C&D- Viper returning

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
You will always have more fun driving on a road course.
Most of my drag racing was sub 8 sec in a quarter. Street tires and no bars.

After you get used to that, you're hooked.

I still drive a friend's grudge car from time to time. It puts down about the same times my bike did. In my opinion the bikes were easy. That little Mustang has the ability to scare the crap out of you. Maybe I'm claustrophobic? Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Recon

Established Member
I wish they never killed it, but I’m ok with a V8 as a base model option. A V8 option could have the viper priced at a lower trim corvette level. Being the base model Viper was more than a Z06. More accessible to the masses and could increase sales, to justify keeping the Viper in production.
Drove a 94 and I loved the “it wants to kill you” mentality of the car.

Pick your poison.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I wish they never killed it, but I’m ok with a V8 as a base model option. A V8 option could have the viper priced at a lower trim corvette level. Being the base model Viper was more than a Z06. More accessible to the masses and could increase sales, to justify keeping the Viper in production.
Drove a 94 and I loved the “it wants to kill you” mentality of the car.

Pick your poison.
In my opinion a Viper needs a V10.

blk02edge

Established Member
I am a drag racer, but believe it or not, I have ran several SCCA races. I can't hang with the fast guys on a road course, but I have had a lot of fun in the right environment.

Should I admit that I've also ran dirt oval a few times as well? I will say that it is a lot of fun. Not something I want to do all if the time, but fun nonetheless.

what kind of dirt oval? a buddy of mine ran sprints in the 600cc class. pure insane even at that lower level.
In it's day, either car was capable. It was the drivers who are not.
True, I know a lot of people like to only compare them to the cars in it's day but fact is you can buy anything more modern too and have a better time.... But if you are like my dad (who owns my ex GTS) He can't drive worth shit and loves to just go cruise and occasionally take it to the track and spin on his out lap and come in blaming cold tires haha.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've driven a few, and I look forward to owning one at some point. They are absolutely amazing. I really love the early 90s models. Raw monsters without any mercy.

Sure, they lack the power of today's cars, but they make up for it in appearance and fun.

Yeah, raw indeed. Refinement has never been a Viper strong suit, especially '90s models. Tack on a high sticker price and that's why, IMO, Viper sales went south. IF it, or something like it, ever makes production, I hope that it's more refined.

I remember back in 1997, I was at Callaway Cars in Old Lyme, CT have one of their engines installed in my '94 Camaro, along with a list of other mods. Their chief engineer was giving me a tour of the facility and their happened to be a Viper in the shop for a customer in the Middle East. I was honestly shocked at how crude the chassis was. The engineer pointed out a number of other idiosyncrasies. I loved the design and overall package, but the overall crudeness couldn't be ignored.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
what kind of dirt oval? a buddy of mine ran sprints in the 600cc class. pure insane even at that lower level.
True, I know a lot of people like to only compare them to the cars in it's day but fact is you can buy anything more modern too and have a better time.... But if you are like my dad (who owns my ex GTS) He can't drive worth shit and loves to just go cruise and occasionally take it to the track and spin on his out lap and come in blaming cold tires haha.
I have driven late model, street, and pure stock, as well as a couple classic VW Beetles. I haven't raced enough to say I am good at it. I can only say I didn't die.

The Late Model guys are pros, and they drive as such. Everyone else blends in demolition driving with a little racing.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Yeah, raw indeed. Refinement has never been a Viper strong suit, especially '90s models. Tack on a high sticker price and that's why, IMO, Viper sales went south. IF it, or something like it, ever makes production, I hope that it's more refined.

I remember back in 1997, I was at Callaway Cars in Old Lyme, CT have one of their engines installed in my '94 Camaro, along with a list of other mods. Their chief engineer was giving me a tour of the facility and their happened to be a Viper in the shop for a customer in the Middle East. I was honestly shocked at how crude the chassis was. The engineer pointed out a number of other idiosyncrasies. I loved the design and overall package, but the overall crudeness couldn't be ignored.
Take a look at early Lambo frames. They make the early Vipers look refined and perfect.

snakecharmer

Established Member
Every time I have driven a Viper, I have happily handed the keys back. I love the looks, but the car is not livable. That said, I really hope it comes back as that will help keep Chevrolet on its toes with the vette.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For you guys that dont like the Viper, take one to the track.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

blk02edge

Established Member
For you guys that dont like the Viper, take one to the track.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk
I have, and still do almost every weekend.
I have not drive an ACR on track although I have done a few ride alongs in a gen 5 acr extreme aero with pro driver and yea, thats a hell of a car

My94GT

Established Member
It’s funny all the viper owners are like now way it’ll come back. I personally would be shocked not to see it back. If it does come back it’ll be interesting to see how it compares to the gen V as that’s what I want and I’ll be looking to buy another toy in a couple years.

Recon

Established Member
In my opinion a Viper needs a V10.

I agree, but if it means that the Viper will live; I’m willing to accept a V8 and even auto option. But it has to have a V10 and man trans still. I wouldn’t mind an 392 as a base engine, though. I loved the one I drove. It’s just something about the it wants to kill you mentality that the vipers have that appeals to me.

Pick your poison.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I agree, but if it means that the Viper will live; I’m willing to accept a V8 and even auto option. But it has to have a V10 and man trans still. I wouldn’t mind an 392 as a base engine, though. I loved the one I drove. It’s just something about the it wants to kill you mentality that the vipers have that appeals to me.

Pick your poison.
Nope, V10 or nothing.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
It’s funny all the viper owners are like now way it’ll come back. I personally would be shocked not to see it back. If it does come back it’ll be interesting to see how it compares to the gen V as that’s what I want and I’ll be looking to buy another toy in a couple years.
If it does come back it just wont be the same. This will probably drive prices of the gen V up since the next one will have a v8 and available in auto or DCT.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
For one reason alone it makes sense the Viper would come back and that is lower pricing. If it's meant to appeal to a wider market with a throaty V8 and lower cost, I can certainly see the bean counters OKing this as something to offer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread