Can the new Bronco stack up against the Jeep Wrangler?

blk02edge

Established Member
my feelings exactly. It won’t kill the wrangler but it will put up a great fight. It is close enough for some people go Bronco instead of Wrangler. It will not win off road but it will surely win on road.
Unfortunately for Wrangler you have to be veeeery specific to where the Wrangler will compete offroad, and that's a very small segment. Like I've said before, stock for stock the Wrangler isn't going annnywhere that this thing won't be able to follow it.. meanwhile the Bronco owners will be tapping their fingers waiting for the Wrangler to get out of the way.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know, but when I think of Jeep, I think of cheap. Cheap interior/cheap exterior. That's just how I see it. That's how they got the slogan, "Cheap Jeep". lol
I think they've come a long way since then though, not positive, never had any interest in them at all.

I think the Bronco just surpassed the Jeep with the technology. And the better looks. And the better interior. And,....lol

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Unfortunately for Wrangler you have to be veeeery specific to where the Wrangler will win offroad, and that's a very small segment. Like I've said before, stock for stock the Wrangler isn't going annnywhere that this thing won't be able to follow it.. meanwhile the Bronco owners will be tapping their fingers waiting for the Wrangler to get out of the way.

I agree. Just fixed one small little tiny thing.

blk02edge

Established Member
I agree. Just fixed one small little tiny thing.
Win what? Lol

Jeep the KING of oofroad
Screenshot_20200719-064349_(1).png

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I don't know, but when I think of Jeep, I think of cheap. Cheap interior/cheap exterior. That's just how I see it. That's how they got the slogan, "Cheap Jeep". lol
I think they've come a long way since then though, not positive, never had any interest in them at all.

I think the Bronco just surpassed the Jeep with the technology. And the better looks. And the better interior. And,....lol

They are super cheap, inside and out... and they leak. I'll be curious to see how the Bronco roof seals hold up over time.

john11gt

Established Member

The bronco has a lot of cool and neat little features for sure and given that you can get lockers both front and rear, it will be able to go a lot of places. No doubt.

that being said, if you want to see how it will do off-road, compare it to a Tacoma or 4 runner because that has the closest similarities. The only thing this competes with the wrangler on is the fact that the roof and doors come off.

Also, while all the little things the bronco has are neat, i think that this will be the start of a quick rise in MSRP for both the jeep and bronco.

Now the wrangler will have to upgrade and change things that the mall crawlers are attracted to in the bronco and with that the price is going to go up, Ford will then match the msrp. Just look at what’s happened to the 1/2 ton and other pickup truck segments over the years.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The bronco has a lot of cool and neat little features for sure and given that you can get lockers both front and rear, it will be able to go a lot of places. No doubt.

that being said, if you want to see how it will do off-road, compare it to a Tacoma or 4 runner because that has the closest similarities. The only thing this competes with the wrangler on is the fact that the roof and doors come off.

Also, while all the little things the bronco has are neat, i think that this will be the start of a quick rise in MSRP for both the jeep and bronco.

Now the wrangler will have to upgrade and change things that the mall crawlers are attracted to in the bronco and with that the price is going to go up, Ford will then match the msrp. Just look at what’s happened to the 1/2 ton and other pickup truck segments over the years.

Actually the Ranger compares to the Tacoma, and actually gives them a run for there money with a better driving experience.

Ford has been doing a great job with making come backs and for all around has been beating the competition.

Now im hopeing ford in a few years makes a come back in the car division.

john11gt

Established Member
Actually the Ranger compares to the Tacoma, and actually gives them a run for there money with a better driving experience.

Ford has been doing a great job with making come backs and for all around has been beating the competition.

but isn’t the bronco based on the ranger frame?

john11gt

Established Member
Correct it is, but bronco is full 4 corner coil springs, rangers use coil front, leaf rear.

I had to do a quick google and the 4 runner also has a coil sprung solid rear, the Tacoma has a leafs.

So the bronco would be more comparable to the 4 runner.

I get that people want to compare the bronco and the wrangler but the core of the vehicles is the suspension and they are fundamentally different.

john11gt

Established Member
Correct it is, but bronco is full 4 corner coil springs, rangers use coil front, leaf rear.

This is a quick video I found and it shows the lack of articulation you get with IFS. There’s a handful of examples just in the first 5 minutes.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

did you not read the specs on the Bronco?lol. No bro, wrong, wrong, WRONG. Bronco will shit all over the Tacoma and 4Runner.

Ranger does not compete with the Tacoma. Ranger is a good truck for moms and gramps. Lol

blk02edge

Established Member
This is a quick video I found and it shows the lack of articulation you get with IFS. There’s a handful of examples just in the first 5 minutes.

The Toyota IFS has never had an actual focus on offroad or even thought put into it as far as rock rock crawling goes, the Bronco was engineered with a locker and warranty with an OEM 35. Apples and oranges. I don't expect you guys to understand when you have never been in a thought out IFS build.

This is a new Ranger with a bolt on front kit using the same pivot points and if you draw a center line between the wheels youll see the flex is actually quite substantial, more than enough for any situation with the correct tire and a locker.
Screenshot_20200627-210636(1).png

john11gt

Established Member
The Toyota IFS has never had an actual focus on offroad or even thought put into it as far as rock rock crawling goes, the Bronco was engineered with a locker and warranty with an OEM 35. Apples and oranges. I don't expect you guys to understand when you have never been in a thought out IFS build.

This is a new Ranger with a bolt on front kit using the same pivot points and if you draw a center line between the wheels youll see the flex is actually quite substantial, more than enough for any situation with the correct tire and a locker.
View attachment 1652850

95% of the reason the bronco will do well off-road is because of the lockers. Not the ifs.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
95% of the reason the bronco will do well off-road is because of the lockers. Not the ifs.

nope. Lockers are great (so is sway bar disconnect) but the “Real” reason that the Bronco will do great is because of its clearance and approach, departure and break over angles. It will also do incredibly well due to its ability to run 35+ tires easily.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

View attachment 1652850

I am far form an offroad expert, but how “stock” is that ranger you are referencing? I think I see some far from factory hardware under there, along with some body modifications.

john11gt

Established Member
nope. Lockers are great (so is sway bar disconnect) but the “Real” reason that the Bronco will do great is because of its clearance and approach, departure and break over angles. It will also do incredibly well due to its ability to run 35+ tires easily.

If you say so. It’s going to be real obvious when people start taking these things out without lockers.

ground clearance doesn’t mean much when half your tires are hanging in the air with the power going to the wrong ones.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Can’t stand that guy. He talks to much with little video or comparisons.

Unfortunately for Wrangler you have to be veeeery specific to where the Wrangler will compete offroad, and that's a very small segment. Like I've said before, stock for stock the Wrangler isn't going annnywhere that this thing won't be able to follow it.. meanwhile the Bronco owners will be tapping their fingers waiting for the Wrangler to get out of the way.
That’s not what the wrangler faithful say. Then again, to get anywhere they need to add a 6+ long arm suspension.

Too bad the ranger looks like crap!

Users who are viewing this thread