Blew up the Boss!

96GT/SC

Ford Fan
Established Member
Wow, so it made 870whp with the 3.5 and 18psi. With the 3.25 it was potentially making more right? What psi did you hit?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Wow, so it made 870whp with the 3.5 and 18psi. With the 3.25 it was potentially making more right? What psi did you hit?

Oh yeah, it was making more. LOL
No boost gauge but I'm gonna guess 21psi based on the increases seen with other pulley swaps.

Today's lesson: Stock Boss rods want out at 900+ rwhp. ;-)

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

Yeah but less comp less HP. That's why these motor's make a lot more pwr then the 03-04 cobra motor. I had to run 20psi to make what my 11 makes on 10psi.

They are but they are also still somewhat high compression motors.

GT500/Terminator motors are forged in the same fashion (slightly different in terms of what actual parts of the rotating assy are forged) but they are lower compression. This gives a bit more leeway when it comes to tuning headroom.

I dont think people realize the pressure in the combustion chamber during a knock/predetonation event. Lower compression can handle this event slightly better than a higher compression motor.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Sick car. It went out like a bawss too!

I can't wait to see this thing run in person next year. I'm going to be moving back to the Schertz / Cibolo area.

BigDan

Established Member
Sad to see your boss engine blow up, it was my favorite Coyote out there. Those powder metal rods sure put up a good long fight.

Have you thought about starting out with a mmr billet pro mod block or are you just gonna run another stock block?

DSCF0242-392x288.jpg

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
wow impressive! from what ive seen a mustang dyno number is about 15-17% different then a dynojet so u where well over 900whp!!
Those numbers were through an auto too, so yes, the car was making over 900rw.
Have you thought about starting out with a mmr billet pro mod block or are you just gonna run another stock block?
/DSCF0242-392x288.jpg[/IMG]
L&M Engines is doing the new build. :beer:
How are the heads?
Drivers side head is perfect. PS had two bent valves and a couple of dinks/scuffs on two cylinders. Basically, way better than I expected! I'll post up those pics tomorrow.

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
Sad to see your boss engine blow up, it was my favorite Coyote out there. Those powder metal rods sure put up a good long fight.

DSCF0242-392x288.jpg

That is a pushrod block :shrug:

No billet coyote blocks, yet.

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
Because boss > terminator.
Gonna be a collectors car too, 8,xxx bosses vs 17,xxx terminators

:pop:

is this really true?

i don't keep up with build specs on these cars but were 17,xxx Terminators only made? if so that is half the lightning build? what years were they made?

also, only 8,xxx bosses have been made? what year were those availalble and are they gonna buid anymore? what is the difference between a boss and the new 5.0?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Damn man. Those are definitely dome breeze ways.

You will have the new setup ready for the March Texas Mile event, though, right? I plan on making it down there.

Users who are viewing this thread