Can the new Bronco stack up against the Jeep Wrangler?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
This will be very good for the Wrangler and the segment. Finally some variety and real competition.

You can bet your ass that team Jeep isn't going to sit by and be a stationary target. We've all seen the too numerous to count and ridiculous "official" concepts Jeep has shown over the years, so we know what they are capable of making. I think we'll find out shortly just what's actually legal to make and sell. They'll turn it up to 11.

The Wrangler is still the king, and will surely not go quietly. The war is just beginning. Should be fun!
I hope ford does not void the warranty on any 7sp with 35+ tires after parading their showcase vehicle to everyone. Evidently engineering is saying no to the 7sp and sasquatch. Im guessing it did not pass the durability testing. Ford is getting killed on warranty costs over all product lines already...

ArabianOak

Established Member
Really love my wrangler sport with the 4 banger turbo and 10 speed. But this looks really nice as well. Always preferred the ford interiors over jeeps! That’s. It saying much though. Lolol.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Wrangler sold 220K last year. Maybe 10-20k of those are the genuine, honest to goodness hardcore jeep guys. The rest are open market. I think where Ford really nailed it, is being able to get the Sasquatch package on any trim level. The good offroad stuff isn't locked into some $40k+ trim package. If they make it so you can get a base with the Sasquatch package for $35-38k before any other add-ons.... home run.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Its gonna be a screamer. Look at the performance it does on the F150. Add those 4.7 gears and its gonna be impressive.
Yea the 2.7 is pretty shocking. I can only imagine with a tune. The thing will fly even on 35's
Nice!!!
Maybe when the time comes, I'll be looking into this machine.
2 door, 2.7, 10 speed auto, fully loaded.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
This will be very good for the Wrangler and the segment. Finally some variety and real competition.

You can bet your ass that team Jeep isn't going to sit by and be a stationary target. We've all seen the too numerous to count and ridiculous "official" concepts Jeep has shown over the years, so we know what they are capable of making. I think we'll find out shortly just what's actually legal to make and sell. They'll turn it up to 11.

The Wrangler is still the king, and will surely not go quietly. The war is just beginning. Should be fun!

This, we own a 2012 Wrangler on 37s that we off-road often. I have been waiting for another brand to release something competitive for years. I am very excited to see the war between the two over the next few years.

If these do well on trails we will heavily considering swapping out our Jeep in a few years.

I would be pretty happy with a Gen 1 Raptor, Bronco, and the Gen 2 Viper GTS in the garages.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Why badlands and not wildtrak
I am still debating that very question. The badlands is more capable off road but I already have that capability with the rubicon. I may switch to the wild track when it comes time to lock in my order.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Ford Bronco has a cult like status too, think it will sell just fine even if they don’t win over many jeep tards.

+1 There are a lot of Bronco fans out there that don't have one simply because there wasn't a current one offered. They moved onto other newer vehicles to suit their daily needs because they aren't going to drive a 25+ year old Bronco, but now that a new one is offered a lot of people will be dropping their regular daily drivers to pick one up.

kaz109

Established Member
I am still debating that very question. The badlands is more capable off road but I already have that capability with the rubicon. I may switch to the wild track when it comes time to lock in my order.

Do you already own a truck? At this point i am juat trying to justify to myself why I should get one lol.....i have a truck and my wife would never get rid of her Q8 for a bronco so it would just be adding another vehicle

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
There’s a really good article on motor trend Instagram comparing the two. Basically says the bronco only matches the rubicon on 35’s but can’t match crawl ratio. Even with the supposed 10-17% greater suspension travel bronco will have trouble matching the rubicon.

Looking at Fords numbers more closely they seem to be greater than they actually are. Unfortunate. Does anyone know the approach/departure/breakover on 33 in oem badlands?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
There’s a really good article on motor trend Instagram comparing the two. Basically says the bronco only matches the rubicon on 35’s but can’t match crawl ratio. Even with the supposed 10-17% greater suspension travel bronco will have trouble matching the rubicon.

Looking at Fords numbers more closely they seem to be greater than they actually are. Unfortunate. Does anyone know the approach/departure/breakover on 33 in oem badlands?

Thing is, no one expected it to outclass the Wrangler on the trails before it unveiled and I don't think they care now that it is unveiled. People just like what they see and that is all Ford cares about. Making it offroad better and making it more capable just makes it easier for them to sell it, but I think they have done enough to make people want it.

blk02edge

Established Member

That article wasn't much of a comparison. The crawl ratio doesn't matter all that much when you throw a torque converter in the mix.(meaning there will be plenty of low end torque and gear reduction to not need to worry). Only totally relevant on the manual versions. As tough as it is getting good comparisons with lap times in cars, oem vs oem comparisons on 4x4s is even harder. I suspect about equal capability in the technical front and the Bronco will be better at virtually everything else.
The biggest shame about the Bronco is no 3.0 diesel and no V8

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Thing is, no one expected it to outclass the Wrangler on the trails before it unveiled and I don't think they care now that it is unveiled. People just like what they see and that is all Ford cares about. Making it offroad better and making it more capable just makes it easier for them to sell it, but I think they have done enough to make people want it.

my feelings exactly. It won’t kill the wrangler but it will put up a great fight. It is close enough for some people go Bronco instead of Wrangler. It will not win off road but it will surely win on road.

Users who are viewing this thread