botched fender rolling!!!!ahhh!!!

03mgmcobra

Established Member
i am doing 17x11's w/ 335/35-17 tires so i took my term in to get the rear fenders rolled. i did not ask them beforehand if they use i heat gun to prevent paint flaking, because i didn't know about it...while waiting for them to do it i researched more (should have done this beforhand or relized i could have done it myself). when i went to pick up, found my baby's paint chipped off and flaked...AHHHH! looks like shit. dude said "i told you there was a risk"...yeah, but this looks like holy hell. i asked if they used a heat gun, he said "it would bubble the paint", then went on rambling about how they service maseratis and lambos and etc. i left not quite as pissed when he agreed to only charge me $50 to have his "paint guy" clean/touch it up. while i'm at it i'll have him hit some flaking clear coat and rock chips too. bottom line, not happy right now. :nonono:

ps. i'll post pics tomorrow in the daylight if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

RS22

Established Member
I want to see pix. I'm thinking of getting my fenders rolled in the near future and I want to see how bad it can be.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
Gotta research before you hand the keys over...

RARE5.0

RARE NOTCHBACK
Established Member
That Suck man. Did they use the eastwood fender roller? Or a baseball bat.

s|ck

Established Member
Damn that sucks man! Sounds like the didn't know how to fender roll :uh oh:

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Gotta see some pics. I guess there is a risk when they don't know what they where doing. When you need it done right do it yourself.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
very interested in pics...always be an informed customer before you drop your car off somewhere...either way, this is very unfortunate...

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I used the heat gun doing mine and took my time. No chipping and no bubbling of paint. You just need to use your head to keep the heat on and off and not to over heat it.

Sny714

Established Member
I did mine myself. Rented the gun and it cost $50, plus I split the cost with my friend. We used a heat gun and my paint was fine, but my friends was chipping a lot on his 89 Notch.

ssp.vortech

Established Member
<sub'd>

Nothing worse than paying a shop, only to be completely displeased with the end result. They could have done the right thing and taken care of it for you at no charge, but everyone needs to make a buck I guess. I want to do this to my coupe and eventually, my Cobra. Here's a decent Fender Rolling How To Link:

If you want to try and tackle this yourself, Tire Rack sells the tool Fender Lip Rolling Tool

fenderlip.jpg

Blownsob

Blown Member
Established Member
So what exactly are you rolling on the fenders? Just the inner lip that sticks out 1/2 to 3/4"?

Users who are viewing this thread