Calling out all Turbo vendors

D.T.R

Established Member
I was just wondering...
How come on Paxton/Vortech kits that are A LOT cheaper than turbo kits, you see all the vendors lowering the price every week... Even though you think that there is no more room to go lower, the price gets better again. You'd think that with turbo setups, with higher prices there should be more margin to wiggle ? How come no body puts their turbo kits on sale? or lowers them almost $1k like the paxton just did last week ? or maybe throw injectors in with the deal? maybe there is something I'm not seeing on the picture.
Also, even with the price difference there is a good amount of people on the fence between S/C and turbo, so you'd think that if you lower your turbo kits some more that would most likely gain a lot of buyers?

alex12gt

Established Member
A lot less turbo kits and a lot of custom fab time and limited amounts of production are what cause the turbos to be higher also give the fact the parts are all made by other companies and brought together

w3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Established Member
I think it is due to most of the successful kits still being new. A lot more R&D is put into turbo kits where in the paxton you arent running as many pipes and sizing the turbo and placement is not an issue. I got my complete set up for $3500 new but thats because its for a 3v and the 5.0 stuff hasnt been out as long.

chao5.0

Established Member
the way i see it is most turbo kits are like buying the paxton kit plus headers at the same time. in the case with CPR's kit it also includes a new k-member so factor in those 2 items and you'll see why there is such a price difference.

Vic2186

Established Member
I understand where DTR is coming from there will be alot more turbo users if the price was a lil better..if you think on it the turbo kit with Injectors etc is almost a third of our cars price ! I want turbos but 7400 plus is alot where like DTR stated you can get a paxton installed with ID1000s for les than 4500!!!

D.T.R

Established Member
I do see what you guys say, but that's why the kit is $7400 and not $4300 like the paxton.
It still blows my mind how a $5300 paxton kit (with IDs) drops to $4300 over night (that's like a 15 to 20% drop) but you don't see the $7400 item drop one dollar. All the R&d, piping, etc etc should already be accounted for in the $7400 price and should be quite profitable...

D.T.R

Established Member
I understand where DTR is coming from there will be alot more turbo users if the price was a lil better..if you think on it the turbo kit with Injectors etc is almost a third of our cars price ! I want turbos but 7400 plus is alot where like DTR stated you can get a paxton installed with ID1000s for les than 4500!!!����

Exactly. I guarantee you if you sold the turbo kits for like $6500 with injectors (and they don't have to be IDs... some FICs work the same) they'd be selling probably just as many turbo kits as paxton... even thought the paxton is $2k cheaper. :shrug:

chao5.0

Established Member
Where can I go to see CPRs kit?

check his threads.

the way i see it is blowers are bolt-on and go, turbos require more work to make them work right, need proof? look at the hellion single kit, out of the box it doesn't work all that great if you go beyond the base settings. plus paxton/vortech is a big company, these guys building the turbo kits aren't as big as vortech.

CPRsm

That's a good part. Mine for example comes w a k member like you said, tubular radiator core support, headers, mid pipe and a remote expansion tank that doesn't need to be replaced. That's close to an additional 2500 that's included with mine. You may not need a lot of that but a lot of people get it eventually.
Plus I sell the kits to make money lol. They aren't making a thing on those kits after the credit card fees. The manufacturer cost to the dealer probably hasn't gone down. Turbo kits have many more man hours in making them than machined parts like blowers. If I could bolt a turbo to a CNC'd plate this would all be much cheaper lol

D.T.R

Established Member
That's a good part. Mine for example comes w a k member like you said, tubular radiator core support, headers, mid pipe and a remote expansion tank that doesn't need to be replaced. That's close to an additional 2500 that's included with mine. You may not need a lot of that but a lot of people get it eventually.
Plus I sell the kits to make money lol. They aren't making a thing on those kits after the credit card fees. The manufacturer cost to the dealer probably hasn't gone down. Turbo kits have many more man hours in making them than machined parts like blowers. If I could bolt a turbo to a CNC'd plate this would all be much cheaper lol

Thanks for the input, that's a good explanation... however, some of that doesn't apply to other vendors.
I think you're the only one offering all those supporting mods with your turbo kit, I'd like to hear what's THEIR explanation as to why the price is what it is, and doesn't drop one dollar :dw:

Eric@jpc

Established Member
I was just wondering...
How come on Paxton/Vortech kits that are A LOT cheaper than turbo kits, you see all the vendors lowering the price every week... Even though you think that there is no more room to go lower, the price gets better again. You'd think that with turbo setups, with higher prices there should be more margin to wiggle ? How come no body puts their turbo kits on sale? or lowers them almost $1k like the paxton just did last week ? or maybe throw injectors in with the deal? maybe there is something I'm not seeing on the picture.
Also, even with the price difference there is a good amount of people on the fence between S/C and turbo, so you'd think that if you lower your turbo kits some more that would most likely gain a lot of buyers?

There are alot more pieces to a turbo setup. Its not just a bracket head unit and a few pipes. Our Turbo Kit for example is all mandrel bent stainless steel tig welded. Alot of time was spent on making Jigs and you need flanges more clamps and so on. Not to mention the added cost of the Wastegates, boost controller and so on.

the way i see it is most turbo kits are like buying the paxton kit plus headers at the same time. in the case with CPR's kit it also includes a new k-member so factor in those 2 items and you'll see why there is such a price difference.

You are right and see above there are just more pieces to the puzzle.

I do see what you guys say, but that's why the kit is $7400 and not $4300 like the paxton.
It still blows my mind how a $5300 paxton kit (with IDs) drops to $4300 over night (that's like a 15 to 20% drop) but you don't see the $7400 item drop one dollar. All the R&d, piping, etc etc should already be accounted for in the $7400 price and should be quite profitable...

No thats not completely true. The blower and injectors droped in pricing there is are other pieces like the JLT BAP Plugs and in our case Extra HD belt and pulleys. SO the price of the Kit by its self went down for a limited time.

If you wanted to include the countless hours of RD in to each turbo kit it would be more then 7400 we have 1000s of dollars wrapped up and just jigs let alone the weeks it took to make the kit what it is.

Honestly we will have to sell 50 kits to get our money back on our investment

D.T.R

Established Member
I see what you're saying with the extra piping, welding, and so on... hence the $3k price difference (currently. As the paxton kit is being sold for $4300 WITH injectors, so the difference is actually more than $3k)... So i'm guessing the price difference also has a lot to do with all the time invested in R&D for these kits...

Deespeed99

Established Member
There is a big factor that you're leaving out and surprised that you don't realize it. Turbo kits (with a good turbo, which almost all of the kits come with) are good from 500whp to typically 1000whp with no changes other then a WG spring or boost controller setting. You don't need to swap pulleys, headunits, balancers or switch to different rib setups. Once you factor in the cost of the additional mods needed for a S/C to acheive those goals then it will almost always equal the same if not +/- $500-1000 dollars of a turbo kit cost.

The R&D is so critical though and Hellion proved that. Poor design and R&D and you can be out thousands of dollars. Turbos are much more tempermental when it comes to piping size, length, angle, etc. Any of these items are made incorrectly for the turbo/car and your kit is worthless. A well made kit is worth every penny over what a S/C if you look at the time and R&D needed to do it right.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
^ yeah right, I've been waiting on that one for like a yr.. i lost hope.

Chaney5.0

If you know where to look you can get turbos cheap... I am best friends with a shop owner who gets dealer pricing but still..

Only 3700 dollars into a twin kit on my c6 and those are precision turbos.

Last edited:

ebrow21

Established Member
Honestly we will have to sell 50 kits to get our money back on our investment

Just wish you all were willing to ship your kits. Getting a car from Louisiana up there is a bit cost prohibitive.

Edit: What is going to be interesting is to watch the bottom drop out of the value of the Paxton kits when 2011+ owners part out their cars.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
If you know where to look you can get turbos cheap... I am best friends with a shop owner who gets dealer pricing but still..

Only 3700 dollars into a twin kit on my c6 and those are precision turbos.

Is this one of those junkyeard special kits the GM guys make by flipping stock manifolds and what not?
I can't see a TT kit, with tubular headers, v-band everything, and brand name turbos ever being that cheap man. Unless you bought used, but that'd be apples and oranges.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread