Calling out all Turbo vendors

CPRsm

Yup yup same price for all of them.

On the TT vs single front, some new super squirrel technology coming out. On a car running bottom 5's, the car picks up 2 full mph in the 1/8. At his weight calcs made the power gain about 100rwhp. Here's the second best part. The upgrade actually lost 20rwhp on the dyno! The best part is that shit's going on my single kit lol

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member

On the TT vs single front, some new super squirrel technology coming out. On a car running bottom 5's, the car picks up 2 full mph in the 1/8. At his weight calcs made the power gain about 100rwhp. Here's the second best part. The upgrade actually lost 20rwhp on the dyno! The best part is that shit's going on my single kit lol

Good thing I still hold a clearance....

86merc

Established Member

ahhh man! Does that mean I am going to be forced to buy a new turbo? :whine:

Chaney5.0

Yea the kit is $3700 because they're muffler location mounted turbos. How can you compare that to the turbo kits being built that mount in the engine bay? Mounting turbos in the rear like that is monkey work. Anyone can do it. It's SIMPLE. Building headers in the engine bay is a much more involved process. Your consisted of $2350 covering the minimal fab work for the turbos, 10+ feet of aluminum piping, an intercooler (prob < $500 cost for the core) a scavenger pump (which are known to fail) and misc other items. You paid half what a kit should go for but then again, mounting them like that is the not "right" way to do it. They spool like SHlT when cold and they have a ton of piping to move air through before it gets to the engine. I don't like those kits at all honestly. I feel like if you can't do it right, don't do it at all.

200% profit? The turbos that pictured look to be Billet Journal Bearing 6262's? Or 5862's? Whether they are 5558's, 5858's, 5862's, 6262's, or 6266's, they are all the SAME PRICE. Whole sale Distributor price (dead lowest price precision offers) is $675, plus shipping and drop ship fee if the shop has to ship them to you. I'm a precision WD and I sell ALOT of their turbos. I sell all of the above for $800-$850 shipped(max). And 95% of the time drop ship them because of all of the variations in housings and so on. So take $850 and knock off 3% for CC fees, now it's $824.50. Subtract shipping which is roughly $35 with insurance, no we're at $790. And then knock off the dropship fee of $25, = $765. So the BUSINESS profits $90 (at best). That's what, 12% ??? You find me another industry where an $850 item yields a 12% profit, because I don't know any. And THAT'S the dead honest truth.

CPR, Hellion, JPC, anyone that sells precision is paying that for those turbos. Even to get it into their door it costs more than $700.

Oh and btw, their pricing is going up as of monday. It's not known to what yet though.

Everything you said is correct. The 200% profit is what I am saying when you buy a "complete" KIT from a distributor. NOT whole sale price on individual parts when you buy it piece by piece. Which is what the OP is seeing. He is comparing kit to kit, Turbo kit to SC kit, which is why he thinks Turbo kits are so expensive... It's not the Manu who is getting the profit.

:beer:

CPRsm

Everything you said is correct. The 200% profit is what I am saying when you buy a "complete" KIT from a distributor.
You've gone off the deep end lol. On my 7300 dollar kit you think my cost is only 2433.00?! If turbo companies made that kind of profit they wouldn't fold all the time.

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
Everything you said is correct. The 200% profit is what I am saying when you buy a "complete" KIT from a distributor. NOT whole sale price on individual parts when you buy it piece by piece. Which is what the OP is seeing. He is comparing kit to kit, Turbo kit to SC kit, which is why he thinks Turbo kits are so expensive... It's not the Manu who is getting the profit.

:beer:

I hear you man, but it's still nowhere NEAR half of what your saying. If a Kit COSTS a manufacturer $5000, 100% profit would be them getting 10k for it. 200% profit would be them getting 15k for it. In all reality, the kits cost them lets say around $6000 and they sell for $7000. But that cost of $6000 is based off of them building the kit from a JIG. Before they could have those jigs, they spent 100+ hours building the first kit, testing it, changing it, wasting money, track days, research, phone calls, bloody knuckles. And when they were done, they had to remove the entire kit, build jigs which cost more money and time and THEN they really need to build a 2nd kit from the jigs and fit it to the car. If you think that happens the first time, it doesn't. Small changes to jigs are made. Over and over and over. It's Probably another $6000 getting all of that done. SO it takes roughly 6 kits JUST to break even. And then after that you get to start making a profit. And these guys like JPC, CPR, Hellion, etc.. SHOULD make a profit. And eventually they do or else they wouldn't do it. If not for these guys doing all of this we wouldn't have kits to choose from.

*Keep in mind, I just threw in random numbers that should be relevant to each other in proportionate value and not to be considered ACTUAL costs. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread