Buying a used Raptor advice

Equalbracket

Established Member
So I kept passing this used 10' raptor in my favorite color scheme and the 6.2 with extended cab, finally had time and went and checked it out. Test drove it and it road a lot rougher and road walked more then I had imagined they would, but it had some pretty wide tires so I chalked it up to that. They wanted 34,500 for it which I thought was semi fair and got them down to 31,500 which I was happy with and they were giving me more for my trade in then I had even hoped for so in my mind it was an easy choice.

I still had this gut feeling I shouldn't do it, so I called my friend who works there and is manager for fleet sales and he had taken that truck in a trade in and told me to run, and to look at the carfax which they kept avoiding giving me. Sales manager pretty much demanded a reason why I changed my mind. He then prints out the carfax report and it shows it was in a single vehicle accident but "no damage" but it also said undercarriage damage, and I noticed when I crawled under to look it was clearly beat to shit, fender wheels were rubbed real bad so it had been bottomed out quite a bit. They wanted to say well its what the truck was made for.

So my question is to anyone who has bought a used Raptor, how did it turn out? Any regrets? Wasn't really something I was interested in but this one just caught my eye.

2dvrdpz.jpg

4a7191a

Established Member
I'd be wary buying one.
Some are used for road use only to look cool and others are severely ragged out. Kinda like the lightnings, really gotta check them out before purchasing.
On my lightning I was lied to about it from the owner.
It wasn't big stuff still it was a headache. Plus not knowing on my motor if it was a stock rebuild or a built motor is kinda a conundrum. But the things been apart and as far as I know factory long blocks come with an oil pan installed. :/
I'm sure some raptor owners will chime in soon op. :)

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
I have shopped some used ones (not driven) and i can say based on what you shared i would run from that truck. Probably plenty of pavement queens you could buy instead for a few grand more and a lot less worries.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Great lookin truck on the outside but you gotta go with your gut. With the new raptor out I'm sure you can find a better one.
It's location dependent, but I'm sure a search would bring up a few. Ford dealer down the street had 5 used ones sitting in the front row two weeks ago, think they're down to 3 currently.

Equalbracket

Established Member
LOL, I would have told him to **** off, that's why.

Well because they lost a sell solely because an employee of theirs, and don't want to risk any trouble for him I stayed as nice as possible, they deceived me and also the sales guy trying to guilt me by talking about just trying to put food on his family's table. And people like me waste his time everyday. I told him he could get a real job but that would mean he'd have to actually work.

I've bought 4 new Rams since 2011 from this place and I'm never going back.

I really did like the truck but wow it was pretty damn rough, regular bumps really road walked it at low speeds. I definitely won't buy a used one.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Raptors are like any other performance vehicle. Some will have been beat to death, some are pristine. Try shopping a WRX.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
So I kept passing this used 10' raptor in my favorite color scheme and the 6.2 with extended cab, finally had time and went and checked it out. Test drove it and it road a lot rougher and road walked more then I had imagined they would, but it had some pretty wide tires so I chalked it up to that. They wanted 34,500 for it which I thought was semi fair and got them down to 31,500 which I was happy with and they were giving me more for my trade in then I had even hoped for so in my mind it was an easy choice.

I still had this gut feeling I shouldn't do it, so I called my friend who works there and is manager for fleet sales and he had taken that truck in a trade in and told me to run, and to look at the carfax which they kept avoiding giving me. Sales manager pretty much demanded a reason why I changed my mind. He then prints out the carfax report and it shows it was in a single vehicle accident but "no damage" but it also said undercarriage damage, and I noticed when I crawled under to look it was clearly beat to shit, fender wheels were rubbed real bad so it had been bottomed out quite a bit. They wanted to say well its what the truck was made for.

So my question is to anyone who has bought a used Raptor, how did it turn out? Any regrets? Wasn't really something I was interested in but this one just caught my eye.

2dvrdpz.jpg

I think that looks awful. It looks like someone is trying to hide something or trying to make it look like a Raptor.
I've never seen the Raptor side sticker like this one has.

Look for one that's stock and clean. Also get oasis report before purchase.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Do they even make the extended cab version any longer? I wasn't even thinking about a new vehicle I saw that one and that package is just perfect to me. Minus all the junk on it. I had a questionable cobra purchase from an add on here, so just never know how it was treated, new seems like the safest way to go.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Do they even make the extended cab version any longer? I wasn't even thinking about a new vehicle I saw that one and that package is just perfect to me. Minus all the junk on it. I had a questionable cobra purchase from an add on here, so just never know how it was treated, new seems like the safest way to go.
Yes they do. Go to Ford and build one to your specs. No option runs 50k well optioned runs 56k.

Equalbracket

Established Member
OP do you have the trucks VIN? It looks very weird

I don't but I can get it. It is a raptor no doubt. But just a few tasteless mods that I would have removed, roll bar. There's two round LED lights on the hood near the windshield that make a ton of wind noise.

But this vehicle is out of the question. They claimed not to show me the carfax because it listed the accident as "no damage" but that just means he paid cash to fix it, it said undercarriage damage as well. As a soon as I learned who the previous owner was that was the final nail. I wouldn't want a single thing that guy ever owned.

I only sent them an email asking about the price as it wasnt listed at the time and I received 7 text messages, a voicemail AND a damn webcam video in my email, all from this dealership. Then more I thought about it that salesman attitude I'm just gonna be an equal dick and go above his head.

I absolutely freaking hate being swarmed by 10 con men in suits as soon as you pull up, and its the same type. If they weren't hustling cars they'd be hustling crack.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
It took me a while to find my now former one.

The first couple you could tell the truck was abused. Underside beat to hell, bed at an angle etc.

Just need to be patient as always when looking for a performance car/truck(offroad in this case). The one I ended up buying was a street queen. Clean underside, everything lined up and no signs of bottoming out.

Users who are viewing this thread