C7 Z07 vs GT-R Nismo

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
People thought the new Z06 was going to be the King, but reality is that behind every GT-R is a Z06. :lol:

To be fair, this is not the replacement for the ZR1 but simply the mid level vette. The GTR is perfected at this point as it is several years old. Slight changes were made over the years to make it what it is today.

This is the first year for the C7 Z and only second of this generation of Corvette. Unlike many on here and around the Internet I feel it is too soon to write off the car. Then again I'm not brand loyal or a fanboy.

96lazervert

Established Member
The problem here is the gtr is a me too car. Everyone behind the wheel can run the same time. Personally I can't get into a car that my wife can run the same time as me in it also. Takes the driver out of the equation. But, they do put up the numbers none the less.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
That heat soak or tune or whatever is killing the Z. Chevy needs to figure that out. Nice win for the GTR!

I was looking at some raw numbers the other day... In fastest C&D testes the Z06 does 0-100 in 6.8 the hellcat charger does 7.2... But from 100-150 takes 11 seconds in the Vette and just 8.6 seconds in the hellcat charger... That shows there is a high speed drag imo

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
That heat soak or tune or whatever is killing the Z. Chevy needs to figure that out. Nice win for the GTR!

I was looking at some raw numbers the other day... In fastest C&D testes the Z06 does 0-100 in 6.8 the hellcat charger does 7.2... But from 100-150 takes 11 seconds in the Vette and just 8.6 seconds in the hellcat charger... That shows there is a high speed drag imo

That's the downforce from all the aero bits; most specifically the rear wing. Downforce creates huge amounts of drag. That's also why I'm not expecting to see great acceleration numbers on the big end from the GT350R.

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
That's the downforce from all the aero bits; most specifically the rear wing. Downforce creates huge amounts of drag. That's also why I'm not expecting to see great acceleration numbers on the big end from the GT350R.

True but some of it is also rising IAT2 and timing pull because of it.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
True but some of it is also rising IAT2 and timing pull because of it.

That, too. The combination of both is hurting the car big time WRT big end acceleration. But I bet it could take a 100MPH sweeper like it's a slot car.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
So much for being the king of road courses. Thats the reason all the vette nutt huggers gave for it being so disappointing in a straight line. Then it goes out to a road course and gets bitch slapped by a heavier, less powerful, less brake, less tire and older platform GTR. Good job GM good job. It makes for a hell of a $100k+ auto x car.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
So much for being the king of road courses. Thats the reason all the vette nutt huggers gave for it being so disappointing in a straight line. Then it goes out to a road course and gets bitch slapped by a heavier, less powerful, less brake, less tire and older platform GTR. Good job GM good job. It makes for a hell of a $100k+ auto x car.
Once they get the heat soak and issues sorted out + run an auto I think they will decimate that GTR time.
A ton of down force, wider tires, lighter weight and more power, this thing will haul ass for sure.

I'm eagerly waiting to see what Dodge does with the ACR, I think they should use a dual clutch tranny, because manuals are too slow. Return of the RING KING!!!

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I love how everyone here jumps on the "lets hate the new z06" bandwagon... Lmao... Is the GTR the better machine around the track on this test? Sure, by 1.4 sec.

If you dont realize how incredibly impressive it is for a rear wheel drive car with a manual transmission to be that close to the behemoth of track cars such as this GTR, you are an idiot.

Which car would I pick? The GTR. But Im still not stupid enough to try and down play the Z06.

earico

Established Member
I love how everyone here jumps on the "lets hate the new z06" bandwagon... Lmao... Is the GTR the better machine around the track on this test? Sure, by 1.4 sec.

If you dont realize how incredibly impressive it is for a rear wheel drive car with a manual transmission to be that close to the behemoth of track cars such as this GTR, you are an idiot.

Which car would I pick? The GTR. But Im still not stupid enough to try and down play the Z06.

Some are downplaying yes but some like me are just pointing out it is seriously flawed. On paper it has stats that blow your mind but out in the real world it's just not performing up to those stats. The potential is there but that OEM tune and heat issue is real. Let's not downplay the fact the car is crippled from the factory.

earico

Established Member
Quoted from CF: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3587750-simple-facts-about-the-new-z06.html

As pointed by another forum member Achmed who pulled some historic C&D test data and calculated 100 to 150 mph roll times for these cars:
C6ZR1: 9.1
C6Z06: 9.4
911 Turbo S: 10.0
SRT Viper: 10.2
GTR: 10.6
C7Z: 11.0
911S: 13.1

Speaking of digging up old info, I also summarized most of the same cars 0-100:

911 turbo S - 6.5
C7 Z06 - 6.8
GTR - 7.2
SRT Viper - 7.6
ZR1 - 7.7

0-100 it's faster than than most of those cars but 100-150 if falls off fast. Some argue it's all that down force and sure that's some of it. But to me it's really showing the heat soak on a long pull.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Your own post easily contributes to my point, even with those new car "gremlins" the car performs. So much so, that it can go toe to toe with the new track focused nismo GTR with its AWD and law of physics defying transmission. No other common car will do that. Not the GT500, c6z06, z28, Hellcat, etc...

The new Z06 will only continue to get better, with more time, the handicaps will be easily addressed.

Ironic that it actually reminds me of when the GTR came out, transmission had some issues that were later tweaked and sorted out, which eventually aided the car in becoming the icon it is today.

kaz109

Established Member
Your own post easily contributes to my point, even with those new car "gremlins" the car performs. So much so, that it can go toe to toe with the new track focused nismo GTR with its AWD and law of physics defying transmission. No other common car will do that. Not the GT500, c6z06, z28, Hellcat, etc...

The new Z06 will only continue to get better, with more time, the handicaps will be easily addressed.

Ironic that it actually reminds me of when the GTR came out, transmission had some issues that were later tweaked and sorted out, which eventually aided the car in becoming the icon it is today.

With this statement you are acting like it doesn't have every single other advantage. It damn well should be able to go toe to toe given its weight,power,brakes,tires etc etc....You are giving it praise for it "keeping up" like it doesn't have any advantages.

earico

Established Member

1.4 seconds behind per lap is not going "toe to toe". Look at the map I posted and look how far by distance that is per lap.

The Z is lighter, has more HP, has ceramic brakes, has stickier tires and etc. Yet it's still loosing by a large margin to a car that has been out for 7 years. I don't think that deserves an ounce of praise....yet.

Don't get me wrong I actually like the Z and want it to do well. However this is a lot more than first year blues. GM blew this. Hopefully they regroup and fix it.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
With this statement you are acting like it doesn't have every single other advantage. It damn well should be able to go toe to toe given its weight,power,brakes,tires etc etc....You are giving it praise for it "keeping up" like it doesn't have any advantages.

Point is that the c7z is a ****ing animal on the track and with plenty of untapped potential left, whether you wanna give it props or not, totally up to you.

1.4 seconds behind per lap is not going "toe to toe". Look at the map I posted and look how far by distance that is per lap.

The Z is lighter, has more HP, has ceramic brakes, has stickier tires and etc. Yet it's still loosing by a large margin to a car that has been out for 7 years. I don't think that deserves an ounce of praise....yet.

Don't get me wrong I actually like the Z and want it to do well. However this is a lot more than first year blues. GM blew this. Hopefully they regroup and fix it.

I did look at it and to me the 1.4 sec difference is not that huge of a difference. Especially with the small issues that are in need of sorting. Once all the wrinkles are ironed out, I predict the margin will only get much smaller.

So what if the nismo GTR beat the c7z, i guess McLaren is also a fail since their own 650S is also slower to the Nismo. Lets also not forget that the c7z beat the below listed cars at the same track:

-13 911 GT3
-08 C6 ZR1
-08 GTR
-08 Viper SRT-10
-08 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
-04 Ford GT

And the list goes on....

You see glass half empty and I see it half full...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread