Building motor need advice

DsG Cobra 03

Established Member
I'm thinking of building my 13 5.0 motor now I don't want to go insane so I was thinking can I get the rotating assembly off a 302 and put it into my car ? Is that possible ? Have people done it ? How much HP will it be good for if I were done?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Do you mean Boss 302, if so you can swap the Pistons and rods in. I believe the Boss has same compression as GT so horsepower gains will be minimal if anything. However, they will be able to handle quite a bit more power than your current bottom end.

What are the plans for your car? If you plan on forced induction you might as well save for a forged bottom end. If your going to take it apart, upgrade it once and be done with it. If you are on a budget the boss set up is proven to make some good power. Best of luck

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

DsG Cobra 03

Established Member
Do you mean Boss 302, if so you can swap the Pistons and rods in. I believe the Boss has same compression as GT so horsepower gains will be minimal if anything. However, they will be able to handle quite a bit more power than your current bottom end.

What are the plans for your car? If you plan on forced induction you might as well save for a forged bottom end. If your going to take it apart, upgrade it once and be done with it. If you are on a budget the boss set up is proven to make some good power. Best of luck

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
Yes I meant a boss 302 I am on a budget just want to be safe if I do go and slap a Procharger on it I know the 5.0 only hold up to 650 if I use the boss 302 assembly cuz I know it's forged what kinda power would it be able to hold ?

Zemedici

Established Member
You can procharge the factory motor without building anything.

Obviously not a F-1A or some shit, but a P-1SC or D-1 would work just fine. Just spend the money and get a quality tune.

Shaun@AED

The 2015+ short blocks are boss spec. I would do the following for 1000HP Prep:
1. Pull pistons to sand off sharp edges around valve reliefs
2. Check/regap rings for boost
3. Install new rod bolts
4. Install head studs

At that point the limit is the piston to wall clearance (which you can check and adjust by honing if you wish) and the non-sleeved block, assuming no detonation is....

DsG Cobra 03

Established Member
You can procharge the factory motor without building anything.

Obviously not a F-1A or some shit, but a P-1SC or D-1 would work just fine. Just spend the money and get a quality tune.

Yeah I know I can Procharge it but I'm looking to go a littler higher then 650 so I know I have to build I've heard boss 302 can hold like 800? That's a number I would want to have I'm just asking if it's possible and worth just getting a boss 302 assembly and putting it in

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DsG Cobra 03

Established Member
3. Install new rod bolts
4. Install head studs

At that point the limit is the piston to wall clearance (which you can check and adjust by honing if you wish) and the non-sleeved block, assuming no detonation is....

I have a 13 and I'm on a budget not looking for a 1k set up just looking for something north of 650 so I'm asking if a boss 302 assembly could get me there

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Technically, any amount of money you spend it considered a budget. But in this thread, I haven't seen a mention of what your budget actually is.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
3. Install new rod bolts
4. Install head studs

I haven't had a Boss or 15+ shortblock apart yet to view BUT guys on other forums say ALL the Coyote shortblocks are the same from 2011 to present? same pistons/rods/fasteners etc..?
I didn't think was the case?

Zemedici

Established Member
I haven't had a Boss or 15+ shortblock apart yet to view BUT guys on other forums say ALL the Coyote shortblocks are the same from 2011 to present? same pistons/rods/fasteners etc..?

its not. There are a lot of misinformed people out there.

15+ GT blocks are, as Sean said above, 13-14 Boss 302 blocks basically. That's one of the reasons they can handle the power they do. Our shop car made almost 4 digit power for a loooooong time on E85.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Are you doing the labor? If not 3k is pretty tight to forge a bottom end. If you're doing the work, you could probably scrounge up all of the parts and may still be able to afford getting the crank turned. But you're talking rods, pistons, bearings, non-reusable bolts. To top it off, you should do the OPG's while you're in there and the cost of the OPG parts is in the 3-400$ range alone.

Why not use the 3k to do the OPG's and all supporting timing parts, then procharge the motor. You could probably get to 700rwhp on a decent tune for a while.

Shaun@AED

I took my 16 apart and confirmed it has Boss rods and all coyotes have beefy rod bolts. Pistons are a re-design due to the larger valves in the 15's.

DsG Cobra 03

Established Member
Are you doing the labor? If not 3k is pretty tight to forge a bottom end. If you're doing the work, you could probably scrounge up all of the parts and may still be able to afford getting the crank turned. But you're talking rods, pistons, bearings, non-reusable bolts. To top it off, you should do the OPG's while you're in there and the cost of the OPG parts is in the 3-400$ range alone.

Why not use the 3k to do the OPG's and all supporting timing parts, then procharge the motor. You could probably get to 700rwhp on a decent tune for a while.
So that's still a bad budget even getting boss 302 internals ? I would of assumed boss 302 would be easier to come by and cheaper ? I have a local buddy that owns a machine shop doing it so labors not included lol

Users who are viewing this thread