C6 Vette guys smoking crack, funny stuff

jimwood

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Yeah good points, but what happens when the Z06 guys says I'll give it a 200 shot then bye bye. It's a never ending argument

Yeah but the best argument is, is that the new corvette isn't selling. Now, I know some people say its this and that. But, it just isnt selling well. I have never remembered when GM is discounting a first year vette. Thats great. The best vette ever, too bad it doesn't sell.

For every shelby sold there will be 4 vettes sitting on the lot. :whine:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
jimwood said:
My prediction with the piss poor design and lagging sales, corvette gets redesigned in two years or gets discontinued altogether. GM is hurting bad. They cant afford to carry a line that doesnt make money. GM just changed the steering wheel of the C6, if it was selling well that wouldnt have happened. Plus every chevy dealer is packed to the gills with the C6. Let them say what they want. The new Shelby will beat them on the track and the strip, with some aftermarket parts of course and a pulley. But hell you still have 20k left over and are driving a much rarer vehicle: 35k vettes/year to 5k shelbys.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :bored:

The Corvette is about as likely to get shelved in the next 2 years as an asteroid is likely to hit earth, directly on your head. The Corvette makes General Motors a substantial amount of profit. It is not some kind of loss leader.

They changed the wheel because people bitched. End of story. It was in the works regardless of any sales number.

And I'm not going to bother typing out the sales numbers. I'm going to tell you to go buy a copy of Automotive News and see them yourself. If selling ~2000 50 thousand dollar sports cars a month is slow... :bored:

A C6 does not cost 20k more than the Shelby. The base price of the C6 is 44k. The base price of the Shelby will be ~40k.

They've built 7,400 C6's in the First 4 months of 05. That's on pace for ~22k. They will build at least 7500 Shelby Cobras, and Hau Thai-Tang has stated that they will build as many as market demand dictates.

Please, if you just have to post, at least do so with a minimal knowledge of fact.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
jimwood said:
Yeah but the best argument is, is that the new corvette isn't selling. Now, I know some people say its this and that. But, it just isnt selling well. I have never remembered when GM is discounting a first year vette. Thats great. The best vette ever, too bad it doesn't sell.

Thats not too fair. How about counting all the mustangs instead of the most limited edition one. :shrug: Just playing devils advocate. :)

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
jimwood said:

Dude, I can gar-aun-****ing-tee you have absolutely no proof to back that up.

Hi, my name is fallacy of composition and I saw one dealer with a bunch of C6's so all dealers have C6's because no one is buying them.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The DBK said:

The Corvette is about as likely to get shelved in the next 2 years as an asteroid is likely to hit earth, directly on your head. The Corvette makes General Motors a substantial amount of profit. It is not some kind of loss leader.

They changed the wheel because people bitched. End of story. It was in the works regardless of any sales number.

And I'm not going to bother typing out the sales numbers. I'm going to tell you to go buy a copy of Automotive News and see them yourself. If selling ~2000 50 thousand dollar sports cars a month is slow... :bored:

A C6 does not cost 20k more than the Shelby. The base price of the C6 is 44k. The base price of the Shelby will be ~40k.

They've built 7,400 C6's in the First 4 months of 05. That's on pace for ~22k. They will build at least 7500 Shelby Cobras, and Hau Thai-Tang has stated that they will build as many as market demand dictates.

Please, if you just have to post, at least do so with a minimal knowledge of fact.

Very good points. I thought GM sold almost every Corvette they could possibly build and were thinking of expanding production

Last edited:

SVT-03

Established Member
The Z51-C6 vette does 0-60 in 4.1 (motortrend) and this new Cobra is estimated at 4.5 sec 0-60... what's up with that? does anyone know what 1/4 mile times are estimated for both these? plus, I've been hearing that the new z06 is going to be doing 0-60 in the 3.3 - 3.5 range (great driver) and about 11.4 1/4 mile. seems like a very generous guess, but it's hard to argue with a 427 and 3100+ lbs.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
SVT-03 said:
The Z51-C6 vette does 0-60 in 4.1 (motortrend) and this new Cobra is estimated at 4.5 sec 0-60... what's up with that? does anyone know what 1/4 mile times are estimated for both these? plus, I've been hearing that the new z06 is going to be doing 0-60 in the 3.3 - 3.5 range (great driver) and about 11.4 1/4 mile. seems like a very generous guess, but it's hard to argue with a 427 and 3100+ lbs.

I wouldn't take their estimates too seriously

Orange Poison

Established Member
Common responses, 'they need to put a blower on their to make power' ' its still a Ford' 'Its no Vett', 'poor mans ride' from from inbred idiots than drive around in 80's and early 90's vettes that retail at 8 grand on a good day.

:lol:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Most of the guys I encounter in Vetts are middle aged guys who just like to cruise around and don't wanna "play". The new Corvetts are awsome cars. I was actually considering buying one but I'm not into the "dick-Mo' Playboy" image they project. Believe it or not I would feel kinda stupid driving one. It screams "YOU LOOK'N AT ME, YEA I'M TALKING TO YOU!.........LOOK AT ME!!!! HAY, DON'T YOU WISH YOU WERE ME? EXCUSE ME BUT I DRIVE A VETT......HELLO......... :cuss:

Mustang drivers (the fast ones at least) on the otherhand are always out looking to pick a fight (they alway got that grin on their face and usually have grease under their fingernails). Mustangs are very "raw" and are the best sounding vehicles on the planet by far! :pop:

I read some of those post on the vett sites. Those guys seem to be very threatend by the Cobra :poke: and feel they need to bash it to provide comfort to one another. A few of them are pretty smart and in the know but a lot a "dick Mo's"

I love my Cobra :bowdown:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
It must suck to be a Mustang hating, ls1 f-body/gto lover right now. :-D

Last edited:

jimwood

Established Member
The DBK said:

Get a clue man. GM is in redink. GTO is getting discontinued with most other rearwheel cars, and Pontiac or Buick are about to get scrapped.

Sales of the vette are hurting. To think or say otherwise comes from ignorance. Facts are facts, if the car is selling you dont discount it. I have never know of a first year corvette to be discounted at all.

So stop mouthing off with your insecurities. By the way I shorted the shit out of GM stock with the release of the C6, and that whole lineup, and it just paid out today. Too bad you dont what the hell it means to short stocks. :loser:

You stated that the vette makes them a substantial amount of profit. BWAHAHAAHAHAHAH. That shows that you know shit brother. Its the grocery getters, trucks, SUVS, and sedans that make the money. Stupid Ass you think 35k cars a year for GM makes "substantial" profit. SHUT THE F-UCK UP and think about it. Thats shit to GM. GM makes money off of selling volume. And here you come, the corvette makes "substantial" profit. DUMB ASS.

Last edited:

jimwood

Established Member
The DBK said:

They've built 7,400 C6's in the First 4 months of 05. That's on pace for ~22k.

I love shooting fish in the barrel. Lets do the math together so you dont get confused. 2,000 cars a month, hmmm thats 24k cars a year (you estimated 22k, but hey lets give you the benefit of the doubt in case July is a good month :D ). Now GM is making 35k vettes a year. Lets substract sales from build numbers. 24k (sold) minus 35k (made) equals 11k cars sitting on lots. Now, when you have supply at roughly 31% more than demand you have problems. Thats slow sales.:idea:

Plus, this is the first model year and you would expect to have the most interest.

Let me guess your still in school. You think your ready to go out into the real world. Sorry bro, your going to get rolled hard when you graduate, unless you learn to add and substract. :rollseyes

Last edited:

Terminator

Established Member
OH BOY!! this is gonna turn into a slugfest.

I don't know guy's, DBK (IMO) is a well informed person based on many of his post that I have read.

GTO_Scott

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
It must suck to be a Mustang hating, ls1 f-body/gto lover right now. :-D

I don't hate the 05+ Mustang, I almost bought a 05 GT before I got my 04 GTO, I didn't have the headroom nor legroom in the 05 Stang (console dug into my gas pedal leg) so I really couldn't buy one and be happy.

Right now, there is no 2007 Shelby, it won't even be on the road (in very limited production) until 2006, over a year away. They stopped producing the LS1 F-body in 2002, so you are talking about a car that hasn't been produced for 3 model years.

I know several GTO owners that are looking forward to purchasing a 2007 Shelby, down the road, when they are avaliable. Cars are cars just like anything else in life - doesn't matter who makes em, just matters if it has what you want for your $$$. :beer:

I bought my 04 GTO for $26k (I didn't have the GM card points to give me up to $5k more off) which was under what they wanted for 05 GT, with $3k to $5k markup. So if you look at it this way, I have around $18k or more to play with on the 04 GTO that would bring it up to price on the 2007 Shelby at real price with markup.

Same deal with all the 03 and 04 Cobra owners who got their's well under $35k after the 05 was coming.

All it takes is money :thumbsup:

03DOHC

Established Member
If there's a slugfest keep it on topic and don't get creative and try to bypass the word filters.

PoisonSnake

Banned
I think it's lame when they say "ohh you have to put a blower to make it fanst" who cares.. if it's fast it's fast blower or not. so are they contradicting themselves because a LOT of vette owners put nitrous so what they need 150 shot to be fast? lol..

why are they even comparing the 06 Z06?? That bitch will cost 70 grand. So it's like they're comparing a 70 grand car to a 40 grand car...lame....So it's pretty sad if a pullied GT500 would hang with it.. or even beat it on the other hand...

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I dug up some sales vs production number so everyone can stop speculating

For 2003 Sales/Production

Corvette ~28000/35500
Mustang ~140000/153000

Fourcam330

Established Member
CompOrange04 said:
the Chebby guys are just jealous they got caught with their ****s in their hands when Ford decided to build a small block and blow it for much $$$ under a 427 cubic inch all aluminum block. I mean yeah the debate goes on and on if they supercharge a 427 hell yeah it will demolish our cars but can you put it to the ground??? I think our cars have more of a capability to put the power to the ground with mods than the light assed z06. Just my $.02

They're not going to put a blower on an 11:1+ motor, more than likely the power adder of choice is going to be spray.
Regardless, I disagree with your/their statement about them putting on a blower and laying waste to the GT500. There are going to be a few 900-1000rwhp TT GT motors (pump gas) debuting in the near future.
As punched and poked as the 7.0L GM block is, I don't think it's a great candidate for boost either.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
jguerrero said:
(Disclaimer------- I am not a Chevy hater, in addition to my 03 Cobra, I owned a 01 Camaro SS and my wife has a 04 Pontiac GT0), and I originally sold my Cobra to buy a C6 until I got pissed off with all the constraints on the car, so I am totally unbiased)

I have been reading a lot of other car type forums and getting their response to the new Cobra, for the most part it is very good, they like the car. The vette people are funny though. Common responses, 'they need to put a blower on their to make power' ' its still a Ford' 'Its no Vett', 'poor mans ride' from from inbred idiots than drive around in 80's and early 90's vettes that retail at 8 grand on a good day.

Arguments that I am seeing pop up:

1)The argument that gets me the most from the Chevy guys is, 'take that blower off that car and it only make 300 hp'', lol, no shit, you see the compression its running compared to your LS2 and LS6's.

2)'It only puts out 450 hp' out of 5.4 supercharged engine, a LS2 would put out 600'., wow is all I can say.If they think that this car will not put out 500 crank easy on a severely detuned and corked up engine they are smoking even more crack. Didnt they see what the 03 Cobras did? Oh wait they still think they only run high 13's at the track and cant touch a C5.

3) 'That car will not hold a candle to the wind on a new C6 vette, let alone a Z06 in straight line or handling. I see the Z06 smoking the new Cobra stock( until the pulleys and tunes come in at least :coolman: ), but the standard C6, they are putting out slower times than the C5 vette did. Hell the stock 03 Cobra is faster straight line than the C6,lol. As far as handling, are they aware that the current platform won first and second place in GrandAM racing against the best of Germany and Japan? Ask them how they like those leaf springs in the back.

4) 'Only people that would buy that car are poor people that cant afford a vette'. Ya the estimated base of the 40k Cobra is so far off the 44k base price of a C6 vette :idea: . And to make a higher end car, Chevy will have to offer the Z06 at 60+k to outrun the GT500. I forgot only vette people have money. The GT500 is just as good looking, will have the same quality as Chevy (Ive been in the C6s alot as I was goign to buy one, and its not all that beleive me)

5) And to top it all, 'You should not compare the GT500 to the standard C6, compare it to the Z06 since its a special model and has a supercharger'. First we will have to note the 20-30k price difference form the GT500 and the CObra, and second, are we admitting that Cobra is better than the standard C6 vette. That statement has just proved what Ford/SVT had been planning all along, the Cobra to take out the vette, screw the GTO, they went straight to the the top and killed it. And the 190,000 GT and V6 mustangs that will be out on the road is only more proof that Ford must be doing it right.

...and the list goes on and on, there are some good people on those boards too, that have good inputs, but most of them are just idiots. Do you feel fear in the air?
Very well put. I couldn't of said it better. It's funny that since the cobras are blown the bowtie crowd cries blower, blower, blower...but it's got a blower!! SO WHAT, at least ford can make a reliable blower motor!! It's funny how when the 5.0's had to compete with the old 350's...and would burn them by the way...they didn't have much to say. When the first cobra with a 281 cubic inch motor came out in 96, and would burn the F-bodies, the GM faithful didn't have much to say. It's funny how people that have a sports car..and get burnt by a freikin pick-up (lightning)...have only "but it's blown" as there defense. Wait until the Adrenaline unleashes it's rath. The corvette owners are not going to have worry about the G.T. 500, it's the little SPORT TRAC that will be handing them their asses!! HA!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread