Broken Or Cracked Crank?

500_man

Established Member
"step awayyyyy from the 2 step!"

bj

Better tell Ford to remove it from the '13 GT500 & Boss.

Also, there are various RPMs and throttle positions to use when using a 2-step for launch repeatability. You're making an assumption that everybody does a gun and dump with one - which is a faulty assumption at least in my case.

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Better tell Ford to remove it from the '13 GT500 & Boss.

Also, there are various RPMs and throttle positions to use when using a 2-step for launch repeatability. You're making an assumption that everybody does a gun and dump with one - which is a faulty assumption at least in my case.

There's a monumental difference between a launch control acting as a pseudo 2-step and a WOT Box or MSD sitting there, regardless of RPM.

There is no way on this God's earth that Ford or anyone else will warranty a car that the end user can rack up to "X" rpm and sidestep the clutch if it works in the same, uncontrolled manner in which a regular 2 step does.

bj

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
How does Ford do it differently than your average 2 step?

They couple it with traction control which progressively adds power, controls wheelspin, etc.

Just like the ZL1, they've designed these car's to withstand (in Ford's case) up to a 5000 rpm launch. They're not going to allow 100% power to be unleashed from 5k.

An MSD or WOT box certainly has no such access to the ecm.

Bj

Sent via Tapatalk from my MoPho

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I was hoping for an answer to this one...

Ford. 2007. Three of them, all with the heavy 07 damper. Thus, the prerequisite swap to the much lighter 08 damper when power was added.

But thus far, no broken cranks without added power, a 10%-15% damper AND the use of some type of 2 step device.

Bj

Sent via Tapatalk from my MoPho

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I'm pretty sure Van had his motor let go with a 3.6 KB and a stock lower at around 200mph but not many of us hitting those speeds. Interesting info on the two step didn't realize they were a big part of the failures.

Van@RevanRacing

I'm pretty sure Van had his motor let go with a 3.6 KB and a stock lower at around 200mph but not many of us hitting those speeds. Interesting info on the two step didn't realize they were a big part of the failures.

My engine internals let go because of low octane and 19 lbs of boost on a Kenne Bell 2.8 at around 200 MPH at Daytona. I burnt a couple of pistons and the crank was fine.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Stock crank, 4.0L Whipple, 10% Lower, 3" upper, over 1000rwhp, WOT BOX= No issues so far.

500_man

Established Member
There's a monumental difference between a launch control acting as a pseudo 2-step and a WOT Box or MSD sitting there, regardless of RPM.

There is no way on this God's earth that Ford or anyone else will warranty a car that the end user can rack up to "X" rpm and sidestep the clutch if it works in the same, uncontrolled manner in which a regular 2 step does.

bj

Interesting. I launch my Cougar with a 2L Kenne Bell @ 3500 RPM on the 2-step dozens of times. Dead hook and it just lifts the front wheels a tiny bit. Mostly everybody at the dragstrip who got tired of inconsistent 60' times uses one (which is most of the more experienced people.) I have programmed a 1st gear timing pull (load vs. RPM) to ensure that the tires don't break free. The 3500 RPM is the stored energy and the exponential release of power as timing is added back in is the surge off the line. Everybody compliments how consistently I launch and they love the low steady wheelie it does.

Now I've learned some important lessons - I used to launch at 6000 RPM, but the Eaton E-Locker I used to have blew up after that. I tried one launch @ 5k with the TruTrak and it bound up tight, almost destroying it, thus the lower launch RPM. I also don't mat the throttle at launch - that just whiplashes the blower for no good reason - I hold it just at the point where the 2-step starts to limit - then mat it as I release the clutch in one smooth motion - right foot down, left foot up simultaneously.

So my question is - why is it a problem to launch a GT500 with a consistent amount of energy stored in the flywheel? I could see if one had an aluminum flywheel and held the accelerator to the floor while sidestepping the clutch, but that wouldn't work very well anyway and would potentially damage the blower (normally the case) or crankshaft in the case of the GT500 which seems to have a wimpy nose.

I think a blanket "never ever use a 2-step" assumes the worst case scenario. I can see a vendor issuing caution, but there are ways to successfully use such a device. The electronic throttle makes it all the easier to hold the throttle at a set position and release it smoothly at launch, doesn't mean a human isn't capable of doing the same thing.

500_man

Established Member
^ How much boost are you making when on the 2 step?

Hmmm, I would have expected none since the engine isn't loaded, but looking at several datalogs from last fall, boost builds to 9-11 psi in the split-second I'm releasing the clutch but before the 2-step is released and the car starts moving.

Users who are viewing this thread