Broken Or Cracked Crank?

lawdude

Established Member
A double keyway is a must for big blower applications. I tried running a single keyway with the Whipple 4.0 initially and the car never even made it off the dyno before this happened.

421eea51.jpg

Which balancer were you using?

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Edit car ramrod Stepped back in to answer lol. Sorry

This isn't a witch hunt against Innovative West is it? We've had zero issues with ATI or IW on any of the cars we've used them on. That's not to say some haven't though.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Established Member
Pxdenial, over on the Ford GT500 forum had his crank snout break, I believe he was running a IW 10%.

Sinovac

Established Member
I really don't think that this issue is related to the brand of balancer used

I agree. IW balancers may be associated with more failures simply because there are many more of them in service on GT500s. We are stressing these motors beyond their original design and shouldn't be surprised when things like this happen. I have the IW Cobra Jet balancer (same part but scripted as a CJ part) and have had no problem. Not saying I won't. Quite frankly, with the way I use the car I'm surprised I haven't had a major failure.

The early Cobra Jets had some crank failures attributed to the single keyway. As mentioned above, the later CJs use 2 keys and I have yet to hear of a failure. All the CJs use IW balancers. Over on the Ford GT Forum there have been some isolated issues with the crank snout when the larger Whipples are used.

lawdude

Established Member
Livernois is builder. I'm impressed with their customer service. Jon is my contact. Phone calls are taken and emails answered promptly. Livernois, Justin, and I agreed on a 15% overdrive balancer. ATI is making a custom balancer. Both crank and balancer are double keyed.

Sinovac

Established Member
John at Accufab swears by the ATI. He knows a thing or two about modular motors. Good luck with your build.

lawdude

Established Member
I agree. IW balancers may be associated with more failures simply because there are many more of them in service on GT500s. We are stressing these motors beyond their original design and shouldn't be surprised when things like this happen. I have the IW Cobra Jet balancer (same part but scripted as a CJ part) and have had no problem. Not saying I won't. Quite frankly, with the way I use the car I'm surprised I haven't had a major failure.

The early Cobra Jets had some crank failures attributed to the single keyway. As mentioned above, the later CJs use 2 keys and I have yet to hear of a failure. All the CJs use IW balancers. Over on the Ford GT Forum there have been some isolated issues with the crank snout when the larger Whipples are used.

IW represents on their website that this particular balancer is designed for GT500. The only reason I can think of using this balancer is to increase boost.

I have other pix and futher information that wouldn't be fair to release. That's why I'm asking if anyone else has experienced similar problems. If no one else has, then my failure is a fluke. However, if the same problem manifests with others who have same mod, I'll probably be more than a little bit suspicious.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Was there an issue with the IW leaking? That was an issue back in 07/08 then a new person took over IW and they changed bolt patterns and CNC and that seemed to almost completely eliminate the issue that some were having after a few years of use. This is not a fluid dampner it's for lubrication in the clutch system so others don't get confused. IW customer service is absolutely top notch and the units are serviceable. Again we've used ATI on some of our NA cars and IW on all the supercharged cars with no issue with either. I think you'll find when digging that a lot of people run the IW so hence it would appear out of the failures that IW is common also but because they have more units out in the field the results will be misleading. Would have to perform a thurough failure analyses. I am curious what other issues you experienced. If you feel more comfortable with a PM I'd be interested in it. Thanks

denial

Established Member
Yes mine completely snapped the end of the crank off. The crank snub is actually still stuck inside the balancer!

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Well all this talk of a busted crank has got me turned off on the idea of doing a lower pulley for sure. Out of curiosity what would the cost be to have a shop repair a failure like this?

Users who are viewing this thread