BMC Blown Motor Club

Bulldogger

Established Member
Possibly, however the position of "you should add timing" "who's your tuner" and "what's your average A/F underload"

My A/F was average around 11.8

I didn't need any more timing. The car was running good and cool.

And Jon Lund tuned my car. I was running 93 Pump gas and I shouldn't have been because the 19+ lbs of boost on 93 Octane (later tested fuel and discovered to be less than 93) was too much boost for 93 octane always has been always will be. I should have been on the 3.25 upper and kept the boost down but I was going for speed and power and I didn't have enough octane. Plain and simple. Nobody's fault but mine.

In my case the car was flying and felt great. I did my usual scan gauge and noticed my A/F suddenly had gone from 11.7-11.8 at WOT to 12.2 - 12.3. I immediately lifted but at speed and under load at a track like Daytona it was only a matter of seconds. For the record that stock motor was abused and it owed me absolutely nothing. Current motor has less than 50 hours on it and is an absolute beast. And it's all good!

This unfortunately seems to be all to common. We tested fuel from a couple of top name fuel stations and there 93 is not up to grade no pun intended. Also I wouldn't run above 17lbs of boost on gas. This was my reasoning for running a 91 octane tune and attempting to keep 93 in the tank. A small saftey margin

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Lol thanks man.. I made up the thread in the SN95 section :beer: I quoted ur original post to give you the well deserved credit of thinking of this

bull3441

Established Member
What Rpm did it pop at. From what I have seen is that redline should be lowered when running big power.
mine let go go decel, so who knows for my case. i heard NOTHING under load and my AFR was low 11's. also the side that popped was the same side as my wideband. after blowing motors in the past i learned to keep windows up and music off during a run, to listen for knock. my car was dead silent during the run.

bull3441

Established Member
This unfortunately seems to be all to common. We tested fuel from a couple of top name fuel stations and there 93 is not up to grade no pun intended. Also I wouldn't run above 17lbs of boost on gas. This was my reasoning for running a 91 octane tune and attempting to keep 93 in the tank. A small saftey margin
i had just filled up prior to my motor going. but i was on the edge of psi. see what the cause was when L&M opens her up.

bull3441

Established Member
All of our motors are "blown" supercharged. Unless you go turbo and then it's the BTMC.

Nothing to see here.......move along!

LMAO
the only turbo guy i heard of that blew his motor was TheBull. one man will not cause the BMC to-go-to BTMC. compound boost is cheating anyway.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
I like this thread and hope to never contribute to it. This will give everyone a good idea of what causes these engines to let go. You can see a trend already.

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
How about some good carnage pics?

Oh yeah
Miles 2k (cp pistons, Oliver rods, Manley springs, arp fasteners)
Dyno pulls over 200 track passes at least 200 and some street driving
Failure I believe was a damaged wrist pin.
Popped on the dyno before our last track rental
Best pass 9.49 at 151
Best dyno pull 1200rwhp.

Last edited:

bull3441

Established Member
How about some good carnage pics?

Oh yeah
Miles 2k (cp pistons, Oliver rods, Manley springs, arp fasteners)
Dyno pulls over 200 track passes at least 200 and some street driving
Failure I believe was a damaged wrist pin.
Popped on the dyno before our last track rental
Best pass 9.49 at 151
Best dyno pull 1200rwhp.
Bull, do you know which pins CP uses 9310 or H-13?

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
Bull, do you know which pins CP uses 9310 or H-13?

Heres a couple of pics...not sure on the pins. The new ones are large!!!

downloadfile-7-1.jpg

downloadfile-9-1.jpg

downloadfile-8-1.jpg

Last edited:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
i could buy a 2012 Focus, if that gives you an idea. guys who the pull/swap themselves a new Fiesta

On motor builds, I think it is easy to get carried away. That is how is was from my last project car. If mine goes, I will keep this one "simple". The things you do for an extra 50-70whp add a ton of expense to the build.

Marc

Established Member
Quick question since all I have is 91 Octane here. Its tuned on 91 Octane, 2.9 Whipple, 622HP daily driver tune, 17 lbs of boost...should I be adding Octane Boost at every fill up?

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I think it depends on tune and timing. I run 16.5lbs but i'm on 93 octane. I do add a can of Torco when I'm cutting the fool just to be safe. With that much boost I can only assume that timing is turned down low. I'm over 700 with a 2.9.

StangSupremacy

Established Member
I am on the verge of purchasing a used 07-09 GT500 and plan to push around 650 rwhp, but the possibility of blowing up is now haunting me.

Could you guys share, what is the typical rebuild cost? I know it will vary quite a bit because some go all out on the rebuild while some keep it cost effective.

Users who are viewing this thread