Blew up the Boss!

HandBanana

Established Member
at least you got the whole way through your run! that sucks OP but at least you're ready to roll with a new block. Could you post some pics of your Cobra? I'm curious.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
That sure is impressive though. Can't wait to see whats next as far as motor / blower / turbo combo goes.

The only thing that is going to change is the short block and cams.

Fuel is done, suspension is done, trans is a Circle D built 6R80 now and the KB 3.6 is capable of a lot more boost than I'm currently pushing. It'll be a stronger, slightly lower compression shortblock, Boss heads and Cobra Jet cams.
At the end of the day, this is a true street car and I will not turn it into a race car. :beer:

how long did it last at those levels
Over 2.5 years.

at least you got the whole way through your run! that sucks OP but at least you're ready to roll with a new block. Could you post some pics of your Cobra? I'm curious.
Almost all the way through! If it would have held out just a few seconds longer I would have had a new PB! LOL
Cobra is here. Cobra Specs

BLAKE 01 WS6

Established Member
Sucks it blew but 870 through an auto on a mustang dyno is some serious power! Good luck on the new build I'm sure it's gonna be wicked (not that it wasn't already)!!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Amazing that the stock motor put up with that much abuse. Makes you wonder how people were destroying them with muuuuch lower boost.

I will be interested in your experience with L&M. They will probably be my builder of choice.

I had a great experience with Mike when he built my Cobra engine. Could have been a bit better with communication on delivery time, but he built a strong motor for sure. He's primarily the go-to guy around the mid-atlantic for hi-po mustang engines.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I remember seeing that car when it was BRAND NEW out here in Calif. You have come a LONG way from that day!! That Boss will come back better, stronger, and faster!!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
OP what auto were you using by the way?

can't wait to see her back with the new motor, at least you knew it was coming at some point.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I thought those things were forged.
They are, just like Terminator and GT500s are forged from the factory. How long do those motors last at 850+ horsepower with a lot of racing?

I remember seeing that car when it was BRAND NEW out here in Calif. You have come a LONG way from that day!! That Boss will come back better, stronger, and faster!!
Seems like yesterday! :beer:

OP what auto were you using by the way?

can't wait to see her back with the new motor, at least you knew it was coming at some point.
6R80 trans since summer 2012. The MT82 didn't like torque. ;-)

Palmer

Established Member
Very impressive. Sounds like you've had lots of fun with the car and theres lots more fun in it's future.

redrocket16

Established Member
Looks like Tim has some work to do! At least it let go at SA and not at the mile like you said Tracy.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Props on giving it hell for 2.5 years! Very impressive.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
that motor showed you who's boss! :dancenana:

sucks to see but you knew it was coming and like you said, now you know for your customers. :beer:

psfracer

924 hp all motor
Established Member
RIP. 11,500 miles at 850rwhp, not bad at all for a stock motor. Its always a bad situation when the motor lets go on the big end. Glad you kept it straight and off the wall.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I thought those things were forged.

They are but they are also still somewhat high compression motors.

GT500/Terminator motors are forged in the same fashion (slightly different in terms of what actual parts of the rotating assy are forged) but they are lower compression. This gives a bit more leeway when it comes to tuning headroom.

I dont think people realize the pressure in the combustion chamber during a knock/predetonation event. Lower compression can handle this event slightly better than a higher compression motor.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Some pics. So far, one broken rod, one broken piston, couple of bent valves and holes in both sides of the block.

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread