California dam

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Just heard. Read it on Breitbart.

CA does not know it's ass from its head. For the last 10 years all the media has done is complain that the people use too much water.
No no water we don't have water. All the while the state releases millions of gallons of fresh water back to the ocean. This was all done in the middle of the so called drought.

This power play has been going on for longer than most people recognize with Gov browns dad purchasing/destroying all copies of a book from the 60's claiming there are vast amounts of water reservoirs beneath the ground water we know today.

Fact: there is no less water today than there was 1k years ago in, on, or above the earth.

Fact: CA water problem is made up so the state can control the people.

Fact: CA wants to not follow federal laws but still wants use of all its federal money plus Emergancy funds.

Fact: CA is screwed! Let all the Hollywood elites bail out the CA freeloaders!!

DropSVT

Established Member

CA does not know it's ass from its head. For the last 10 years all the media has done is complain that the people use too much water.
No no water we don't have water. All the while the state releases millions of gallons of fresh water back to the ocean. This was all done in the middle of the so called drought.

This power play has been going on for longer than most people recognize with Gov browns dad purchasing/destroying all copies of a book from the 60's claiming there are vast amounts of water reservoirs beneath the ground water we know today.

Fact: there is no less water today than there was 1k years ago in, on, or above the earth.

Fact: CA wants to not follow federal laws but still wants use of all its federal money plus Emergancy funds.

Damn are you from california?

Sent from my LGMS428 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

Yup. And the drought allowed local governments and municipalities to:

1. place water usage restrictions, or pay large fines

2. increase water costs due to lower consumption.

Some cities were required to reduce water consumption by 33-ish%, and were immediately hit with a nearly 40% increase in water price because the water provider "couldn't afford" to operate on the lower revenue. Despite not being able to explain why execs were still receiving millions in bonuses.

Our farmers are suffering because of government, not the drought.

Back to topic, the dam itself likely won't fail. The spillways are definitely hurting though and those may fail. Lots of people are in danger for the rest of the wet season.

Established Member
I was curious about real quantifiable effects on the ag sector there, should there be a significant dam or spillway failure, like when the levees failed on the Mississippi several years ago and over 100k acres were lost to production in Missouri for an extended period.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I was curious about real quantifiable effects on the ag sector there, should there be a significant dam or spillway failure, like when the levees failed on the Mississippi several years ago and over 100k acres were lost to production in Missouri for an extended period.

Most ag is below Sacramento. But the possible floods would effect some. However long term 3+ years that damn supplies water all across the state. So yes everything would be effected.

nxhappy

Established Member
flooding is BAD, I haven't seen in this bad in 10 years. People ****ing wakeboarding in the streets. I feel bad for the people in Oroville.....hopefully the damage isn't too devastating. Ironically all this rain and flooding is a good thing. I just hope CA keeps it instead of dumping it into the ****ing ocean.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
flooding is BAD, I haven't seen in this bad in 10 years. People ****ing wakeboarding in the streets. I feel bad for the people in Oroville.....hopefully the damage isn't too devastating. Ironically all this rain and flooding is a good thing. I just hope CA keeps it instead of dumping it into the ****ing ocean.

We all know that won't happen.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
That's funny. CA holding and using water nature gives us!!

Established Member
I saw a news story where they have already evacuated a fish hatchery several days ago to protect them, but just yesterday ordered evacuation of people. Kind of ironic the pecking order of what species needs to survive out there.
Are those fish the real source of illegal voters? (Just a joke, not a political statement)

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I saw a news story where they have already evacuated a fish hatchery several days ago to protect them, but just yesterday ordered evacuation of people. Kind of ironic the pecking order of what species needs to survive out there.
Are those fish the real source of illegal voters? (Just a joke, not a political statement)

From the two sentences touching on the subject I read, I think they expected to have to use the spillways when the storm hit the forecast. The spillways cause a lot of turbulence in the water, and kicks up mud and debris, which the fish hatchery can't survive.

No one thought the spillways would fail, threatening people's lives.

oldmodman

Established Member
AR-151219837.jpg
I spent every summer from 2 to 14 in Oroville. My Uncle was one of the engineers in the building of the power house inside the dam. I used to swim right where the dam is now located.
Just last year it was impossible to launch a trailerable boat at the dam due to super low water levels. The water was several hundred vertical feet below the boat ramp area. Just the rain runoff from this season has filled the lake. The dam was built as part of the California Water Project. The water from behind the dam flows all the way to Southern California. Almost all the water for the west side of Los Angeles come from there. The east side of Los Angeles gets a lot of it's water from the Colorado River.
There is no further danger from the water running over the uncontrolled emergency spillway. The only reason water was flowing over it in the first place was that the controllable spillway chute had a damaged area in it and the maintenance division was worried about water undercutting the remaining part of the chute. So for a time they shut off the controllable chute and water went over the emergency area while they dropped huge boulders into the damaged area.
Here is a pic of the water not reaching the end of the boat ramp and the extension being built. But before they finished the water fell further and was another half mile from the new ramp. So they gave up.

Users who are viewing this thread