CAI vs Stock

kingnut

Established Member
Exactly. To those who are tired of the topic don't open it. I also said at the very beginning that this was a dead horse issue but searches wouldn't turn up any answer.

I really wanted Shaun to step in with his $0.02. I've seen posts from him showing cars running 10's with the factory airbox and I've seen dyno graphs from him with a CAI.

Thank you....

if all you wanted to know was shauns opinion... then why didnt you pm or email him directly?

whatwhine

Established Member
The benefit of the K&N Drop in is that it is reusable vs. throwaway paper filters. $60 for K&N that you keep for life or $30 for paper filter that needs replacing every 15,000 miles. Math is simple for me, not expecting any performance gains from it.

Few dyno tests I read about state there was actually a loss in power with it. I never liked kn anyway. I'll just stick to fords stuff until I'm at a point where it's needed. Probably won't happen cause I'll go FI first lol

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
jlt posted dyno's of stock vs their CAI and it picked up 25hp from 3000 to 5000 rpms without a tune. but there are a ton of threads the OP could go read back through to get answers. im sure this one will be another fire fight.

problem is how could that safely be done without a tune? any CAI that changes MAF housing must be tuned to run properly?

jayman33

I think its all in the tune, with that being said I think a tuner can pull a few more HP out of the CAI than the Stock airbox. With an 8MB computer it truly is all in the tune. I've gone through 3 tuners til I stopped with the one I have.

SuperTorched

Established Member
Hahahaha then why waste your time.posting when you don't even have a s197

I owned one but you probably didn't even bother to look in my sig. Either that or you think since I sold it Im not allowed to post in a thread about a s197 :loser:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I owned one but you probably didn't even bother to look in my sig. Either that or you think since I sold it Im not allowed to post in a thread about a s197 :loser:

didnt care to look since you were a bears fan :nonono:. you can post in any thread you want, doesnt mean it matters to anyone :sleeping:

SteedaBrandon

I know it is a dead horse subject. Shaun@AED posted that he had a before and after dyno graph. I searched and I can't seem to find it.

I'm torn on the CAI, is it worth $300 or not. I know what the manufacturers say. I want proof.... :pop:
I have attached a dyno sheet that was a test we did about a year and a half ago of the stock airbox vs our Steeda cold air.

On this test the car was loaded with a basic tune with no cam timing changes just so we could have a higher rev limiter that way we could rev the engine to the same RPM with both intakes without running into a limiter. Ignition timing was the same for both tunes.

The results show a “peak” gain of only 5 horsepower, but there is a lot more there if you read the dyno sheet. Gains started at about 4,500, with gains of 6 to 9 horsepower between 4,500 and 5,000. Between 5,300 and 6,100 gains were 7 to 10 horsepower. And between 6,700 and 7,200 the gains were an impressive 12 to 15 horsepower. So you can see measurable gains from a cold air intake.

2011STOCKBOXVS95MMCAI.jpg

strats03svt

GOT FAST?
Established Member
I have attached a dyno sheet that was a test we did about a year and a half ago of the stock airbox vs our Steeda cold air.

On this test the car was loaded with a basic tune with no cam timing changes just so we could have a higher rev limiter that way we could rev the engine to the same RPM with both intakes without running into a limiter. Ignition timing was the same for both tunes.

The results show a “peak” gain of only 5 horsepower, but there is a lot more there if you read the dyno sheet. Gains started at about 4,500, with gains of 6 to 9 horsepower between 4,500 and 5,000. Between 5,300 and 6,100 gains were 7 to 10 horsepower. And between 6,700 and 7,200 the gains were an impressive 12 to 15 horsepower. So you can see measurable gains from a cold air intake.

2011STOCKBOXVS95MMCAI.jpg

How safe is it to run a Steeda cai with a stock tune?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Seemed to matter to you since you took the time to comment with the first quote above... So once again :loser:

Just my entertainment. But now that I looked at your Sig I see you haven't always made the right choice when it comes cars. I'll give you credit for one thing at least you bought a cobra. Maybe now you'll actually learn something. :bash:

SuperTorched

Established Member
Just my entertainment. But now that I looked at your Sig I see you haven't always made the right choice when it comes cars. I'll give you credit for one thing at least you bought a cobra. Maybe now you'll actually learn something. :bash:

Thanks for giving me credit for buying the cobra. And about making the right choices, I just turned 20 years old... :beer:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Thanks for giving me credit for buying the cobra. And about making the right choices, I just turned 20 years old... :beer:

Well then late happy bday an enjoy the cobra. They are one Hell of a car with the right mods an done right. :beer:

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I'm always amazed that there is so much discussion on this topic, and few actually boil it down to what it is:

You have to have a tune to safely run a CAI. So, the only question is whether a tune alone can/will yield the same HP as a tune/CAI combo.

Even that would be tough to come to strong conclusions on, since you would have to be 100% sure the tuner was safely getting the most out of each (tune and then tune/cai) that he could.

Me personally, I love the way they look and sound. Combine that with the POSSIBLE horsepower benefits, and it's worth the $300 . . .

Users who are viewing this thread