Breathing new life into an ol' girl....

maple

Established Member
A few months ago, a good buddy of mine called me asking if I’d be willing to look at a friend of his terminator that was running bad. I told him to have the guy reach out to me and I’d see what I can do to help him. Hours later I receive a text message from said friend. He tells me that the car is breaking up and doesn’t have any power after he put the modifications on the car (oh boy.). He asks me if I can fix it for him. Unfortunately between work, a one year old, and some other things, time isn’t something that is abundance in my life, so I had to decline. I told him to bring the car by and I would glance at it and give him my opinion. Before getting off the phone with him, I jokingly ask if he wanted to sell the car. He declined, and said that he couldn’t since he’s owned the car for so long and it had sentimental value to him. Three weeks later, I get a text message from him again asking me if my offer is still on the table. I wasn’t really in the position to spend 20k dollars on a Cobra right now, but I ask him what number he has in his head. His reply nearly made me fall out of my chair… “Does 9k sound fair?” I tell him I want to look at the car the next day due to a prior commitment that night. We agree on a time and place for the following day. Following day rolls around and I get another message from him. “I’m taking the car to the dealership and trading it in.” Whoa whoa whoa!!!! I ask him to please allow me to look at the car before doing so. I meet him on our lunch break. Instantly I see the car has been neglected. Paint chips galore, clear coat peeling, curbed AFS’s, etc…. We go for a ride and the car runs like pure shit. It idles high and breaks up under acceleration. We get back to the parking lot and I asked him if he was firm on the price. We negotiated to $8250 and I became the proud owner of a higher mileage 2003 Cobra.

FB_IMG_1471866541113_zpshki7eoki.jpg

FB_IMG_1471866537145_zps99xsnryu.jpg

FB_IMG_1471866545195_zps92okzhfs.jpg

FB_IMG_1471866549398_zpsnbk4thfe.jpg

FB_IMG_1471866552299_zps1ha1x3e0.jpg

I get the car home, pulled her into the garage and popped the hood. Everybody knows you cannot work on a car in the garage without a beer, so I grabbed a beer and began to shake the car down to see what I can visually see wrong. No sooner than putting the shitty prop rod in the opening I see a vacuum line that was off of the intake. I hook it back up and didn’t see any major issues other than an engine bay that had never been cleaned. Idle is right back where it should be, but the car still breaks up under acceleration. He told me that somebody put plugs in the car so I decided to pick up a set of TR6’s just as insurance. The moment that I pull the coil covers off, I knew somebody took his money or he was lying to me one. Pulled the plugs out after cleaning out the valleys of all the dirt and crap and find seven original Motorcraft plugs and one Autolite.
FB_IMG_1471866556957_zpsqvw1edhk.jpg

Tossed in the new TR6’s and she ran like a champ when I took her up the road. When I pulled her back into the garage, I noticed the blower reservoir didn’t have coolant circulating, so I began to look into that common issue. I grabbed my trusty BFH and knock the shit out of the pump and jumped the relay. Good as new!
FB_IMG_1471866579000_zpsx4i6jxyv.jpg

Like every other Mustang I’ve owned, the stance is one of the first things to be addressed. In went a set of H&R springs! Upon the installation of the springs, I noticed that the ball joints were completely destroyed which I expected with a higher mileage car. I picked up a set of Moog with the help of the 30% discount code when you buy parts online at Advance auto. Get the ball joints pressed in and begin the re-assembly and realized that like a jackass, I mushroomed the top thread of the tie rod end when removing it. Dumbass! So, back to Advance I go to pick up a set of Moog tie rod ends for both sides. Those super sweet caliper covers were quickly taken off of the car as well.
FB_IMG_1471866573103_zpsjkgzorgb.jpg

FB_IMG_1471866673658_zps2v0t4veo.jpg

FB_IMG_1471866689459_zpspdt2tbym.jpg

Second thing that I have to do is replace that shitty factory shifter. You guessed it, MGW baby! This blue handle has been with me since my first Mustang many years ago. When a good buddy of mine bought my Mach 1, I told him I’d leave the handle in the car, but wanted it back if he ever swapped shifters or sold the car. Two months later, he was killed in the car. 24 years old. He got married the Friday before he tragically lost his life, and never got to tell his family that he was going to be a father. They were going to replicate the baby announcement that my wife and I did, but never had the opportunity to do so. A buddy of mine took the car to the yard, so I begged him to get the handle out of the car now that it had even more sentimental value to me. The car was picked up before he was able to swap it out and I was devastated. I looked on every insurance auction that I could find in hopes that it would pop up so I could try and get that handle back. No luck. Weeks go past and I get a text message from my buddies’ wife asking me a few questions about the car. As nicely as I could, I asked her if she knew where the car went. She informed me that his parents bought the car back due to somebody telling them that they could salvage the drivetrain and re-create the car for them. I asked her if there was any chance possible that I could swap that handle out for a different one that I had. I told her the backstory and she told me she would ensure that I got it back before the car was moved again. Long story short, I took the handle and the FRPP leather knob that I put in the car and will have a custom plate made as a tribute.
FB_IMG_1471866559991_zpsm77jvokh.jpg

FB_IMG_1471866562745_zps5safjsxh.jpg

FB_IMG_1471866565391_zpslxjjhqw8.jpg

FB_IMG_1471866568225_zps3kwqppgp.jpg

(What the car looked like before I sold it)
11951144_10153044488432341_1477842375311082903_n_zpsuziqbez4.jpg

(What was left of the car after the accident)
27269_zpsxfx5hf0x.jpg

IMG_20160207_125845860_zpsroieetam.jpg

(Our baby announcement)
1419628399531_zpsniwzeusw.jpg

I love the look of the 18” AFS’s but, they weren’t perfect, so that as going to drive me nuts, so they had to go. To replace them, I picked up a set of 18” series 2’s from LMR in black. I ran these on my Mach and loved the look of them. A buddy of mine tagged me on a post on a post in one of the terminator groups for a set of 18” staggered SSR’s for a ridiculous price, so the series 2’s will be going to a buddy of mine once these SSR’s are refinished.
FB_IMG_1471866599518_zpsepicjrxi.jpg

FB_IMG_1471866648165_zpskqgcih9u.jpg

FB_IMG_1471866644225_zpsaxyff1fv.jpg

FB_IMG_1471866638476_zpsrxfadctw.jpg

FB_IMG_1471866632073_zpsbjt4tbgi.jpg

FB_IMG_1471866619107_zpsfxinvhfb.jpg

(The SSR's that were sitting outside of my garage for hours courtesy of the Fedex driver)
FB_IMG_1471866610931_zpszgwqrf2g.jpg

FB_IMG_1471819272395_zpsiwedc4s2.jpg

Currently the car is in Atlanta being wrapped by a terrific company called Atlanta Custom Wraps. Justin who owns the company is incredible and one of the most laid back dudes I have ever come into contact with. He met me at the shop after 9pm and talked to us for about 45 minutes. Highly recommend him to anybody in the southeast looking to wrap their cars. He’s got TONS of pictures of him and celebrities and famous athletes in the shop, so I thought that was pretty bad ass.
FB_IMG_1471866623187_zpsfqwdmuae.jpg

I knew the moment I pulled up and saw the lambo that my turd was in good hands. haha

Before taking it up to Atlanta, I installed the Mac Prochamber, Borla stingers, and a few new exhaust studs thanks to the last owner. Once the car is done being wrapped, I have a laundry list of parts that will go on the car to include a McLeod street series clutch, flywheel, ARP bolts, and a rear main seal since the one on the car is leaking like crazy, a new tinted front windshield, UPR catch can, full light package from Diode Dynamics, three bar MAP sensor to allow the gauge to read boost, wideband, and finish routing the wiring for my Ngauge that is currently temp installed into the Speed of Sound single pillar pod.
FB_IMG_1471866702364_zpsracn7g3t.jpg

The best mod is sitting in the garage waiting patiently! A brand new 2.3 TVS!!!! I cannot wait to turn this car over to Justin Starkey and his team to see what numbers this high mileage terminator can put down. I picked up a set of 60lb injectors from a buddy of mine yesterday, so I will be sending them out to be overhauled and tested this week. I also need to replace the fuel pump socks and replaced the coils since Justin recommended I do so due to the age of the car to ensure the best results come dyno time.
FB_IMG_1471866652495_zpsamnowj7k.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to read my restoration story so far! I will update as progress goes on!

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Wow, you walked away with a ridiculous deal and gave that car a real home!

Did you say how many miles it had?

Also, how about some post wrap pics? What are you going with?

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
What kind of numbers are you shooting for with the TVS? I've always been curious as to how reliable higher mileage Termi's are. I still think about selling my '15 for one on a daily basis. Haha

03cobraracer

Established Member
Hell of a deal man you got lucky! Love the upgrades so far gonna be killer. I can't wait to see it wrapped also. Where you at in GA? I'm up by Savannah.

maple

Established Member
Wow, you walked away with a ridiculous deal and gave that car a real home!

Did you say how many miles it had?

Also, how about some post wrap pics? What are you going with?
129k miles. She'll be avalanche grey.

What kind of numbers are you shooting for with the TVS? I've always been curious as to how reliable higher mileage Termi's are. I still think about selling my '15 for one on a daily basis. Haha
I'm hoping around 600 with the stock 3.3 pulley. If she blows, she blows!
Hell of a deal man you got lucky! Love the upgrades so far gonna be killer. I can't wait to see it wrapped also. Where you at in GA? I'm up by Savannah.
I'm in Guyton. I work at Gulfstream actually.

03cobraracer

Established Member
Oh ok so your local to me! Wish I worked at gulfstream I could afford more goodies also! Lol. I'll have to check out the car sometime. I live in midway to be exact next to Richmond hill.

65fastback289

Established Member
nice scoop. glad to see it come back to life.
im looking forward to seeing it wrapped in avalanche grey. did they mention if they will be able to wrap the door handles? ive seen a few wrapped terminators without them.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
First - you have a beautiful wife and that baby announcement pic was awesome. Would love to see a family pic with the new addition if you feel like posting it. I also remember you posting another pic - maybe an engagement or wedding pic?

Sorry to hear about your friend, sounds like a very tragic situation for his family :(

Congrats on the Terminator - sounds like a hell of a deal. Surprised to hear about the color choice on the wrap given all the cool options out there, but I'm definitely interested to see how it turns out. Bold move doing a blower swap on a car with that mileage that has likely not been maintained that well, hope it works out.

Last edited:

maple

Established Member
First - you have a beautiful wife and that baby announcement pic was awesome. Would love to see a family pic with the new addition if you feel like posting it. I also remember you posting another pic - maybe an engagement or wedding pic?

Sorry to hear about your friend, sounds like a very tragic situation for his family :(

Congrats on the Terminator - sounds like a hell of a deal. Surprised to hear about the color choice on the wrap given all the cool options out there, but I'm definitely interested to see how it turns out. Bold move doing a blower swap on a car with that mileage that has likely not been maintained that well, hope it works out.

Thanks for the compliment on my wife! She has put up with my shit for 13 years now. Also, I love showing off my family. Thank God Memphis (my son) gets his looks from his mama. haha

I thought about going bold with the color of the wrap originally. I was honestly thinking about doing a copper or sun burnt orange like on the Vettes, but my wife and I both love the avalanche grey, so I decided to go that route. I've had the screaming yellows and the grabber blue mustangs, so I think a more earth toned color will be a nice welcomed change.

As far as the mileage goes with the tvs, if it pops, it pops. My wife broke it down best for me regarding that topic. She told me to put a built motor or an aluminator in and i'd have about 13k in a terminator, plus I could turn up the boost. Who was I to argue? :D

FB_IMG_1472026628896_zpskjrdfwxs.jpg

_MG_9957_zpslink8bhg.jpg

IMG_20160515_153205_zpsu8nemdsm.jpg

FB_IMG_1466340535161_zps8nbaur62.jpg

IMG_20160624_193716120_zpsd3qi2zh3.jpg

Last edited:

maple

Established Member
nice scoop. glad to see it come back to life.
im looking forward to seeing it wrapped in avalanche grey. did they mention if they will be able to wrap the door handles? ive seen a few wrapped terminators without them.
That was never mentioned. I don't see why it wouldn't be?

Love reading these "progress" threads. Nice work OP!
Me too! They are some of my favorite threads to read.

Nice work! Glad you saved her..
Thank you!

Great deal and nice job bringing it back to life!
Thanks dude!

Nice man, hope to see it at Mustangs Unlimited some day.
I've seen you there. At the time, you had the Azure blue mach on the fr500's. I had the DSG mach on fr's at the time! This was probably five years ago or so I believe.

Huff-n-puff

Established Member
Awesome story man! I'm anxiously anticipating seeing this Avalanche gray.... And how good the wrap looks anyway. Is it expensive to have done?

Users who are viewing this thread