BMR K Member install - Lots of pics

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Very nice. You should put a copy of this in the how-to forum. Also, what do you think about putting this on the front page next week?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Very nice. You should put a copy of this in the how-to forum. Also, what do you think about putting this on the front page next week?

Great idea Travis, I will copy it there.

Also, feel free to use this anywhere you like. I have a few grammer errors and arrangement mishaps to correct, but will be done in the morning 100%.

GHIG'13

Established Member
Great write-up Beast, I am very interested in vibration and noise increase over stock. If its not bad I am going to get one for my car.

D.T.R

Established Member
Great write-up Beast, I am very interested in vibration and noise increase over stock. If its not bad I am going to get one for my car.

With stock A-Arms, the NVH should be not very noticeable if any at all.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Added this to the "How To" section. Thanks for the tip.

GHIG'13, it's not that bad unless you insist on having a quiet/smooth ride. If you do, this mod isn't for you. Those who can compromise some "VH" for speed will love the mod. D.T.R. hit the nail on the head, with the factory A arms.....it's not a big deal, barely noticeable until you are at a stop.

I will not be daily driving this car much longer. The next time my local bank has an APR sale, I'm buying a F150 in sterling gray to match my car.

BMR Tech

What a great write-up Troy.

I really appreciate seeing members of our community provide great information, as well as excellent pictures like this.

You appear to be very analytical, and attention to detail - how would you rate the fitment of this component?

Thanks again!

GHIG'13

Established Member
Added this to the "How To" section. Thanks for the tip.

GHIG'13, it's not that bad unless you insist on having a quiet/smooth ride. If you do, this mod isn't for you. Those who can compromise some "VH" for speed will love the mod. D.T.R. hit the nail on the head, with the factory A arms.....it's not a big deal, barely noticeable until you are at a stop.

I will not be daily driving this car much longer. The next time my local bank has an APR sale, I'm buying a F150 in sterling gray to match my car.

My car is a sunny day/weekend toy so I can handle some added "VH". Thanks for the insight, this and a JPC return fuel system are next on the list. Merry Christmas to me!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
What a great write-up Troy.

I really appreciate seeing members of our community provide great information, as well as excellent pictures like this.

You appear to be very analytical, and attention to detail - how would you rate the fitment of this component?

Thanks again!

Fitment is spot on, every bolt hole lines up correctly, and the front top K member mouting points are large enough to allow side to side motion to center the suspension correctly under the car.

Looking at my car, I think the passenger front wheel may be sticking slightly farther out than the drivers front, although it could be in my imagination. Quick/Simple measuring from the outside with wheels on shows about 1/8" to 1/4" of difference. However, I'm not accepting that measurement from the outside, as different degrees of negative camber can affect the accuracy.

I'm measuring the car from underneath tonight comparing areas not affected by camber, just to be sure. The good news is, if I goofed, and the member is biased to one side, there is enough adjustment to perfectly center the rack. Your design is flawless, allowing for every possible adjustment required to meet or correct Ford's wide tolerances.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Thank you for the feedback.

Please keep me updated on your future measurements. We run a very tight process that ensures, at most, 1/8" tolerance/variation.....but our K-Members are usually in the 1/32" to 1/16" range, in accuracy, which is very precise for such pieces.

You are correct - the external tire measurements may present a flaw, but your other measurements should show the realistic amount. And you are also right, there is definitely some play available to ensure you can meet the alignment you need/wish.

Usually, it can just be slapped on, aligned, and good to go!

Thanks again sir.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Last night, I put the car back on jack stands to take measurements underneath from every angle. Everything was within a 1/16" of an inch tolerance or less, excellent. Simply lining up the engine mounts to the member, leaving the engine in the factory location, made it easy to get things straight the first time.

The visual passenger side wheel being farther out is toe out and camber adjustment. Yes, you can slightly adjust camber even with factory mounts, there is room to move about .5 degree. I have an alignment scheduled for Saturday morning. All will be perfect then.

Also, I discovered you can install the steering shaft knuckle to the steering rack when the member is fully installed. There is a second bolt on the top of the knuckle you can remove to get the clearance you need.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Wow, that is excellent to know.

I really appreciate the detailed feedback, and I am sure the readers do as well.

Users who are viewing this thread