Billet Oil Pump Gears How Much $ Is Fair To Install Them

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
Getting Billet Oil Pump Gears installed in my 11:1 Alluminator next week....I want it done with the engine in the car.....my car has a paxton 2200, shop doing it has never done it before but im in very good hands as he is one of the best engine builders in Ontario....how long and how much would be a fair price to have the gears installed....ill be showing him this thread so he has something to go by.....rather then charging me by the hour id rather dial in a flat rate for the job....

Last edited:

jojobee

Established Member
Getting Billet Oil Pump Gears installed in my 11:1 Alluminator next week....I want it done with the engine in the car.....my car has a paxton 2200, shop doing it has never done it before but im in very good hands as he is one of the best engine builders in Ontario....how long and how much would be a fair price to have the gears installed....ill be showing him this thread so he has something to go by.....rather then charging me by the hour id rather dial in a flat rate for the job....

I am doing it for 270$ with Brenspeed, that is with the Aluminator out of the car.

Look at this...
http://jmschip.smugmug.com/Cars/Ford-Racing-50-Aluminator/24601317_QxLFH8/2010112997_8qgGzRR#!i=2010112617&k=S9GNm3G<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Depending on shop labor rate I would say 8-10 hours of labor is fair. So depends on the rate per hour.

-Thomas

thodge

Established Member
The one bolt for the oil pick up is easy to get to but the other one not so much. Took me about 8 hours.

burke985

Established Member
When I was looking at doing this I was getting about 4 hours labor quotes from shops in my area

coyote302

Established Member
When I was looking at doing this I was getting about 4 hours labor quotes from shops in my area

4 hours labor ....this is a very good price or they have never done this before ....8 hours is a very fair price ....I will do mine when i will install my paxton....

coyote302

Established Member
You are running that fast with a stock oil pump gear :eek:.....outch !!! this is a bomb about to explode men .....

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
You are running that fast with a stock oil pump gear :eek:.....outch !!! this is a bomb about to explode men .....
exactly why i am gonna get it done...their is a guy local to you beside the track that tunes and has a dyno that apparently had the oil pump gear fail...however i heard he was at the track almost every weekend for 2 years so id have to think his lasted for around 200+ passes....im doing it to avoid the same thing that happened to him and give me piece if mind....im sure their are several fast cars running 10-12psi with stock oil pump gears though....i think hitting the rev limiter and over revving has alot to do with them failing....boss mustangs come from factory able to rev to 7500rpm and have the same oil pump gear as far as i know....tons of shelbys running fast with stock oil pump gears aswell...but still better to invest in the cheap insurance forsure..

dabster

Established Member

Isn't the whole point of the gears to help with revving to higher rpm's without starvation? So if he's still only revving to the stock limit the gears aren't really needed. Or am I misunderstanding the full reasoning for the gears?

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member

Not really. Only a few have had "troubles" with only breaking the oil pump gear. But at the same time, multiple cars were in the mid to low 9s and a couple in the 8s on a stock gear because nothing was out for the coyote for a couple years.

They are good insurance and something we recommend when your building the motor.

Heck, the one in my old 3v was stock and I was pushing 708 through it for years. Multi track passes and stupid amount of abuse before I finally shattered it.

We charge 8 hours do to the job

about the same as us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Isn't the whole point of the gears to help with revving to higher rpm's without starvation? So if he's still only revving to the stock limit the gears aren't really needed. Or am I misunderstanding the full reasoning for the gears?

the gears have been known to break

But hell we broke a set on the dyno in our 2011 when it had the paxton. if you catch it quick enough your fine.

We broke them friday night replaced them and were racing the next day

just food for thought

coyote302

Established Member
exactly why i am gonna get it done...their is a guy local to you beside the track that tunes and has a dyno that apparently had the oil pump gear fail...however i heard he was at the track almost every weekend for 2 years so id have to think his lasted for around 200+ passes....im doing it to avoid the same thing that happened to him and give me piece if mind....im sure their are several fast cars running 10-12psi with stock oil pump gears though....i think hitting the rev limiter and over revving has alot to do with them failing....boss mustangs come from factory able to rev to 7500rpm and have the same oil pump gear as far as i know....tons of shelbys running fast with stock oil pump gears aswell...but still better to invest in the cheap insurance forsure..

you are right about that ,my tuner guy tremblay have run a stock oil pump gear for 2 years and alot of pass on it (lucky or not lucky dont know) before it let go ...he shift at about 7200rpm and i dont know if it is rpm related or a hp boost thing....anyway , it is a good thing to changed it cause it s expensive if it let go ....

coyote302

Established Member
the gears have been known to break

But hell we broke a set on the dyno in our 2011 when it had the paxton. if you catch it quick enough your fine.

We broke them friday night replaced them and were racing the next day

just food for thought

the engine was still ok ....

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
nice to know that ...i guess that the oil pressure gauge go down to...

Yes and no

Mine did the same thing but after the quick shake it went into fail safe mode. After coasting and the car being off, (in my head, thinking it was a pipe that blew off) I waited till i was at a stop. fired it back up, head valve train tick with the oil pressure light on and i quickly turned it off. I knew i lost it.

Ripped it out put the new one in and drove it for another year before she met her maker.

Moral to the story, if you catch it soon enough, you can salvage but its a 50/50.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
shattering the oil pump typically comes from ratting the crank snout, this is often caused by jumping off and back hard onto the throttle.

ask me how I know.

P1013485.gif

yup heard it making noise tuned it off and replaced them everything was good

wish that was my experience.... :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread