BWNBYU"s First Mod Motor = Vortech Air to Air and much more

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Good stuff man. I assume this is still stock motor? How much boost are you looking to run? What exhaust does the car have? I'm still waiting on my stuff from Vortech. I placed the order on the 18th of last month...how long does it take to make a mounting bracket and the other misc stuff?! :mj: I'm hoping to get everything next week so I can finish this thing.
Stock 40k mile motor.
9-10#. Never been afraid to lean on boost. I'd rather do that and keep the rpm down. Way less stress on the weak link which is the rods.
Car has bassani off road x and borla catback. Soon to see 3" bassani irs catback
Took about 18 days to get my order from Vortech

cbrown9064

Established Member
FWIW, I used a Scotchbrite on the shiny bits, going only one direction. See attached pics. Also, I thought I noted you were still contemplating what to do with the IAC pumbing. I used AN fittings with Goodyear InstaGrip TC hose (push lock). Also note the MAF was in that pipe with the 90 that attaches to the Vortech discharge pipe. I "hid" it under the blower. I did have some problems with MAF wash from the BOV closing at low RPM (think take off from stop light, eliminate vacuum, BOV closes causing a "rush" of air) and installed a Treadstone honeycomb in the end of the pipe the MAF is in. About 6" in front of the MAF.

Pics below...

brushedpipe.jpg

iac45.jpg

IAC180.jpg

IACBOV.jpg

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
IAC is welded to the bottom of the cast discharge. New intake hat is here and will be shaved with a new fitting welded to the passenger rear for the iac to feed.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
On another note.. I've grown a sick obsession to these Cobra Misano's... That's a bad thing because once I'm bitten it's hard to get over it... But $1899 EACH>>>
Still probably going to happen lol.. These, along with the Carbon Driven Carbon HVAC and Shifter bezels, as well as door pulls would be ORGASMIC

cobra seats by Matt Whidden, on Flickr

cobraseat1 by Matt Whidden, on Flickr

Wife has, hopefully, decided on Cobra Lemans for the convertible and Cobra Daytonas for the Cobra.

If she doesn't change her mind again.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Daytonas are very nice seats as well! Might be looking at them to save some weight on the white car.. Or Corbeau FX1's

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I've been having withdrawls lately so I burned a new chip for my 95 and took it for a quick spin today. (there's no snow once you get off my street)
Forgot how absolutely retarded fast this car is. If this 97 is half as fun as my 95, I'll always be a very happy man :)

24228550271_f211246c51_b.jpg
cockpit_1 by Matt Whidden, on Flickr

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
FWIW, I used a Scotchbrite on the shiny bits, going only one direction. See attached pics. Also, I thought I noted you were still contemplating what to do with the IAC pumbing. I used AN fittings with Goodyear InstaGrip TC hose (push lock). Also note the MAF was in that pipe with the 90 that attaches to the Vortech discharge pipe. I "hid" it under the blower. I did have some problems with MAF wash from the BOV closing at low RPM (think take off from stop light, eliminate vacuum, BOV closes causing a "rush" of air) and installed a Treadstone honeycomb in the end of the pipe the MAF is in. About 6" in front of the MAF.

Pics below...

brushedpipe.jpg

iac45.jpg

IAC180.jpg

IACBOV.jpg

How did you get the original nipple out of the intake to convert the IAC to AN line? Does it just pull out? Did you tap the intake at all for the new fitting or just screw it in?

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Daytonas are very nice seats as well! Might be looking at them to save some weight on the white car.. Or Corbeau FX1's

I thought about Corbeau GTSIIs for the GT and CR1s for the Cobra but read about them not holding up in accidents.

Car is mostly back together.. Just need to add coolant, burp, bleed the brakes, hook up the clutch cable, and install the quarterhorse.. Spent 2 days wiring the gauges in... Yeah.. ridiculous.. I know. But the wiring is flawless...
Here are some more pics of the progress.

gayges_4 by Matt Whidden, on Flickr

gayges_3 by Matt Whidden, on Flickr

gayges_2 by Matt Whidden, on Flickr

gayges_1 by Matt Whidden, on Flickr

gayges by Matt Whidden, on Flickr

gayges_5 by Matt Whidden, on Flickr

What gauges did you get and what company are they from.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I thought about Corbeau GTSIIs for the GT and CR1s for the Cobra but read about them not holding up in accidents.

What gauges did you get and what company are they from.
They are dual Aeroforce interceptors and an innovate DLG - 1 dual wideband. The interceptors are amazing. They plug into the obd2 port and can read anything that a scan tool could. I can have them scroll through 16 different sensors at one time. Then I added a GM 2 bar map sensor for boost and vacuum. Wasn't cheap though, all in all there is $1,000 in the gauge setup

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Just a quick update.. Have been busy packing and getting the white car back to storage, which was a major pita with snow in the storage units.. Had to borrow some Subaru wheels with snowtires to get it put away lol..
Had a few bugs with the Red Car. It was comforting to know that I wired the COP plugs correctly and the car runs, but not well. The MAF was only seeing .1 Volt at idle so I obviously had a vacuum leak.. Built a boost leak tester and hooked it up. Getting the maf piping and powerpipe off with the bumpers on is a bitch, but it is d able lol.. Apparently I missed the vac line under the throttle body.. That cured most of the leak but it urns out the IAC is leaking badly around its seams. Weird.. Worked fine when removed... So, started the car again but the drivers bank was running 10x the duty cycle of the passengers side. Obviously have an exhaust leak.. Looks like I also forgot to cap 1 . of the 3 EGR bungs. WHoops

GOt that capped and car runs much better but doesn't want to idle because the IAC is dead.. I overnighted one from Amazon and they put the wrong IAC in the Motorcraft box....they ****ed me..

I leave for The East coast on SUnday so that's where I will ahve to leave off..Except that my 10th Anniversary Seats get here tomorrow and I'm sure I'll throw them in and also take a video of my horrendously loud BOV lol..

Here are the latest pics of her back on the ground on my FR500's..

intercooler by Matt Whidden, on Flickr

final form by Matt Whidden, on Flickr

marshall_cobra

Established Member
Love the look and progress your making on it.. Hoping to supercharge my 98 in a year or two. Quick question, did you install the springs with the iso's ? I'm thinking about leaving atleast one iso out in the front and rear when install my h&r's.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I played with the Heit a bit but we're at sitting currently is the upper ISO installed in the front and no ice O anywhere else

uploadfromtaptalk1452977887548.jpg

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I also have X 2 ball joints which lower another half inch in the front so I would probably leave all the ISOs out if I were you. You will definitely want a bump steer kit and caster camber plates as well

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Here's a quick vid.. Car wants to die because the IAC is stuck shut.. The BOV is LOUD AS ****.. I wish I could have heard the blower whining a little better.. I LOVE that sound and you don't get it on a pushrod car
[video=youtube;3Yok8wJHEN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yok8wJHEN0[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread