything was finished. I've watched it happen, I was there to celebrate after it was over.

Goodbye SVTP, I got lots of useful knowledge from here. I tried to spread some and of course, the cops ruined all the fun again.

Gun + badge = cop
Badge= person
Me = person
get what I'm saying

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
con't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out. I don't get your point because you had no point. what you don't seem to get is that I am not a cop. never claimed to be. and as I person, I see your drivel for what it is, drivel

Haha, you get my point finally. Just because something might be going on doesn't mean you're allowed to break laws to get to it because you simply don't know whats up. That's why people like me make you mad because we know how to stop you from getting anywhere near us legally, but you just do it anyway and then get it in court from an attorney.

And the kind of people that take my advice are the ones that ended up better off after everything was finished. I've watched it happen, I was there to celebrate after it was over.

Goodbye SVTP, I got lots of useful knowledge from here. I tried to spread some and of course, the cops ruined all the fun again.

Gun + badge = cop
Badge= person
Me = person
get what I'm saying

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Wow. You still have no idea what I am talking about and continue to point out things I have already addressed. No I did not argue with the officer because for the 10,293,094,905,095,429,890,435 time I already admitted and never denied having no brakes was not illegal.

NO BRAKES IS ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you understand that part, but I am not sure you will. Oh well...

So just go "protest" your ticket in court. Make sure you tell the judge that it doesn't matter that you broke the law. You're a poor college student, you didn't do anything other than break the law to be stopped and cited, you have a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with the fact that you broke the law, your BMX bike doesn't have brakes because it's a kick ass street bike, and none of this matters because it was your thread in svtp and you're not leaving anytime soon.

Report back with results. :coolman:

con't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out. I don't get your point because you had no point. what you don't seem to get is that I am not a cop. never claimed to be. and as I person, I see your drivel for what it is, drivel

Oh could we all be so lucky if he just walked away. Something tells me this won't be the case though.

4a7191a

Established Member
ill keep on riding my bike with no brakes from time to time :) yippie for my local PD not giving a damn about such stupid laws. isnt it a law in texas where if you PIIHB you can be put to death? just wondering. i know theres a law that when you get out of jail they have to supply you with a horse and shotgun. like thats ever going to happen. but it did a long time ago when that law was needed.

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
What kind of moron would ride a bike without brakes?

The vast majority of profesional and amateur bmx riders who dont race. Bike control has nothing to do with brakes. Any bmx rider with even minimal experience can stop a bike with no brakes just as quickly as a bike with breaks.

You can ask the officer in court what the underlying reason for the stop was. It was likely related to riding on the wrong side of the road. So do you feel that just because someone cannot afford the fine they shouldnt get the ticket?

Also, since you cant afford the ticket how will you pay the medical bills of the person you hit because your bike doesnt have brakes?

Again its rather easy to stop a bike and control it whilst having no breaks. Although obviously not ideal

A bike without brakes is NOT designed for street riding. Dig a little bit deeper next time.

Quite the opposite, bikes w/o breaks are specifically designed for the street riding aspect of bmx, although im sure this is not the street you are thinking of.
There are only a few instances where a bicycle manufacturer can sell a bicycle without brakes. The vast majority of them (yes, even BMX bikes) have brakes.

Does your bike free-wheel?

wrong, the vast majority of quality Bmx bikes are built from frame nowadays by the rider, and most are sold with either removeable brake mounts or no mounts at all. This is one of the ways manufacturers get around the applicable laws on the subject.

His bike does not have a freewheel, but it does not have a coaster brake either which is why im assuming your asking the question. he most likely runs what is called a cassette hub which enables smaller gearing.

Absolutely.

T1 you have recieved more than the info you asked for in your original post.
You broke the law just pay the fine. My advice would be to show up to court looking reasonable (not like a Bmx rider) be respectfull and ask the judge for leniency, not because you cant pay the fine but because you are sorry for breaking the law and are now informed on where you can and cant ride your bike.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread