Billet Oil Pump Gears How Much $ Is Fair To Install Them

NickSezz

Established Member
shattering the oil pump typically comes from ratting the crank snout, this is often caused by jumping off and back hard onto the throttle.

ask me how I know.

P1013485.gif

wish that was my experience.... :nonono:

Very true. If you guys on the stock gear break the tires loose just let it go and get back in line. It's not worth trying to be a hero unless there is championship on the line ; )

Jim Jr. here learned that lesson the hard way and ended up shooting a cam sprocket right though the valve cover back in the 3V R&D days...:bash:

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
my engine will be in the car and I have a Paxton so I can imagine it will be the 8 hours to do it with engine in the car and take the blower off aswell....

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
you are right about that ,my tuner guy tremblay have run a stock oil pump gear for 2 years and alot of pass on it (lucky or not lucky dont know) before it let go ...he shift at about 7200rpm and i dont know if it is rpm related or a hp boost thing....anyway , it is a good thing to changed it cause it s expensive if it let go ....
I am tuned to shift at 7500rpm....ive made about 50 passes so far...just need to make it through one more day at the track....gears are scheduled to go in on Tuesday...

str3ck

Established Member
my engine will be in the car and I have a Paxton so I can imagine it will be the 8 hours to do it with engine in the car and take the blower off aswell....

you wording on that is a little confusing. I had a Vortech on mine when I had the oil pump gear install. Most shops are quoting 8 hours with the engine still in the car, assuming the car is stock (nothing extra to take on or off). my shop charged and extra 6 hours for all the supercharger tubing, brackets and unit itself. Seeing as how all that has to come off just to get the timing cover off.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
So how worried should I be with the mods in my Sig and shifting at 7800 at the track? I was looking at replacing these as it is a DD and wanted to have it set instead of waiting for them too break.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
With no power adder I would not worry a lot. It's the extra strain on the crank that is caused by the blower that is the biggest culprit.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
With no power adder I would not worry a lot. It's the extra strain on the crank that is caused by the blower that is the biggest culprit.

I keep hearing it is the resonance too though. The engine does make a very interesting sound from about 7100-7200+ that is very unlike the other RPMs.

hirting

Established Member
Are there instructions online I could follow to attempt myself?

Yes, go to the "How To" section on this site. There is a great write up by Blazer with pictures. I used this guidance to do the install myself and it went flawlessly.

irishpwr46

Established Member
If you get the entire cobra jet pump setup with the billet gears, does it make the install easier/ less time consuming?

edit: nevermind I found the answer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread