Calling out all Turbo vendors

Nomak

Established Member
If a part (i.e. k-member) is required for the install of a FI kit then you really cant say its some kind of bonus IMO.

As a customer who wants to go fast.... I really dont care about all the R&D... or the required materials..... or what dealer cost is. etc etc....

All I care about is, How much will it cost me to make 600 RWHP? Moreover, what will be the most simple to maintain.... tune.... most relaible.... you get the idea.

Why in the name of all that is Holy would I want to spend 3k more for a turbo that is a more complex install and a more diffucult tune and far more intrusive on the vehicle?

It makes no sense at all.

I do not have FI yet. I will not have FI this year. IF I am able to afford it with tax money next year I will be calling Beef....

David

86merc

Established Member
There are advantages to a turbo. No belt slip, boost is adjustable with out having to change pulleys, boost can be ramped in unlike a set pulley ratio, no additional stress on the crank, requires less power to work (yeah, being general there) and so on. With a well built and designed kit there are advantages for sure.

Both a super charger and a turbo will make boost. Both have positives and negatives. Just depends what you are looking for, what will suit your needs best and what your budget allows.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
If a part (i.e. k-member) is required for the install of a FI kit then you really cant say its some kind of bonus IMO.

As a customer who wants to go fast.... I really dont care about all the R&D... or the required materials..... or what dealer cost is. etc etc....

All I care about is, How much will it cost me to make 600 RWHP? Moreover, what will be the most simple to maintain.... tune.... most relaible.... you get the idea.

Why in the name of all that is Holy would I want to spend 3k more for a turbo that is a more complex install and a more diffucult tune and far more intrusive on the vehicle?

It makes no sense at all.

I do not have FI yet. I will not have FI this year. IF I am able to afford it with tax money next year I will be calling Beef....

David

Well if you want the best...your gonna need the rest (of the parts that is). You want 600HP...throw some nitrous on it if your looking for bang for the buck.

CPRsm

Depends how you look at it. Just because it's required I don't think that makes it less valuable. Mine comes with a billet topped aluminum expansion tank. Something you don't need to by after the plastic one leak in the blower kit. It is required in my kit, but it doesn't leak. I'd call it some kinda bonus not to have to re-buy ;)

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
If you know where to look you can get turbos cheap... I am best friends with a shop owner who gets dealer pricing but still..

Only 3700 dollars into a twin kit on my c6 and those are precision turbos.

Yea the kit is $3700 because they're muffler location mounted turbos. How can you compare that to the turbo kits being built that mount in the engine bay? Mounting turbos in the rear like that is monkey work. Anyone can do it. It's SIMPLE. Building headers in the engine bay is a much more involved process. Your consisted of $2350 covering the minimal fab work for the turbos, 10+ feet of aluminum piping, an intercooler (prob < $500 cost for the core) a scavenger pump (which are known to fail) and misc other items. You paid half what a kit should go for but then again, mounting them like that is the not "right" way to do it. They spool like SHlT when cold and they have a ton of piping to move air through before it gets to the engine. I don't like those kits at all honestly. I feel like if you can't do it right, don't do it at all.

Precision Turbos are pretty much the best on the market. They are rated at 500hp EACH. Which in serious numbers means they can easily push 650 no problem.

I had aftermarket kooks headers already.

That also included new injectors as well as oil coolers, and IC. This is far from a junk yard job, OR used part throw together. Forums only get you so far, actually knowing people is a + in life.

It's funny how people don't read the entire post, I did say I am best friends with somebody who gets bottom dollar, but the amazingness of how allergic people are to good prices and instantly turn into dick heads. Vendors on forums make you think they give good prices on things. Most turbo kits are making the seller 200% profit out the door.

200% profit? The turbos that pictured look to be Billet Journal Bearing 6262's? Or 5862's? Whether they are 5558's, 5858's, 5862's, 6262's, or 6266's, they are all the SAME PRICE. Whole sale Distributor price (dead lowest price precision offers) is $675, plus shipping and drop ship fee if the shop has to ship them to you. I'm a precision WD and I sell ALOT of their turbos. I sell all of the above for $800-$850 shipped(max). And 95% of the time drop ship them because of all of the variations in housings and so on. So take $850 and knock off 3% for CC fees, now it's $824.50. Subtract shipping which is roughly $35 with insurance, no we're at $790. And then knock off the dropship fee of $25, = $765. So the BUSINESS profits $90 (at best). That's what, 12% ??? You find me another industry where an $850 item yields a 12% profit, because I don't know any. And THAT'S the dead honest truth.

CPR, Hellion, JPC, anyone that sells precision is paying that for those turbos. Even to get it into their door it costs more than $700.

Oh and btw, their pricing is going up as of monday. It's not known to what yet though.

CPRsm

My one turbo costs more than two of those turbos. So you see why I love the phrase "If you're going to spend "X", you might as well get twins" LOL

Last edited:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Its like selling a new car, you might give them a deal on something in order to get a sale. Hell the original Xbox Microsoft lost like $20 per console, BUT they where banking they could make up for it in the licensing fees the game developers had to pay...and it worked.

So if they are selling for a $40 loss, and they are able to sell you a fuel system or even a boost a pump its not a loss anymore.

Stop making crazy threads and just order a kit from Dustin already! Then come down and I'll tune it.....after I get mine dialed in:rockon:

Chris

it's called a "loss leader" in the retail world... you sell an item at a loss to get people in the door where they buy other things at a mark-up...Terry and Justin are not the first to employ this strategy...its been going on as long as there has been competition in the marketplace

Yes several companies do exactly this. Also on the car lot they also can get kickbacks for selling you an extended warrantee and even a higher interest rate loan from the bank. Walmart, when getting into the Pharmacy market was selling at a loss because why you were in the store guess what? I need one of these one of those oh and ill take 2 of these because they are on "sale". Sony lost tons of money on the Playstation 3 units but made it up with the licensing fees and game sells. It can promote loyalty also.
It was brought up about profit margin verses amoun of goods sold. You can have a high profit margin and sell less goods and still make the same amount of money then a low profit margin and selling in huge quantities. Like fuel has a profit margin of 2% but they sell it by the boat load. You can also get into Scaler Economies which was where someone was leading into this thread. The more of something you can produce the cost per unit goes down. Think H. Ford and the assembly line. However this can get you into trouble also as you can produce a lot of product cheaply but if no one is buying then its still a loss.(think 2008-2010 automotive industry). Inventory is a liability not an asset(although creative accounting can show differently on a P&L sheet) Manufactures/Buisness learn and adapt or die.
Another good trick is to be the "popular" to buy from. You aren't in the "in club" if you don't buy from -----insert name here-----. You're not cool if you don't own this brand-----. Image is everything to some people. I've watched guys over pay for parts simply because they bought from this person in the magazine/on the forums/ect. It makes them feel special. Some vendors do offer more perceived value then others. Capitalism baby!! I love it!! In the end the customer wins and good Buisness profit from the hard work and proper Buisness plan to make the customer happy.

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Yes several companies do exactly this. Also on the car lot they also can get kickbacks for selling you an extended warrantee and even a higher interest rate loan from the bank. Walmart, when getting into the Pharmacy market was selling at a loss because why you were in the store guess what? I need one of these one of those oh and ill take 2 of these because they are on "sale". Sony lost tons of money on the Playstation 3 units but made it up with the licensing fees and game sells. It can promote loyalty also.
It was brought up about profit margin verses amoun of goods sold. You can have a high profit margin and sell less goods and still make the same amount of money then a low profit margin and selling in huge quantities. Like fuel has a profit margin of 2% but they sell it by the boat load. You can also get into Scaler Economies which was where someone was leading into this thread. The more of something you can produce the cost per unit goes down. Think H. Ford and the assembly line. However this can get you into trouble also as you can produce a lot of product cheaply but if no one is buying then its still a loss.(think 2008-2010 automotive industry). Inventory is a liability not an asset(although creative accounting can show differently on a P&L sheet) Manufactures/Buisness learn and adapt or die.
Another good trick is to be the "popular" to buy from. You aren't in the "in club" if you don't buy from -----insert name here-----. You're not cool if you don't own this brand-----. Image is everything to some people. I've watched guys over pay for parts simply because they bought from this person in the magazine/on the forums/ect. It makes them feel special. Some vendors do offer more perceived value then others. Capitalism baby!! I love it!! In the end the customer wins and good Buisness profit from the hard work and proper Buisness plan to make the customer happy.

QFT. Most intelligent post in this thread

CPRsm

There seems to be a small confusion here with manufacturer vs dealer. It's easy for a dealer to give away their profit. Their profit comes from a phone call to the manufacturer. They can risk making nothing because there's nothing invested. I sell a kit a cost and I've wasted a week of my time. My over head is high enough I can stay in bed if I wanted to lose money. Rather watch cartoons at home if I had a choice. Sure beats going into work for a week to lose money lol.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
There seems to be a small confusion here with manufacturer vs dealer. It's easy for a dealer to give away their profit. Their profit comes from a phone call to the manufacturer. They can risk making nothing because there's nothing invested. I sell a kit a cost and I've wasted a week of my time. My over head is high enough I can stay in bed if I wanted to lose money. Rather watch cartoons at home if I had a choice. Sure beats going into work for a week to lose money lol.

exactly,

time is def money. that's why it's easy to give away a base file for a car, but a complete remote tune is a different thing, you may end up with 4, 6, 8 hours remote tuning a car, every hour is worth something. You have to take that into account as well

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
DTR..you know you want a single turbo kit :)
I've been always inclined towards the hellion TT... but Dustin knows already that his kit is what I'd go with if I wanted a single...
Its like selling a new car, you might give them a deal on something in order to get a sale. Hell the original Xbox Microsoft lost like $20 per console, BUT they where banking they could make up for it in the licensing fees the game developers had to pay...and it worked.

So if they are selling for a $40 loss, and they are able to sell you a fuel system or even a boost a pump its not a loss anymore.

Stop making crazy threads and just order a kit from Dustin already! Then come down and I'll tune it.....after I get mine dialed in:rockon:

Chris
Can you just.... STOP lol
You're going to make me go with a big single lol
DSCN0497_zps089cfaaa.jpg

DSCN0492_zps397590e1.jpg

DSCN0494_zpsa108ab93.jpg

734281_588969717799165_483591311_n_zps51ed6683.jpg

884908_589746891054781_2110063991_o_zpsd22abbd7.jpg

Precision Turbos are pretty much the best on the market. They are rated at 500hp EACH. Which in serious numbers means they can easily push 650 no problem.

I had aftermarket kooks headers already.

That also included new injectors as well as oil coolers, and IC. This is far from a junk yard job, OR used part throw together. Forums only get you so far, actually knowing people is a + in life.

It's funny how people don't read the entire post, I did say I am best friends with somebody who gets bottom dollar, but the amazingness of how allergic people are to good prices and instantly turn into dick heads. Vendors on forums make you think they give good prices on things. Most turbo kits are making the seller 200% profit out the door.
Well that's why!! duuh lol
Your kit is rear mounted, which I would never run lol...
Your kit basically doesn't have tubular manifolds like ours, that's exactly why it's the price it is. Your PTE turbos are also quite small and not as expensive. Those are easily a couple hundred bucks cheaper than v-band billet 6266s like on the Hellion kit.

StevenStarke

Established Member
I've been always inclined towards the hellion TT... but Dustin knows already that his kit is what I'd go with if I wanted a single...

Well that's why!! duuh lol
Your kit is rear mounted, which I would never run lol...
Your kit basically doesn't have tubular manifolds like ours, that's exactly why it's the price it is. Your PTE turbos are also quite small and not as expensive. Those are easily a couple hundred bucks cheaper than v-band billet 6266s like on the Hellion kit.

I think he has 5858's, or 5558's, and they're actually the same price as the 6262 or 6266, LOL. They're all the same from 5558 up to 6266.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member

I'm just looking out for ya man!

So, when do I need to make time on the dyno?

Pull...that...Trigger...

StevenStarke

Established Member
I'm not sure about that...

LOL. I'm a WD for precision. I sell their turbos every week. I'm not lying to you.

*Edit. I'm sorry, as of TODAY, the new price sheet reflects a $50 difference in retail of the 6262 vs the 5858. So the 5558 and 5858 retail at $1049 and the 6262 retail at $1099. When you look at the cost though, the diff is only $30. But before TODAY, they all retailed at $999 for JB and $1599 for BB.

6262 - Retail is $1099 in JB and $1699 in BB.
http://www.precisionturbo.net/products/details/Street-and-Race-Turbocharger---TA6262-CEA®/237

5558 - Retail is $1049 in JB and $1649 in BB.
http://www.precisionturbo.net/products/details/Street-and-Race-Turbocharger---PT5558-CEA®/225

6266 - Retail is $1099 in JB and $1699 in BB.
http://www.precisionturbo.net/products/details/Street-and-Race-Turbocharger---TA6266-CEA®/239

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread