Can changing the position of the MAF cause idle surge?

Johngreg

Established Member
i have a stock 04 cobra that had a cold air intake on stock MAF and tubing. Which I replaced with the stock intake and might of changed the position of the MAF. I also removed the mid pipe, added a off road x and now have codes for the rear o2s and one code P2272 for stuck lean? What could cause the idle surge? It didn’t do it before these two modifications.
Would the check engine light cause idle surge? I’m planning to use mil eliminators now

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the check engine light wont cause anything, things being off cause the light. Changing the MAF position can cause issues, I would look at a picture of a stock terminator and put the maf back in the stock orientation. Make sure the connector is fully seated, make sure you dont have any gaps/air leaks post maf. You can also try unhooking the battery for a few minutes (turning the headlights on should completely drain the system) to wipe the learned memory, then reconnect and let the car idle with AC off for a few minutes to re-learn the idle

p2272 is for the rear sensor on the driver side. I would figure out the rough running issue first, this code could be a byproduct of that issue or an exhaust leak etc... usually removing the cats gives you a catalyst below thresh hold code.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Post pictures of your maf setup. Also you sure you dont have any exhaust leaks. Hows fuel pressure?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
You won’t get p2272 from removing the cats?

Removing the cats would typically show rich I do believe as it’s not cleaning anything up, hence the below efficiency code you usually get.

Did you put a different filter on it or oil the filter? Over oiling can screw up the maf reading, use maf safe electrical cleaner (doesnt leave a residue)

Johngreg

Established Member
Yes it had a cold air intake outside the fender on stock MAF and tubing and I put the stock housing on and it did change the position of the MAF but i believe it only goeson one way on a stock housing?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yes it had a cold air intake outside the fender on stock MAF and tubing and I put the stock housing on and it did change the position of the MAF but i believe it only goeson one way on a stock housing?
Put back the stock intake complete. The bend screws with the maf reading

Johngreg

Established Member
Put back the stock intake complete. The bend screws with the maf reading
Well I found out it was a mach 1 airbox , so there’s no bend at the end. Could that cause a idle surge? I’ll be throwing my cold air in back today and testing

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Well I found out it was a mach 1 airbox , so there’s no bend at the end. Could that cause a idle surge? I’ll be throwing my cold air in back today and testing
The mach 1 air box is the same as the cobra and gt. Other than the top opening for the ram air.

Users who are viewing this thread