Brake upgrade

synergydetail

Established Member

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I would recommend that kit. It actually is a great upgrade. You may want to try a different pad depending what you use the car for

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
If you are looking for just stopping power you should look at different pads, for the same pad material the kit you linked will yield same stopping power. the advantage of the kit is increased thermal capacity and increase in the pad size.
Since it's just for the street, you don't need any of the benefits that kit provides and you'll be better off with more aggressive pad material.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
The right brand of tire up front (new) and ceramic pads will work wonders
And if I am upgrading the brake kit....Baer with the Shelby logo

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
While didn't go the kit route, I got take offs from someone doing a brake upgrade. I ended up with braided steel brake lines and went with the Ford Racing front rotor set. They save about 10 lbs. of weight over the stock parts, but I think they've been discontinued. I'm happy with it and it is any improvement over the smaller rotors in extreme use. You won't notice a lot of difference in most driving situations.

merkyworks

Established Member
As others have said this kit isn't bad but couple of thoughts about it.
  1. The kit rear calipers are the exact same units you already have on your car. To upgrade to larger rear brakes (13-14 GT500) all you need is the brackets and rotors.
  2. Upgrading to 6 piston/15" rotor setup won't give you more street stopping power, the upgrade will really only help in reducing brake fade in race applications.
  3. Upgrading pads and rotors on your current 4 piston brakes will give a noticeable increase in braking performance.
Will all that said big 6 piston brakes look mean and who wouldn't want them so if you want them go for it!

synergydetail

Established Member
  1. The kit rear calipers are the exact same units you already have on your car. To upgrade to larger rear brakes (13-14 GT500) all you need is the brackets and rotors.
  2. Upgrading to 6 piston/15" rotor setup won't give you more street stopping power, the upgrade will really only help in reducing brake fade in race applications.
  3. Upgrading pads and rotors on your current 4 piston brakes will give a noticeable increase in braking performance.
Will all that said big 6 piston brakes look mean and who wouldn't want them so if you want them go for it!

Thanks for all the feedback. I’ve read a bit about pads and am thinking of going that route first. Given that the car is used for street use only I’m thinking of going with the Hawk HPS pads but open to any suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

synergydetail

Established Member

Suggestions on rotors too?

Thanks!

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
I've used the HPS and they are good pads, you can also look at g-lock and carbotech but those are a bit more expensive. For the rotors, OEM blanks are fine but you can look at StopTech slotted rotors which they say it increases initial bite. I got a set for front and rear but haven't installed them yet.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Thossethat say you will not notice a better braking in street driving are incorrect. Try driving a 13/14 gt500 to compare to yours. You will really notice a difference when driving the back roads.

As for changing pads and rotors that will also make a huge difference. My stock pads wore out before 20k miles so i went with hawk HPS pads
There better than stock but dont really get grippy till there warm.

On my next set of brakes im going with DBA T3 4000 for the front and for the rear using the baer 14in rear upgrade kit with the stock calipers. I will be trying out the hawk 5.0 pads all around.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The only reason i have not upgraded to the 6 piston 15in rotor kit is because my stock rims wont clear others wise i would have just upgraded to the 6 piston. In the future if i decide to get some 13/14 gt500 rims i will then upgrade to there brake kit in the front.

Totalpkg

Established Member
Cleveland,OH, USA or Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Last edited:

merkyworks

Established Member
I'm running StopTech rotors (Front-drilled/slotted and Rear-slotted) with Autozone ceramic pads. This combo stops pretty good and has almost zero brake dust which from a DD standpoint is great.
If I upgrade to 6 pistons calipers or when I need new pads for my 4 pistons I'm upgrading to two piece rotors and G-Loc pads.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Thossethat say you will not notice a better braking in street driving are incorrect. Try driving a 13/14 gt500 to compare to yours. You will really notice a difference when driving the back roads.

As for changing pads and rotors that will also make a huge difference. My stock pads wore out before 20k miles so i went with hawk HPS pads
There better than stock but dont really get grippy till there warm.

On my next set of brakes im going with DBA T3 4000 for the front and for the rear using the baer 14in rear upgrade kit with the stock calipers. I will be trying out the hawk 5.0 pads all around.

The 13/14 is different enough to render this comparison invalid, weight, tires, suspension all play a part in "braking feel". Physically, stopping force between the two system will not change.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Hey all,

Wanting to get some more stopping power out of my 2012 GT500 PP used for street use. Looking at getting the 15’ six piston Brembo Brake upgrade kit seen on AM. Cost doesn’t seem too steep considering everything is included but wanted input on your thoughts and any different ideas.

I'm in the same boat as you, with my '12 PP GT500:

FRONT
I've ordered the Baer 2-piece EradiSpeed brake rotors along with a set of carbon-fiber GT autozone brake pad, will be seeing if this is an improvement without breaking the bank.

Baer Brakes EradiSpeed+ Two Brake Rotors 2261031

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...last-gt-street-brake-pads/488704_823863_32180

REAR
I'm upsizing the rear rotor diameter to the 13/14 GT500 rotor [13.8"] with StopTech Cryo directional rotor [13.78"] with the help of these machined brackets from eBay without disassembling the rearend. Trying EBC "Red" rear pads [@ $70] too.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sph-127-61105cl/overview/
Obviously, drop the "L" and add "R" for left & right since these are individual rotors

05-14 Mustang 14" Rear Brake Rotor Adapter Brackets GT Boss 302 GT500 V6 13.8 | eBay

EBC Brakes DP31894C

............................................................................................................................................

I'll post a follow-up, once the installation is complete and some "seat time", on how my project went....

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The 13/14 is different enough to render this comparison invalid, weight, tires, suspension all play a part in "braking feel". Physically, stopping force between the two system will not change.

Incorrect again

There is physically more surface contact with the 15in 6piston kit. All things being equal the 6piston 15in setup will perform better than the 14 in 4 piston.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Incorrect again

There is physically more surface contact with the 15in 6piston kit. All things being equal the 6piston 15in setup will perform better than the 14 in 4 piston.

Yes but the total piston area of the 6 pot is smaller than the OE 4 pot, which comes out to the same stopping force. I've researched this extensively and I've compared the 13/14, 15+ and GT350, I can share more technical data if you'd like.

synergydetail

Established Member
Yes but the total piston area of the 6 pot is smaller than the OE 4 pot, which comes out to the same stopping force. I've researched this extensively and I've compared the 13/14, 15+ and GT350, I can share more technical data if you'd like.

That would be awesome, please do

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I would like to see it. Share with us

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
That would be awesome, please do

I would like to see it. Share with us

Gladly.

Well, first I recommend going through some of articles from StopTech, they are excellent reads.
Resource Library

Here is a good one to start with https://www.apcautotech.com/getmedi...e-Systems-and-Upgrade-Selections_8-2018_1.pdf

Now, StopTech argues, and I agree with this, its important to maintain balance when it comes to brakes. Which means you don't want to increase stopping force only in the front or the back. So for me I wanted the brakes to last longer on the track and the 13/14 brakes kit do just that by increasing the rotor diameter and the pads surface area without increasing stopping force.

How do I know all of this, from one of the StopTech articles, they give you the formula for the torque generated at the wheel and its basically a multiplication of 1.fluid pressure 2.caliper piston area 3.friction coefficient from the pad 4.diameter of brake rotor.

After digging around, I found the piston area of the Brembo 4 pot to be 4.3 in^2, and the 13/14 Brembo 6 pot is 4.26 in^2. If you do the calculation you'll find the 13/14 is only %6 more torque, its probably less because the whole system is not %100 efficient. Loss in pressure or deflection of the caliper will effect the final results.

The 15+ caliper and the GT350 are 4.73 and 4.75 in^2 respectively and they are IMO too much for our cars, unless one can balance the rear with the fronts I wouldn't touch them. Besides, based on hydraulics you'll see that the larger piston area would make the brake pedal travels longer and probably feel softer. But for the 13/14, the smaller area will make the pedal firmer, but again I don't think it will be noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread