Breathing new life into an ol' girl....

maple

Established Member
Awesome story man! I'm anxiously anticipating seeing this Avalanche gray.... And how good the wrap looks anyway. Is it expensive to have done?
Prices to do a car our sizes range from $2500 and up depending on the wrap you choose. This one will be around 3k I believe.

Huff-n-puff

Established Member
Quite a bit cheaper than a good paint job! Have you had one wrapped before? Does it last and look good for a long time? Does it shine like paint? Feel smooth?

maple

Established Member
Quite a bit cheaper than a good paint job! Have you had one wrapped before? Does it last and look good for a long time? Does it shine like paint? Feel smooth?
I have not. He told me with proper care, it would last for about five years. They offer different finishes too. I personally went with a gloss finish. I presume it'll feel just like paint, but not for certain.

Nice work and cute kid, congrats.
Preciate it!

mike s

Established Member
Awesome find and story Chris, I just picked up a 110k comp o vert myself I'm going to save. Can't wait to see more going to look sick with the wrap ACW does awesome work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
Well done, and quick work on getting it going right. That reminds me, I should change the plugs in mine as well. Do you know the part number for the NGK's you got? I have heard good things about them.

In for further updates!

Last edited:

maple

Established Member
Well done, and quick work on getting it going right. That reminds me, I should change the plugs in mine as well. Do you know the part number for the NGK's you got? I have heard good things about them.

In for further updates!

I believe it's 4177.

maple

Established Member
OEM parts that I've replaced/fixed since I purchased the car:

Headlights
Broken exhaust manifold studs
Drivers side mirror gasket to eliminate the shaky mirror
License plate lamps & bulbs
Rear sway bar links
Center console lid

Things that still need to be corrected/replaced:
Door panel cup on the drivers side (to be installed)
Replacing the bulb connectors due to someone breaking both locking tabs off of all four bulb harnesses (WTF?)
Drivers side window motor took a shit on me the day before I drove it to Atlanta while in the down position (parts at the house awaiting to be installed)
I need to remove the xm radio module and the wiring that was installed
Splice the factory speaker wires from where they "engineered" the wiring for the sub and amp
Third brake light that's cracked in two places. (might need to be replaced due to a few LED's being out I believe.)
Rear pumpkin cover is leaking.
And one hell of an interior cleaning!

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
That reminds me, need to replace the gasket on my drivers mirror too. I'll prolly do that tonight.

I dont know if its just me, but this is why I enjoy using the forums still. Watching you get stuff done quickly motivates me to do the same.

mavisky

Established Member
Great purchase and resurrection. Sorry to hear about your buddy, but glad that you'll still have a piece of him with you. BTW, is your wife related to Reese Witherspoon or something? LOL.

maple

Established Member
That reminds me, need to replace the gasket on my drivers mirror too. I'll prolly do that tonight.

I dont know if its just me, but this is why I enjoy using the forums still. Watching you get stuff done quickly motivates me to do the same.

I've owned the car for about two months now, so it hasn't been something that's been done over night. I had the suspension tore apart for about two and a half of those three months. Summer temperatures here in Georgia aren't exactly comfortable to be turning wrenches in the garage. haha

Best advice that I can tell you on that mirror, is to push the bottom of the glass all the way down. (Wear some mechanic or gardening gloves in case it breaks) Pull with an even force with both hands. When putting the glass back in, push on it pretty damn firmly and do so again multiple times. I drove the car that day and when I got out and shut the door, the glass fell from the housing and thankfully I was fast enough to catch it before it hit the ground and shattered.

Last edited:

maple

Established Member
Great purchase and resurrection. Sorry to hear about your buddy, but glad that you'll still have a piece of him with you. BTW, is your wife related to Reese Witherspoon or something? LOL.
HAHA. She'll get a kick out of that comment. Bring your ass down to my charity car show in November in Cochran and meet her! It's like talking to another guy about cars. I'm WAY out of my league with her for sure.

Plus, there will be a dyno competition and everything! Wheel'n for Tots is the name of the event. Check it out on Facebook. You will not find cooler trophies than the ones that I give out, period.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1084134628299155/?ti=cl

Last edited:

BMSTNG

Established Member
Great story and nice read. Best of luck going forward can't wait to see it done.

mavisky

Established Member
HAHA. She'll get a kick out of that comment. Bring your ass down to my charity car show in November in Cochran and meet her! It's like talking to another guy about cars. I'm WAY out of my league with her for sure.

Plus, there will be a dyno competition and everything! Wheel'n for Tots is the name of the event. Check it out on Facebook. You will not find cooler trophies than the ones that I give out, period.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1084134628299155/?ti=cl

I'll see if I can make it. That's a 6 hour round trip for me since I'm north of the ATL for starters. I'll follow the link and keep my eyes on it though.

maple

Established Member
I'll see if I can make it. That's a 6 hour round trip for me since I'm north of the ATL for starters. I'll follow the link and keep my eyes on it though.

Yeah, I hear you man. I have people coming down from Myrtle Beach and Tennessee. Would love to have you man.

03_uni-B

@03_uni_b
Established Member
I've owned the car for about two months now, so it hasn't been something that's been done over night. I had the suspension tore apart for about two and a half of those three months. Summer temperatures here in Georgia aren't exactly comfortable to be turning wrenches in the garage. haha

Best advice that I can tell you on that mirror, is to push the bottom of the glass all the way down. (Wear some mechanic or gardening gloves in case it breaks) Pull with an even force with both hands. When putting the glass back in, push on it pretty damn firmly and do so again multiple times. I drove the car that day and when I got out and shut the door, the glass fell from the housing and thankfully I was fast enough to catch it before it hit the ground and shattered.

Well played on the catch, I replaced the seal on my dads a couple months ago. I had a little tab out of place from when I pulled the mirror off and it wouldn't fully latch when I was trying to reinstall. Then saw what was keeping it from clicking into place.

That shake is a bit nerve racking, I bet if I drove my car more I would've already done it ha. And I hear ya on the heat. Ive had suspension since I bought mine and haven't done it for a number of reasons. But one good one has def been the heat and humidity.

Users who are viewing this thread